Anybody Transfer A Pistol at the Frederick MSP Barricks before?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    A recent conversation about transferring a C&R pistol there made me wonder. Anybody have any issues doing a transfer there? Specifically with any of the MSP people not knowing the current laws?

I've never done a MSP transfer before.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    The troopers on duty may not be too familiar with how to do it, and they may not be familiar with the definition of C&R or the fact that they are HQL exempt. Expect for them to have to make a call to the licensing division. In that case, it could be best to do the transfer at a time that licensing is open.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Yes...was a pain in the azz! I was told that as the seller my part part of the paperwork was done...got a call 20 mins later stating he forgot about one signature and I had to turn around. Pay the transfer fee else where.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Yes and they didn't even know the old laws. Make sure you have the licensing division phone number handy. Once I made a call everything got straightened out.

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    I did back in sept - trooper didn't know where to find the caliber of the handgun if you can believe it.

When i Pointed it to him his explanation was - I'm not a gun guy.

SMH.

--
    Shamr0ck

backhome426

Aug 26, 2012
    SouthCounty
    My first handgun purchase was a transfer at the MSP barracks. Had to call a bagillion times to find out the seller could give it to me and I was approved. Took 2 weeks. The paperwork was easy. Officer comes out, looks at item in trunk, writes down info on paper. Everyone signs. Transfer once your not disapproved.

gabe72

Ultimate Member
    Aug 26, 2012
    sharpsburg
    I did back in sept - trooper didn't know where to find the caliber of the handgun if you can believe it.

SMH.

--
    Shamr0ck
    Sounds like the same trooper at the haverstown barracks that couldnt find the serial number on a glock

gabe72

Ultimate Member
    Aug 26, 2012
    sharpsburg
    My self and another member on here we did a swap with five guns between the two of us. They didnt know about a multiple form and the two phone calls to licensing said we had to fill out five 77rs and pay 50 in app fees got them to call duty sarg at hagerstown that i knew was working to get them to understand what to do

Yunus

Apr 11, 2009
    I did but that was with a friend who also knew the laws and this was before the new laws were in place. They did the transfer but really got the feeling we were annoying them with our presence.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The guys at Rockville barracks knew their stuff. The 77r has a place at the top of the form that exempts C&R stuff from the HQL.

Good luck

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I can't recall. And they only take checks, no cash. I asked the guy at the window why. He said "they don't trust us."

How Marylandish

Last edited:

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011

SMH.

--
    Shamr0ck

Lighten up Francis. If u asked me where the motherboard on my computer was I wouldn't know. His job is paperwork not to be an expert.

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Ok, I'm doing a transfer tomorrow morning.

Just to clarify, (bear with me since I've never transferred like this before)

I pull up to the barracks, leave the pistol in my truck in the case. Go inside, tell them I need to do a transfer. Since its a C&R, just check the HQL exempt box and fill out the paperwork. Then they take the pistol and check it over?

Once everything checks out, do they just mail the paperwork to me, or do I have to go pick it up? Then transfer the pistol on the 8th day?

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I think that just about covers it. They are supposed to mail the paperwork out but I'm still waiting on paperwork from last September!
    Make sure there are no 10+ capacity mags hanging around

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Ok, I'm doing a transfer tomorrow morning.

Just to clarify, (bear with me since I've never transferred like this before)

I pull up to the barracks, leave the pistol in my truck in the case. Go inside, tell them I need to do a transfer. Since its a C&R, just check the HQL exempt box and fill out the paperwork. Then they take the pistol and check it over?

Once everything checks out, do they just mail the paperwork to me, or do I have to go pick it up? Then transfer the pistol on the 8th day?

Ask for paperwork to do a "secondary handgun sale."

They may ask for your HQL's before giving you the paperwork, so explain why it's exempt.

MSP will mail you the original form when it's done, along with instructions on what to do with it. Basically, you and the transferee sign in Section 6 when the actual transfer of the firearm takes place. Then, you mail back the pieces it says to and keep the others.

According to Licensing Division, the eight day count starts when Licensing receives the paperwork, not when it's done at the barracks. I believe that's the "date form forwarded." They actually forgot to mark that on the last one I did, so I had to call them later to ask what the date was.

VikingWarlord

Jun 26, 2014
    Ask for paperwork to do a "secondary handgun sale."

They may ask for your HQL's before giving you the paperwork, so explain why it's exempt.

MSP will mail you the original form when it's done, along with instructions on what to do with it. Basically, you and the transferee sign in Section 6 when the actual transfer of the firearm takes place. Then, you mail back the pieces it says to and keep the others.

According to Licensing Division, the eight day count starts when Licensing receives the paperwork, not when it's done at the barracks. I believe that's the "date form forwarded." They actually forgot to mark that on the last one I did, so I had to call them later to ask what the date was.

Slightly off topic, but this only matters when transferring a C&R to someone else? If I was to buy, say, a CZ-82 and it was delivered to me, would I have to do any other paperwork?

Does the transfer still have to be done if transferring to another C&R holder since it's (supposed to be) contained in the bound book? I still have to get my address change done on my license but I'm not in a position to buy anything for a bit so I'm not in a hurry.

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    The guys at Rockville barracks knew their stuff. The 77r has a place at the top of the form that exempts C&R stuff from the HQL.

Good luck

Just did a Secondary sale at MSP and while there were no paperwork issues, it took about an hour (buyer and I were the only ones in there) and they were exceedingly rude about it.

tsmith1499

Poor C&R Collector
    Jan 10, 2012
    Southern Mount Airy, Md.
    Yes and they didn't even know the old laws. Make sure you have the licensing division phone number handy. Once I made a call everything got straightened out.

Mdeng (Perrin) would know as good as anyone as he does a lot of MSP transfers and I have personally seen him inform an MSP officer of the current law.But it can be done and is the cheapest way to do it. Might not be the easiest, but it is definitely the cheapest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom