• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • yellowfin

Pro 2A Gastronome
    Jul 30, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    Is there any remedy available to we the people to the nonstop government hoarding of ammo that's tying up the market right now? Is it possible to challenge it in a lawsuit? Here we are going on month number three of bare shelves in local stores, big chains, and online stores and if it were any private buyer responsible for all of this there would be an antitrust suit launched against it. Has there even been any discussion of relief to it or is it just "Oh well, this sucks, but they can do what they want" ?

JasonB

Ultimate Member
    Sep 4, 2012
    Belcamp
    I don't think that Government hoarding is the reason for the shortage. It's private hoarding. People are buying up everyone they see.

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    If a private buyer were responsible for this, an anti-trust suit would only be sucessful if they intended on reselling the ammo and cornering the market. The government has no intention of reselling this ammo.

JasonB

Ultimate Member
    Sep 4, 2012
    Belcamp
    At this point if 50 cases of .223 came into any given Walmart I bet they would be gone in under an hour. People are in full panic mode and buying it all up.

JasonB

Ultimate Member
    Sep 4, 2012
    Belcamp
    Massive simultaneous orders of ammo by every government agency and branch of the military tying up production and thus crowding out the regular market.

I'm pretty sure the Govt is not buying Tula and wolf to stockpile for their agencies.

yellowfin

Pro 2A Gastronome
    Jul 30, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    I'm pretty sure the Govt is not buying Tula and wolf to stockpile for their agencies.
    True, but that supply would be buffered by the usual domestic output which because of their buying appears almost nonexistent. ANY buying of ammo by gov't shrinks the supply, and that's felt through the whole system--they buy .40 and 9mm and that ties up machinery that would otherwise be available to make .44 Mag, .22lr, etc. They buy Lake City which would otherwise also be bought by the same people buying Wolf and Brown Bear, so the latter must bear the entire demand of the market versus its usual 1/3 or so.

Same thing is currently applying to funds in the banking system because of the national debt.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    I don't think government purchases are driving this. I think we're seeing the unfortunate realities that occur when masses of private citizens come to feel that they may have valid reason to distrust the motives and the actions of their own state and federal governments. Just one man's opinion.

onthefarm

Jan 15, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    I don't think government purchases are driving this. I think we're seeing the unfortunate realities that occur when masses of private citizens come to feel that they may have valid reason to distrust the motives and the actions of their own state and federal governments. Just one man's opinion.

I think you are right. I have people I know that never kept a stock trying to build one now.

Second Amendment

Ultimate Member
    May 11, 2011
    I think you are right. I have people I know that never kept a stock trying to build one now.

I agree. I've had two relatives come to me and ask for advice on buying a gun and they never had any interest in it before. A little late. Even if they want to go for it, gun choices are limited, waiting periods are ridiculous, and there's no ammo to practice with.

yellowfin

Pro 2A Gastronome
    Jul 30, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    I think we're seeing the unfortunate realities that occur when masses of private citizens come to feel that they may have valid reason to distrust the motives and the actions of their own state and federal governments.
    What the hell took them so long? Anyone who's read the last two to five centuries of world history knows to distrust the motives of governments. Our country was founded on precisely that.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Tactics. Start many small diversions so that they will not realize where the main point of attack is. Should any of the diversionary attacks be successful, so much the better. At the very least, the diversions will help to drain resources. Seems like a plan.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    What the hell took them so long? Anyone who's read the last two to five centuries of world history knows to distrust the motives of governments. Our country was founded on precisely that.

Don't disagree. To answer your question, I don't know for sure. I might suggest that there doesn't seem to be a shortage of either apathy or rose colored glasses for many. I also suspect that the answer to your question (perhaps purposely) isn't sought by many. Why? Because if such uncomfortable perceptions were to become an undeniable and more immediately obvious reality, then you're looking at a reality where it would absolutely suck to have been right.

fleaman64

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2011
    If ammo shelves are bare now, just think what it will be like when the masses finally wake up and panic. They will be SOL and I guess some of us will sell off our "excess" guns and ammo for even more!:innocent0

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    If ammo shelves are bare now, just think what it will be like when the masses finally wake up and panic. They will be SOL and I guess some of us will sell off our "excess" guns and ammo for even more!:innocent0

Let's hope and pray that there never comes a time when we test your theory. Because even if you were correct, I'm not sure I'd see any real advantage to being the wealthiest man in hell.

MadCat0911

Ultimate Member
    Jan 2, 2013
    Hanover
    Massive simultaneous orders of ammo by every government agency and branch of the military tying up production and thus crowding out the regular market.

Then how do you account for all the other calibers the military/government aren't using being out of stock?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom