• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    picked this up recently. from my research its a Masonic Kights Templar Fraternal sword.
    it was made between 1867 and 1873 in germany for the DB Howell store in New York.

Attachments

• masonic sword.JPG
      masonic sword.JPG
      37.9 KB · Views: 265

Semper Noctem

Desk Rabbit
    Aug 9, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    It's gorgeous. I am a mason and appreciate these types of swords a lot.

Mind if I asked what it set you back? Take care of that piece if history. Someone loved it for a period of time.

GUNSnROTORS

nude member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 7, 2013
    hic sunt dracones
    :thumbsup: Very cool!

Strange, Free Masonry keeps coming up in my life lately. An Uncle (Mom's side) died earlier this month and his obituary mentioned that he was a 32nd degree Scottish Rite Free Mason. Another Uncle (Father's side) called me just today to let me know he's leaving me the Free Mason rings of my Grandfather and Great Grandfather. I knew I had relatives involved in the past, but had no idea there were so many.

Multifaceted

Jerk of all Trades
    Jan 10, 2013
    Adams County, PA
    Do you have any closer pictures? I don't see much Masonic symbolism at all, really. I believe you, but just by looking at it I don't even see the Eye of Providence, or Square and Compass, or the Pillars, or anything. Is this perhaps from a different rite other than the blue or white lodges?

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    Do you have any closer pictures? I don't see much Masonic symbolism at all, really. I believe you, but just by looking at it I don't even see the Eye of Providence, or Square and Compass, or the Pillars, or anything. Is this perhaps from a different rite other than the blue or white lodges?

The Knights Templar is an international philanthropic chivalric order affiliated with Freemasonry. Unlike the initial degrees conferred in a Masonic Lodge, which only require a belief in a Supreme Being regardless of religious affiliation, the Knights Templar is one of several additional Masonic Orders in which membership is open only to Freemasons who profess a belief in the Christian religion. The full title of this Order is The United Religious, Military and Masonic Orders of the Temple and of St John of Jerusalem, Palestine, Rhodes and Malta. The word "United" in this title indicates that more than one historical tradition and more than one actual Order are jointly controlled within this system. The individual Orders 'united' within this system are principally the Knights of the Temple (Knights Templar), the Knights of Malta, the Knights of St Paul, and only within the York Rite, the Knights of the Red Cross. The Order derives its name from the historical Knights Templar, but does not claim any direct lineal descent from the original Templar order.

Attachments

• Knights_Templar_Logo_(Freemasonry).gif
      Knights_Templar_Logo_(Freemasonry).gif
      18.9 KB · Views: 198
    • templar sword.JPG
      templar sword.JPG
      48.9 KB · Views: 198

Multifaceted

Jerk of all Trades
    Jan 10, 2013
    Adams County, PA
    That helps, I can see better now, thanks. Not very familiar with that rite, but that is a very neat artifact you've got there. Where's the rest of your collection?

rdc

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2010
    Middlefingurton
    Definitely looks like a Templar sword. Knight Templar is a degree in the York Rite of Freemasonry. There doesn't appear to be any Blue Lodge symbolism on that sword.
    That said it could have been used by a Tyler in a Blue Lodge. They sometimes use swords given to them by other bodies. My lodge uses a sword that came from a DeMolay chapter.
    Neat find either way. I'm always on the lookout for a good Masonic door knocker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    nexgen98

Latest threads

Top Bottom