• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HKB

Ultimate Member
    Apr 14, 2007
    Finksburg, MD
    I would prefer someone that does it on the side rather then a shop(shop rates are $$$$)
    I have some rust repair that I started on my Jeep Comanche but I just can't find the time to finish it. The time frame I would to have it done is by July 1st.
    Let me know

trbon8r

Ultimate Member
    I'm going to bump this up. I also need an estimate for some work.

I am thinking about trading in my truck later this summer and have an 04 Silverado with some body damage. It is a great truck, but my better half managed to rip the side out of the truck in a parking lot. There is damage to the passenger door, extra cab, and the bed. Yeah she got me good. :sad20: I need to find out if it is worth it to fix the truck or sell it as is. We had one shop estimate at $3k. No way I'm putting $3k into a 10 year old work truck with 160k miles on it. That was the "insurance company" price. I need a realistic price for what it really costs to fix on a cash money deal. I'm in AA County.

Tower43

USMC - 0311
    Jul 6, 2010
    Lusby, MD
    I'll also chime in, I need to get a hood painted gloss black..... but shops around So MD are quoting almost $1000 for a damn hood!

matt

No one special
    Apr 9, 2011
    I'll also chime in, I need to get a hood painted gloss black..... but shops around So MD are quoting almost $1000 for a damn hood!

I can paint- it's not in a booth, and it's not "Benz" perfection but it's pretty damn good. One color, with clear over it- send me a PM we can talk. It won't be 1k. (Or even half that)

(I painted 5 or so M/C's and the replacement bumper on my M5 and only got compliments and upon trading it in, the bumper wasn't noticed.)

salopez

Apr 11, 2011
    Mt airy Md
    I need the hood of my suburban painted one color too...let me know.

also need cab corners done of a ford super duty...any help would be awesome

wasntme

Jun 10, 2012
    Well if you guys were closer to harford county I would give you a good deal here at my shop

wasntme

Jun 10, 2012
    if you would like to bring it by for us to take a gander my contact info is in my signature

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    Well if you guys were closer to harford county I would give you a good deal here at my shop

Any chance you guys have any experience spraying plasti-dip? I've been thinking about coating my whole car, if I can do it for a fair price.

enjoi1968

Streets Closed Pizza Boy.
    May 10, 2013
    Any chance you guys have any experience spraying plasti-dip? I've been thinking about coating my whole car, if I can do it for a fair price.

Please don't. Ive seen this done already, it looks like a pile of sb281.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

I can paint- it's not in a booth, and it's not "Benz" perfection but it's pretty damn good. One color, with clear over it- send me a PM we can talk. It won't be 1k. (Or even half that)

(I painted 5 or so M/C's and the replacement bumper on my M5 and only got compliments and upon trading it in, the bumper wasn't noticed.)

Matt,
    Would you be interested in painting a whole vehicle? I have an older Jeep Grand Wagoneer "Woody" I'm looking to get painted. I'll do all the masking myself.

PM sent

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    Please don't. Ive seen this done already, it looks like a pile of sb281.

If it's sprayed by a pro in a booth it comes out just as good as matte paint. The ugly jobs you've seen were likely rattle can jobs in the backyard.

@HKB: I've checked with a couple of the DYC installers. The quotes have been crazy so far.

matt

No one special
    Apr 9, 2011
    If it's sprayed by a pro in a booth it comes out just as good as matte paint. The ugly jobs you've seen were likely rattle can jobs in the backyard.

@HKB: I've checked with a couple of the DYC installers. The quotes have been crazy so far.

Believe it or not- matte paint is harder to spray than semi-metallic/non-metallic and clear. The matte will show EVERY imperfection, where as the semi-metallic paint, actually does a great job hiding imperfections because the paint is "broken up" by the flakes. The clear also helps to reduce the imperfections by adding depth to the paint. Matte- that's all you got, nothing to hide/breakup anything, and when you spot that imperfection, well, it's all you'll ever see if you're looking at your car...

enjoi1968

May 10, 2013
    Hush, grown ups are having a conversation. :sad20::rolleyes:

Not the truth, you want to hear young padawan.

Backyard rattlecan diy always suck. But if you put lipstick on a pig... Its still a pig. Might look nice after being done, put 40k miles on it then come tell me how it still looks soooooooo good. :rolleyes: just trying to help stop the inevitable but hey to each their own wants and expenses.

HKB

Ultimate Member
    Apr 14, 2007
    Finksburg, MD
    Nice first two posts, plasti dip is not ment to be permanent FYI.
    Now hit the newb thread and make a introduction post.

enjoi1968

May 10, 2013
    Faceplam. Not permanent you say? Amazing. Shall we get on a slightly even level perhaps. Yes I'm a new member of the forum but not an inept 17 year old punching keys.
    Post count aside I figured I would interject my years of body work and painting experiences without going into a wall of text. Am I a professional? No I'm don't do do cars 40 hours a week. But my cousin has been for 20 some years, has his booth in a garage next to his house and I have been side by side with him on jobs for 10 years at least playing assistant. When I wanted my defender done in something 'protective' yet cheap, I thought plasti-dip. I researched on car forums, saw a few diys in person using HF air tools and even got to see a few "show cars" where people paid decent money to have them done. That was enough for me to not even want my off road bash toy to have it. As you said, its not meant to be permanent, so why would you use it as an all over job? Seems to answer itself.

I tried to summarize that by not saying, hey guy, its gonna look like shit.

So with that /walloftext

Oh and I forgot to add: http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=120828

RojoSolette

Sep 10, 2012
    Silver Spring
    I know how do the painting and corrosion control, I worked as and airframer on the CH53E heavy lift helicopter for the marine corp for the last 5 years. also I'm free till next month. I would be willing to do it for cheap (cost of paint) plus small tip depending on severity of work need. I'm experience in metal work, corrosion control, and paint. Just pm me and we can set something up.

Faceplam. Not permanent you say? Amazing. Shall we get on a slightly even level perhaps. Yes I'm a new member of the forum but not an inept 17 year old punching keys.
    Post count aside I figured I would interject my years of body work and painting experiences without going into a wall of text. Am I a professional? No I'm don't do do cars 40 hours a week. But my cousin has been for 20 some years, has his booth in a garage next to his house and I have been side by side with him on jobs for 10 years at least playing assistant. When I wanted my defender done in something 'protective' yet cheap, I thought plasti-dip. I researched on car forums, saw a few diys in person using HF air tools and even got to see a few "show cars" where people paid decent money to have them done. That was enough for me to not even want my off road bash toy to have it. As you said, its not meant to be permanent, so why would you use it as an all over job? Seems to answer itself.

I tried to summarize that by not saying, hey guy, its gonna look like shit.

So with that /walloftext

Oh and I forgot to add: http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=120828

With all due respect to "HKB", I think the new member "enjoi1968" just owned him on this post. Him proving he did an introduction post a week ago got me to chuckle.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom