• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    or a piece of electrical tape on a rifle muzzle, the gas escape will clear it before the bullet get's there, just don't overdo it.. lol

A finger cot or a finger cut from a latex glove and rubber band work like a champ too, for shotgun or rifle.

Franklin

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 12, 2012
    close to budds creek
    I prefer to use see-thru flip-up scope caps for my scoped guns; especially in the rain.

I carry my sling mounted rifles over my shoulder {muzzle up} alot --- and when it's raining --- I am concerned about rainwater accumulation inside my rifle bore, so much that I fear that it might formulate into a bore obstruction; which could cause a barrel burst upon a discharge of the firearm.
    easy fix, sling it with the stock up.

Crow Bait

Feb 9, 2013
    Hollywood, MD
    I was just going to head out for a short bow hunt... then it started pouring again. No thanks. I can deal with the misting... pouring? Not my thing.

Sipping a glass of scotch now.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    easily solved by putting a piece of plastic with a rubber band holding it in place over the barrel..

You need some of them muzzle condom things. They sell them at the drug stores with the band-aids. Some one like Knight rifles or something like that use to sell black ones for some outrageous price. They sell them for a few bucks with the band aid stuff.

These things. Finger Cots / Condoms. For safe fingering... They help keep the sticky stuff off of your... barrel.

450.jpg

images

Erno86

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 27, 2012
    Marriottsville, Maryland
    Franklin - With the stock-up sling method, I can mount the rifle to my shoulder faster. In fact...I used to shoulder/sling carry my rifles that way. But I'm afraid that if I slipped or fell...I might get my muzzle crown all dinged up --- or worse --- getting the bore plugged with 6" of snow, mud or dirt; that's why I always carry my pocket cleaning rod in my hunting pack.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I was just going to head out for a short bow hunt... then it started pouring again. No thanks. I can deal with the misting... pouring? Not my thing.

Sipping a glass of scotch now.

Hunting just got put on standby. This weather and rain has killed my hunting excitement. Hopefully next week during M/L season temps will be nice and everything will be dry.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Franklin - With the stock-up sling method, I can get the rifle to my shoulder faster. In fact...I used to shoulder/sling carry my rifles that way. But I'm afraid that if I slipped or fell...I might get my muzzle crown dinged up --- or worse --- getting the bore plugged with 6" of snow, mud or dirt; that's why I always carry my pocket cleaning rod in my hunting pack.

I'm not against slings, but, I have always found them to be in the way and more movement that a Deer can pick up on. My buddies use them and I just have no desire for them. Of course I don't have to trek far with a gun in hand, so, the carry issue doesn't exist with me. I can understand your situation if you do a lot of walking in the rain. When I park my truck and walk to my ground blinds on the edge of the field at the farm my walks are all of about 30 yards. I may as well just hunt from the truck, but, that's illegal, so, I park within spitting distance of the ground blind and then I'm legal. Hell the Deer don't care about the truck setting there.

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    I don't know about you, but, I'd be more concerned with the water getting ON the gun instead of IN the bore. I hunt with my M/L's in the rain and I make sure to keep the muzzle down. There's a lot worse places for water to get besides that bore. That's easy to dry out.

I just hate the idea of having to take the whole gun apart to clean out under the stock / forearm, trigger, hammer other internal parts. I could care less what little water gets in the bore. I guess that's why I keep the expensive guns for nice days and own that cheap little Rossi for rainy days. Hell if it rusts I'm not losing anything for under $200.00 That's why I bought it. Literally it's my Rainy Day Gun.

I went over the rifle with a hair dryer when I got in for the day - really warmed up the gun after it got wet.

Maybe I'm just lucky but I never had any rust or stock issues.

chooks9

Bear with Arms
    Jan 3, 2013
    Abingdon
    I don't really like hunting in the rain, but I have been part of pushes in rainy forests. I LOVE hunting in snow. Growing up in Western NY, you get used to hunting deer/bear in 2-3 feet on snow on opening day of gun season. Quieter and easier to track.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I went over the rifle with a hair dryer when I got in for the day - really warmed up the gun after it got wet.

Maybe I'm just lucky but I never had any rust or stock issues.

No issues with running the blow dryer over the gun. The only concern is the water that lays under the stock / forearm that you can't get out with the blow dryer. That water can soak in to the unfinished / unprotected wood of a stock and that's just like having a built in humidifier laying down in there. Pull the barrel off your guns and you might be shocked at what you find. The worst thing is putting them back in a case after you've hunted in the rain. The trip back home is enough to start trouble. I also make a point not to handle my guns without gloves on. Especially anything I own that is blued. My next must have in the rain is a dry wash cloth or small dish towel. I do all the wiping down I can. Some silicon or gun il on the rag helps greatly as well.

However, it is a gun... and part of the fun of owning a gun is cleaning it right ? LOL

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Snow yes... Rain (esp heavy) no... Tough to hear them and even tougher to track when you hit them ( I mostly bow hunt ).

My interest in Bow hunting this year has been really low. The heat has not helped my interests at all. I prefer muzzleloader over all else, I will take my slug gun on occasion. Bow has always been on the back burner for me. Bow season starts way too early and it does help fill in the gaps between M/L and Firearms season, but, I'm not a die hard Bow hunter even though I seem to take more Deer with the bow than guns, it just doesn't strike my fancy. My Father on the other hand is rarely seen with a gun. This year has been really bad with the heat and I'm more inclined to Crow hunt or Goose hunt over Bow for Deer if the opportunity is there.

1969sschevelle

Dec 28, 2012
    Lost Farmland County MD
    I will agree with those who posted : Snow=ok - drizzle=ok- light rain/or already in the woods when it starts=ok - Raining/flood warnings before trekking out= not so much. Unless you are waterfowl hunting. Then it is: Worst day ever for sleet and freezing rain= Best gunning day ever.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Opening day a few years ago and it poured buckets. I won't do that again. Another year it snowed the whole day, it was nice and eerily quiet. I saw one doe, that's about it.

This!

Last time I went out in the rain it was prob 42 and pouring and I stayed in the whole day. Never saw a single animal and was miserable. Stayed dry most of the day but by the end I was freezing. Don't plan on repeating it anytime soon unless I get some different hunting land.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    GI's used to put unlubed condoms over the muzzles to keep rain out. A pack of Trojans would be handy and probably cheaper and easier to find than these.

LOL yeah you can buy these "cots" in boxes of 100 from CVS for like $2.00 ( some ding dong out here will want to have a group buy on them...)

Condoms I can't quote on.

yotaboy24

Mar 12, 2009
    As of now I'm still planning on going. Not all day, just a evening hunt now. With the tree umbrella and rain gear I should be good. The thing that concerns me is like everybody has said about the blood trail. I will be using a crossbow and am quite good with it, but I would hate not finding a animal I shot. I guess that will come down to the shoot or not shoot question.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bapple

Latest threads

Top Bottom