Anybody use video games to improve their shooting?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    They would make an interesting target at 25yds, but after the first hit they disintegrate, and its a pain to pick up all the pieces afterwards.

vgplayer

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    King George, VA
    Checkout this series InRange TV did with Onward VR.
    Part 1 https://www.full30.com/video/5cece0558a7ee0dc42243984f7d454ec
    Part 2 https://www.full30.com/video/11edde4b9ce23755dad25b62f9942980

Part 1
    First person shooters are not new, we've had them since Wolfenstein 3D. One of the earliest genres of computer "games" were flight simulators, some of which were very intensive in regards to realism and giving the player a real idea about the planes being modeled - games like Falcon 4.0, Rise of Flight, IL-46 and DCS World are fine examples. On their highest realism setting it can take hours just to learn how to take off in your virtual FW-190, never mind successfully identify and shoot down an enemy plane.

The first person shooter has also evolved with advancing technology making it also possible to provide combat simulation type experiences beyond just reticle shoot'em ups. Excellent examples of this niche genre are Red Orchestra 2, Rising Storm, the ARMA series, and to a lesser degree, Verdun.

Virtual Reality technology had a brief blip on the consumer market in the 1990's but failed. We're seeing a renaissance of a very next generation version of virtual reality with the Oculus Rift and the HTC Vive, and with that, the very first true commercial VR combat sim - Onward.

In the real world, shooting is a skill, not a tactic, and tactics are more important than shooting. Communication, squad movement, covering fire, and more, are things that are hard to even practice on the square range. Onward VR provides a glance at what VR can do in this regard and paints a vivid picture of what's to come.

In Part 1 of this 2 part series we discuss the difference between a FPS and a simulator, provide a basic introduction on VR gear and walkthrough the weapons handling and manipulation on the training range while in Onward VR.

Onward VR on Steam:
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/496240/

InRangeTV Patreon:
    https://www.patreon.com/InRangeTV

Part 2
    In Part 2 of this 2 part series we demonstrate squad level communication and fire team movement through two fields with VR "combat footage" ending with our conclusions.

First person shooters are not new, we've had them since Wolfenstein 3D. One of the earliest genres of computer "games" were flight simulators, some of which were very intensive in regards to realism and giving the player a real idea about the planes being modeled - games like Falcon 4.0, Rise of Flight, IL-46 and DCS World are fine examples. On their highest realism setting it can take hours just to learn how to take off in your virtual FW-190, never mind successfully identify and shoot down an enemy plane.

The first person shooter has also evolved with advancing technology making it also possible to provide combat simulation type experiences beyond just reticle shoot'em ups. Excellent examples of this niche genre are Red Orchestra 2, Rising Storm, the ARMA series, and to a lesser degree, Verdun.

Virtual Reality technology had a brief blip on the consumer market in the 1990's but failed. We're seeing a renaissance of a very next generation version of virtual reality with the Oculus Rift and the HTC Vive, and with that, the very first true commercial VR combat sim - Onward.

In the real world, shooting is a skill, not a tactic, and tactics are more important than shooting. Communication, squad movement, covering fire, and more, are things that are hard to even practice on the square range. Onward VR provides a glance at what VR can do in this regard and paints a vivid picture of what's to come.

Onward VR on Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/496240/

InRangeTV Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/InRangeTV

vgplayer

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    King George, VA
    Not relevant to USPSA/IDPA shooting but in a Shot Show compilation video I saw a product that appeared to project a computer generated image through your rifle scope as if you were on a range. Forgot to write down the company.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    For the same reasons explained in the second video 'why'; the military uses similar systems to teach/reinforce troop leading procedures and tactics. Shooting itself is a different system and also requires live fire.

Great thread topic!

I can't find the thread I wanted to post this unrelated video about an AR15 mag loader that someone asked about recently:

HordesOfKailas

Still learning
    Feb 7, 2016
    Utah
    I mean, I've landed headshots at 1000m on flying helicopter pilots in Battlefield... I'm sure I could do that in real life.

cool_t_1

Sep 14, 2016
    AA County MD
    There are laser targeting systems out there that would be better than video game training attempts. At least it is sort of live firing and has a system to measure accuracy.

There has been multiple studies done showing that people who regularly play games have improved/better hand eye coordination, which could help in some motor skills, but I don't know if that would ultimately increase someone's target accuracy. Reaction time would improve the most I'm guessing

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    It may be the other way around for me. I don't get into video games much anymore but I think actually practicing and shooting in high power matches makes me a better game player. Around Christmas I was playing The Division with some friends. Seems my new approach was to make every shot count. I was more patient and careful.

In the past I was the guy who would always run into the room first guns blazing and die first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    It may be the other way around for me. I don't get into video games much anymore but I think actually practicing and shooting in high power matches makes me a better game player. Around Christmas I was playing The Division with some friends. Seems my new approach was to make every shot count. I was more patient and careful.

In the past I was the guy who would always run into the room first guns blazing and die first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lol

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    My kids and I have been playing World of Tanks together since 2014. I don't know if it helps that much but it certainly doesn't hurt. Many of the same shooting mechanics required in real life are well duplicated. Windage, elevation, shell trajectory and speed of projectile are all factored into taking shots. Sight magnification is 1-8x. The reticle is customizable in various ways. WOT developers have set RNG at +/- 25% and that can be damn unforgiving sometimes. It means the player only has a 75% chance of damaging the target and that ricochets and non-penetrating hits occur regularly.

I enjoy WOT just as much for its historical aspects. Tanks built from World War I to the mid-1960's are used at different Tiers in the game. My favorites are the WW II-era Soviet Tank Destroyers and the mid-1960's Soviet and German Medium tanks, like the T-62 and Leopard 1.

md123

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2011
    Every pistol shooter should get the laserlyte / LASR carteridge set up.

I pushed out my acceptable groups (say fist / heart size) by 15 yards and went from a 1.75 draw down to about 1.25 in a few weeks.

You use your own pistol, load the brass laserlyte round and shoot any target you want. I use a homemade IDPA cardboard silhouette. The LASR system looks at that target via a cheap webcam and records hits. It even sounds a report of your choice (like metal ping) and perform a shot timer among other things.

Saves ammo and range costs, allows you to get many many more reps and also provides a safe way to push the envelope and experiment. For example, shooting from hip or around obstacles that a range would not permit...real gun fights don't happen in a perfect isosceles stance with a two handed grip and smooth trigger press!

MAC uses a trainer gun below but laserlyte is my preference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom