• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clippers69

Mar 7, 2011
    X-treme bullets

I've loaded 9 mm 124 cmj, .223 55 fmj, and 180 .40 s&w plated(cmj) bullets from them and they shoot accurately enough for practice. They are sized the same as lead bullets and you should use similar recipes. They say not to shoot the handgun bullets over 1200 fps unless you get their heavy plated bullets. That's too fast for the 9 and 40, so their regular plated bullets work for me. I use jacketed reloading data to get a faster round. I have not had any problem with that. The .223 bullets are actually jacketed with a round nose. They are good for plinking, but I have not been able to get the same accuracy I do with Hornady, Nosler, or Sierra bullets. I ordered them to try them out, but I am going back to Hornady in the bulk packaging as they are cheaper. X-treme also charges for shipping now, unlike before when it was not added on. Sometimes they have a 5% off sale (e-mail) so the price is okay. I've loaded about 6,000 of their bullets. They do have a good inventory as opposed to others that I had been ordering from like Zero and Montana Gold bullets. MG is really expensive and the Zero bullets are jacketed and their inventory is about zero.

v4kerker

Mar 23, 2014
    Crownsville, MD
    I've loaded 9 mm 124 cmj, .223 55 fmj, and 180 .40 s&w plated(cmj) bullets from them and they shoot accurately enough for practice. They are sized the same as lead bullets and you should use similar recipes. They say not to shoot the handgun bullets over 1200 fps unless you get their heavy plated bullets. That's too fast for the 9 and 40, so their regular plated bullets work for me. I use jacketed reloading data to get a faster round. I have not had any problem with that. The .223 bullets are actually jacketed with a round nose. They are good for plinking, but I have not been able to get the same accuracy I do with Hornady, Nosler, or Sierra bullets. I ordered them to try them out, but I am going back to Hornady in the bulk packaging as they are cheaper. X-treme also charges for shipping now, unlike before when it was not added on. Sometimes they have a 5% off sale (e-mail) so the price is okay. I've loaded about 6,000 of their bullets. They do have a good inventory as opposed to others that I had been ordering from like Zero and Montana Gold bullets. MG is really expensive and the Zero bullets are jacketed and their inventory is about zero.

Clippers69 I guess I can just use the jacketed bullet loading data for these .452 plated bullets and have no issues.
    I don't want to use lead bullets for reloading, but they're cheaper for reloading. My HK manual doesn't recommend shooting lead bullets unless I clean the barrel after so many rounds.

I'm working on getting all the ingredients to cook up some reloads when I get a new press. I'm just a single stage cooker right now. Have over 2K primes, cases cleaned and #3 powder, just need some bullets.

Clippers69

Mar 7, 2011
    v4kerker,
    Only shoot plated or jacketed bullets in your HK!! I have one and the polygonal barrel I have (45acp) is too expensive to replace so I spend the money on plated or jacketed bullets for it. The recommendation is to shoot lead in rifled barrels (most guns) and copper jacketed or plated in polygonal barrels. The standard rifled barrels are able to spin the bullet by the lands. The poly barrels contact more of the bullet and the lead is deposited more on the inside of the barrel. I shoot lead bullets in my 1911's (Colt, S&W), Sig P220, and they shoot fine. 235 lrn and 200 swc. They are budget bullets, not hard cast. I shoot them about 825 fps so I don't need hard cast. 45 acp is the only caliber I shoot lead bullets in. I tried 9 mm and 40, but I couldn't get the accuracy.
    Precision bullets have coated lead bullets which are supposed to not lead any barrels and can be shot out of any gun. They are not that expensive.
    I reloaded over 30,000 on a single stage before I got my Dillon. It is hard to get out of single stage reloading habits when you try and use a progressive.

v4kerker

Mar 23, 2014
    Crownsville, MD
    Thanks for the info on no lead for the HK45 full. Picking up my new VP9 this week:) First 9mm.
    Not sure if I want to go progressive but at least a turret press. I really want a powder measure. I did 100 rounds by hand scooping and trickle. That is time consuming. I'm only shooting 100-150 rounds a week at ON-TARGET.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    Clippers69 I guess I can just use the jacketed bullet loading data for these .452 plated bullets and have no issues.
    I don't want to use lead bullets for reloading, but they're cheaper for reloading. My HK manual doesn't recommend shooting lead bullets unless I clean the barrel after so many rounds.

I'm working on getting all the ingredients to cook up some reloads when I get a new press. I'm just a single stage cooker right now. Have over 2K primes, cases cleaned and #3 powder, just need some bullets.

use epoxy covered bullets, they work great in my USP .45

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    no leading so far, on recovered bullets the coating/jacket has not been compromised and was intact on recovery in both polygonal and conventional rifled barrels.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    1) .452 is the standard size for lead bullets for .45 ACP. Normally lead bullets are sized .001" larger than jacketed bullets.

2) Plated bullets don't significantly reduce the leading.

3) HK does NOT say to not use lead bullets, EXCEPT in the P7. GLOCK says t not use lead bullets. A quick search over on HKPro forum will find LOTS of people shooting lead bullets out of HK pistols without ANY issues.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    there are many people who shoot lead out of glock barrels too, with not much leading.

The idea is that since there is more contact with the bore there is more leading, especially in male type polygonal rifling like glock uses.

The only reason that lead bullets are not recommended in P7s is clogging of the gas port.

It's not a big deal, use whatever bullets you like- you will not have to worry about leading if you use epoxy coated bullets, or if you clean your barrel regularly.

deesly1

Nov 16, 2011
    I was thinking about getting some 230gr RN and 200gr HP X-TREME bullets for reloading 45acp but some of the bullets are .452 diameter. There copper plated and a good price if the will work.

My question is can I reload 45acp with .452 diameter bullets and have no problems reloading and shooting them?

http://www.xtremebullets.com/45-s/48048.htm

Thanks

I have reloaded with the 45 ACP 230 gr RN for last year. I have a very picking gun in the FNP 45 USG and I have never had a problem. Just make sure you expand the case mouth after resizing. I have good load data for using Bullseye, Power pistol, CFE 223, Auto Comp, HS-6 and Unique. PM me and I will give you the data.

v4kerker

Mar 23, 2014
    Crownsville, MD
    Guys thanks for all the helpful info.

I'm going to give the X-TREME bullets a try.
    I shoot Freedom Munitions ammo and wondered if they use the X-TREME bullets for some of their ammo.

deesly pm coming your way for data.

camobob

Feb 18, 2013
    You can shoot coated bullets through an HK barrel. You can also shoot lead.
    Yea, I know - big controversy but if the hardness is right for the speed there will be no issues.

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    I've used them for 9mm, 40, 45 and 308. The 308 COAL was way shorter then in use to and couldn't hit a barn from the inside.

The other stuff is great. The 308..... Flat nose... Not so much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom