• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    i'm asking about the rifle in the foreground.
    any ideas?

Attachments

• SCAN0319.jpg
      SCAN0319.jpg
      77.6 KB · Views: 928

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    They could be French soldiers as Nazi allies. I know other conquered countries provided troops for Hitler.

I have the figures in an article at home but by war's end more non-Germans had served in the SS (when you include the Waffen-SS) than Germans. The French volunteers had their own SS Division, the Charlemagne Division. They also had a muslim division, plenty of Belgians, Walloons, German "descended" people from all over Europe they referred to as the Volksdeutsche, cossacks, even lots of slavic-descent Eastern Europeans despite the nazi racial obsession. They also drafted in many of the conquered countries, but I don't think in France. Became a point of conflict between the SS and the Wehrmacht as to who was going to get the larger share of conscripts.

The one thing they didn't have a lot of was Brits. Only a dozen or two of them IIRC (and the Brits hung their their leader after the war), and I think three or four Americans.

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    I can't tell from the uniforms, but they could be Luftwaffe or other German troops doing training exercises. I've seen quite a few pictures of Luftwaffe troops using French weapons while training. As well as a lot of other second line troops being issued French stuff.

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    another pic but harder to tell what they are carrying.

Attachments

• SCAN0225.JPG
      SCAN0225.JPG
      84.2 KB · Views: 693

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    Late to the party! Yup, Lebel R35 in both. Cool photos.

If Mawkie says that's what they are, I'm betting that's what they are.

I only recently learned that so many of the SS troops were not "official" Germans. On the other hand, Germany had a large push for colonization in the 1800s, so there were some pretty substantial pockets of ethnic Germans throughout the world. Even though they may not have been born in Germany, most related to being German at heart.

For example, my wife's mother's family had always thought of themselves and being Romanian, but it turns out that branch of the family were ethnic Germans who settled in other parts of Europe, and some married locals, but several served in the German military in WWI.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I don't know offhand about cumulative Waffen SS enrollment numbers. I do know that the German led coalition that invaded the USSR had more non-Germans than Germans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom