Anybody have any trigger time on 2020 Waypoint or Sako S20?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    I’ve been kicking around for a while recently a completely unnecessary new rifle purchase, and after tons of research I’ve narrowed it down to two; the Springfield 2020 Waypoint or the Sako S20 in thumbhole Hunter configuration, probably in one of the milder recoiling hunting calibers (.308, 6 CM, or 6.5 CM). Has anyone seen either of these in the wild yet, or even better - shot either one yet?

While I appreciate the inevitable upcoming MDS suggestions of “buy this instead of that”, etc...please understand this rifle isn’t a necessity for me, I’ve just been seeing these a bunch lately online and in print, and my appreciation for nice and new rifles has gotten the better of me. I’d like to grab either one of these two, mainly for hunting, but it seems each can adequately do some crossover into a long range/range toy. Again, I need neither gun for either purpose, I’m completely covered in both respects, I just really like what I’ve seen on these two and they’ve sparked my interest.

There is a Sako offer/rebate right now that will give you the optional second stock configuration for free (buy the thumbhole hunter rifle version and get the “precision” long range stock @ no cost), plus BPS/Cabelas is also currently running a $200 off sale on the S20 in either version. Good value with both of these rebates.

The Springfield Waypoint is all over YouTube and TV shows like Guns and Ammo, American Rifleman, Shooting USA, etc... as a worldbeater. I particularly like the carbon fiber sleeved barrel version in the Ridgeline camo pattern.

Neither is cheap, the Sako is about $1,400 with the rebate and the Waypoint looks like about $2,200 in my preferred setup. I’m not dead-set on buying either, just entertaining it slightly more than casually, I’d just like to know if anyone has purchased either or had some range time with either, and could offer any advice as to which one I might like better as a completely unnecessary impulse purchase. I’ll even take much valued input if there are features these have that you may like or not like in a rifle (other than cost please - I know they’re both pretty expensive).

Again, I’m not looking for advice as to whether or not to even purchase either one of these just two choices (I really don’t care if you have a $300 Savage something or other that shoots 1/8 MOA @ 2,000 yards, I totally get that - everyone has an inexpensive rifle that’s a “tack driver”). I’ll have the buy or don’t buy covered (even more so pending the respondents’ input), I’d simply like some advice if it was your $$, which one of these two (and these two only) would you go for? It’s often difficult for me to avoid the “shiny new toy” syndrome but if someone here has put some rounds thru one or both, or even looked at these in detail, I’d be interested in what you have to say regarding either or both. I trust you guys way more than the internet, TV, and magazine shills that get free guns and are paid for reviews.

Thank you.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Haven't fired either in the wild but I am a dyed in the wool sako/tikka fiend unless I am going custom. The 75 and the 85 actions are where it's at for sako in my eyes but the overall quality of workmanship is high in their products. Long history of quality and their barrels rarely disappoint from factory. Regret getting rid of my trg some days but I mostly build custom now and you can't keep them all.

To each his own. If you like CF wrapped tubes get one but keep in mind that even Proofs guys shoot regular stainless barrels in PRS. You mentioned that it may be a range toy and that would suggest that it will see strings of fire. CF is an insulator, not a conductor, of heat. It saves weight but so does a light barrel profile (for a lot less money). One of my sako products has a thin stainless barrel. That just means bring two guns to the range so the pencil gets frequent cooling off.

Best of luck with your choice. Neither should be a bad rifle. As it is a want, get whichever one feels best to you so your itch is scratched.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Haven't fired either in the wild but I am a dyed in the wool sako/tikka fiend unless I am going custom. The 75 and the 85 actions are where it's at for sako in my eyes but the overall quality of workmanship is high in their products. Long history of quality and their barrels rarely disappoint from factory. Regret getting rid of my trg some days but I mostly build custom now and you can't keep them all.

