• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggie313

Molon Labe
    Feb 23, 2010
    Essex
    Went to my first one in Waldorf Md last weekend. Had a Blast. Got 8 runs total. First 2 dry, next 2 pouring rain, last 4 drizzle. New Hanook ventus Evo V12s. I placed 8/15th in my class, with half of them getting the first 4 runs totally dry.

2005 Chrysler Crossfire SRT6... few mods

[YT]T33Q7x9Qi0U[/YT]

new_shooter

Ultimate Member
    Jun 26, 2010
    I've done some. There are a few local car clubs that run their own brand specific events, plus some larger SCCA events. I prefer the club events, as you get more runs. At SCCA events you typically get your 3 and you're done. I hardly feel like I've gotten started at 3.

BTW, many of the club events will let you drive other brands at their events, particularly if they aren't getting enough club cars to fill their slots, and VERY particularly if you volunteer to help man the courses. Best contact them first before showing up.

SCCA was my thing in the early seventies. I moved on to Solo One, then full comp. Did it all in Datsun 510s and Datsun 2 Liter Roadsters. Went all the way to Road Atlanta in '75. No money but I wouldn't trade it for anything (lots of trophies). My favorite course was Riverside International in CA.

chale127

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2008
    Brooklyn, MD
    Dad and i have crewed for a guy that Now runs seniors SCCA (GT1) and was/is Director of Competition for Old Dominion SCCA....yeah i've been around it a while, wish i had the cash to drive though

been hauling tires and fuel around the pits at Summit Point since i could walk it feels like

There is a pic somewhere of me(i was little) and Dad at Summit Point in the pits with Paul Newman and Tom Cruise when he was barely famous

Maverick0313

Retired and loving it
    Jul 16, 2009
    Bridgeville, DE
    I used to do this while I was in the service. Competed in Germany with US club, ran a Fiat 1300 coupe with webers. Then in Pensacola, Gulf Coast SCCA Clube raced SOLO with a Cosworth Vega for a couple of years - did fairly well. Nothing since then, but did take the Bob Bondurant Grand Prix Racing Course...where I learned quickly that I was no where near as good a driver as I had thought I was.....they used to run them in the parking lot at NSA, but not in a while....

RobMoore

The Mad Scientist
    Feb 10, 2007
    QA
    I got a free SCCA membership with my Subaru STi, and did street touring.

I didn't go often, as it was my DD, and my budget for it was small.

Biggie313

Molon Labe
    Feb 23, 2010
    Essex
    BTW, many of the club events will let you drive other brands at their events, particularly if they aren't getting enough club cars to fill their slots, and VERY particularly if you volunteer to help man the courses. Best contact them first before showing up.

Yea I went with my buddies BMW club. They hosted, but it was about 50% BMWs. It was at Regency Furniture Stadium in Waldorf.

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    I use to do fairly often. The great thing is you really do not need a budget to have great fun. Plus all the money in the world will not buy a trophy. Go out, have fun, be safe. The SCCA events were the best to compete for a season. The club events were best to practice and learn. After a few events, it is amazing what you can learn about car control. The people are a remarkably helpful.:thumbsup:

That is me… waaaay of the cone where I should be.:innocent0

ax3q.jpg

randyho

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 21, 2009
    Not His Happy Place
    It was a former obsession. I went from an ES MR2 to an STX subie to a shifter kart in F125. All were a blast but the kart was absolutely violent, a real challenge. Lotsa fun. DC is a very strong region for autocrossing and it isn't at all unusual to be competing with several current and/or past national champions at the local events. It can be very humbling to find out just how far the skill gap can be, and really rewarding when you start to catch on. On whole, there's a lot of standing around for little time competing. With the kart, not getting enough seat time proved overly frustrating and I gave it up. Still have the kart, though...

Biggie313

Molon Labe
    Feb 23, 2010
    Essex
    On whole, there's a lot of standing around for little time competing
    Yea we were there from 8am til 4pm (8 hours) and I drove 8 laps, under 1 minute each. But I did get to re-do 3 laps do to technical problems. but most only got 8 laps. That's 1 minute per hour. But its more than just driving, hanging out with friends, talking cars, watching other racers.

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    All autocrossers are at least good track day drivers. The opposite is not true. The track is about the power of the car, not just the skill of the driver. ;)

AutoX'd for a while, then got my racing license and never went back.
    Then I got old and quit.
    Ain't nothin like approaching a corner at 110mph two or three abreast, and noting that the guys on either side are 20 somethings with absolutely no fear.
    You know someone has to let up, and that they aren't.

I called my ride "LimeTime." Color was picked by my son. With the tomato colored numbers and tape on the headlights, it looked like a big bug.

Sometimes they called me the "lawnmower man."

Attachments

• LT in the grass.jpg
      LT in the grass.jpg
      23.3 KB · Views: 283

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I used to run SCCA solo, then did a few track days at Sumitt, lots of fun, but events were few and far between, so I did a whole lot more drag racing than anything, Capitol and Cecil had test and tune every friday, and brackets every Saturday. I really miss it, and eagerly await my midlife crisis.

F-Stop

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Cecil County
    I used to a good bit in this car which I still have. Though now with the turbo I would be in the back of the pack in whatever the class is now, SSM? Kids and no time made it hard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Comotion357

Latest threads

Top Bottom