To each his own. If you like CF wrapped tubes get one but keep in mind that even Proofs guys shoot regular stainless barrels in PRS. You mentioned that it may be a range toy and that would suggest that it will see strings of fire. CF is an insulator, not a conductor, of heat. It saves weight but so does a light barrel profile (for a lot less money). One of my sako products has a thin stainless barrel. That just means bring two guns to the range so the pencil gets frequent cooling off.

Best of luck with your choice. Neither should be a bad rifle. As it is a want, get whichever one feels best to you so your itch is scratched.
    Thanks for the input. I read somewhere last week that the Sako shares some of its design and technology with the TRG lineup. That made a big impression with me, and is one reason it’s appealing to me.

DonS

Feb 28, 2018
    I have a SAKO A7 and the action is so smooth and accurate, it has become my go-to deer gun. Never regretted it.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    I'd recommend the S20. It's a lot of rifle for the $ and the extra stock deal is pretty sweet. I've handled a 6.5 CM and a .308 in the shop and they were just what you'd expect: incredible fit and finish and an action that's smooth as glass.

I'm considering a Sako Black Wolf in 6.5 CM.

xtreme43s10

Ultimate Member
    Mar 19, 2007
    maryland, in Mont county
    I have an S20 in 6.5 CM. It’s accurate and fun to shoot. Sako/tikka have some of the smoothest factory actions. If you’re near AGC you’re welcome to meet me up there and shoot it if you like.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Thanks for the input. I read somewhere last week that the Sako shares some of its design and technology with the TRG lineup. That made a big impression with me, and is one reason it’s appealing to me.

Technically true. I believe they used the plunger ejector/push feed system, which is what the trg line uses. The 75s and 85s use mechanical eject. The 85 features a cutaway lower bolt that approximates a controlled round feed. I see the s20 as an attempt at a broader market segment. I find the tikkas as smooth as the sakos with a bit of use (I have one with around 4000 rounds logged on the action and it is like glass) but the sako 75/85 actions just feel so good to cycle. I've owned many 60 degree bolts. The sakos are the best feel in any (factory produced) rifles. You won't be disappointed.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Finally updating this thread. I found a Sako S20 back around Christmas time, and purchased it in time to qualify for the extra stock deal. I got the base rifle in 7mm mag, in the “precision” stock configuration, and have already received the “thumbhole hunter” furniture. Sadly it took a few months to squirrel away some 7mm mag ammo for sight-in and testing. I got out to the range this afternoon, and I was not disappointed in the least.

All reports of this action being fantastic are way under-selling it. It’s incredible, and I really like the “precision” stock configuration way more than I thought I would. I really like thumbhole stocks, and I thought I’d swap it over immediately, but I was wrong. I may keep it in this configuration for this hunting season at least. I even fired one standing, off-hand, and the rifle is light enough and the ergonomics were incredible in its current configuration, it felt really good shooting in this arrangement.

I’ll throw in this pic from my sight-in target, 100 yds using Remington Core Lokt Tipped 150 gr. This was me in a rush too, this was me starting this at 4pm with the range closing at 4:25 (I played around too much with my Howa 7mm mag prior to this which didn’t give me much time to sight this one in and test 7 or 8 different ammo types I had brought).

Next time out I’ll spend more time with more ammo choices and put this rifle thru its paces properly. Also the 7mm mag is a super hot round temperature wise, and the barrel fluting worked perfectly, allowing a decent sight-in grouping after 9 relatively quick shots and a scorching hot barrel (burned my hand actually). I also took my OSS/Huxwrx 762 suppressor along and didn’t get a chance to use it, but the muzzle brake mount was incredible as a brake and made shooting the 7mm mag a very pleasant experience. More to follow on this one.

Sadly, the Springfield Waypoint is still unobtainium, even 2 years after its release. So no data on that one, for now.....

Attachments

• E48A50C3-E1DD-4771-8139-2FF6F382276A.jpeg
      E48A50C3-E1DD-4771-8139-2FF6F382276A.jpeg
      230.4 KB · Views: 55

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads