Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Have a few no pics yet.
    S&W-586, 651, 642, 625, 617, 57
    Ruger-GP 100, Single 6 Convertible, SP 101

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I am probably a couple of years away from owning a handgun, but I am seriously looking at a Rockisland M200 .38 special. 4" barrel to me is perfect and other than one negative review where the guy got one with bent sights, all other reviews are super positive and Rockisland seems to stand behind their guns from what I have heard, so they'd probably no big hassle fix an issue. They seem to be running about $250 and have very nice triggers.

I mostly want something to plink at the range for cheap and something if I do end up owning a hunting and SHtF property that I can carry around doing odd jobs on the property and not care too much if it gets muddy, rained on, etc. something to that if I can talk my wife in to learning how to shoot it would be a nice gentle introduction to handguns.

I really want a 1911 .45 some day, but even a cheap one I'd care a lot more about abusing it and not nearly as cheap to shoot a couple of boxes through it at the range. I've shot a few semi-auto pistols and a couple of revolvers and so far my favorites have been a colt (actual colt) 1911 .45acp and a S&W .357 w/ 4" barrel, I don't remember the model of it. I did really love the Ruger Redhawk .44 mag I shot, but too expensive, too heavy, too big and too heavy recoiling to me for anything other than shooting off a few (expensive) rounds at the range or hunting.

.38sp might not have a lot of stopping power, but it can still get the job done, especially if you put several rounds in to a person, which is a little easier to do with a light recoiling pistol. Bonus points that over penetration isn't as much of a worry and misses get stopped a lot faster in walls and furniture.

54rndball

take to the hills
    Mar 16, 2013
    Catonsville
    I am probably a couple of years away from owning a handgun, but I am seriously looking at a Rockisland M200 .38 special. 4" barrel to me is perfect and other than one negative review where the guy got one with bent sights, all other reviews are super positive and Rockisland seems to stand behind their guns from what I have heard, so they'd probably no big hassle fix an issue. They seem to be running about $250 and have very nice triggers.

A used S&W Model 10 could be had for not much more than $250. It would be a much better revolver, but maybe you don't want to pay the extra cash. You won't regret buying a Smith.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    My first handgun was a 6" barreled S&W blued steel Mdl 57 (Rem .41 Mag). However since that time all the revolvers I have owned were stainless steel ones (Rugers and now one S&W).

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7_88/1536533_Kahr_E9__Fie_Titan__Colt_Detective_special.html

I don't have the funds with this baby coming, new house, and I just bought myself a 5 foot marble bar :) :) :) but if it's in good condition 400 shipped for a colt detective special is a good price. I'm sure you could get it knocked down $25 bucks and that would be an AMAZING deal!
    Newman! Should have checked this thread earlier. Sold, but no surprise. Great tip. :thumbsup:

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County

I mostly want something to plink at the range for cheap and something if I do end up owning a hunting and SHtF property that I can carry around doing odd jobs on the property and not care too much if it gets muddy, rained on, etc. something to that if I can talk my wife in to learning how to shoot it would be a nice gentle introduction to handguns.

.38sp might not have a lot of stopping power, but it can still get the job done, especially if you put several rounds in to a person, which is a little easier to do with a light recoiling pistol. Bonus points that over penetration isn't as much of a worry and misses get stopped a lot faster in walls and furniture.

A 38-special revolver with 4-inch barrel is a versatile firearm that has practical use in woods carry/hiking as well as home defense. This murderer killed 7 people with a 38-special revolver before being caught last year ...

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/10/n...d-with-killing-7-in-nearly-2-month-spree.html

A used S&W Model 10 could be had for not much more than $250. It would be a much better revolver, but maybe you don't want to pay the extra cash. You won't regret buying a Smith.

I agree.

Here are S&W Model 10 revolvers with 4-inch barrels for $350 w/ free shipping ... maybe a little overpriced for their condition ...

http://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperst...nd-wesson-model-10-nickel-38-spl-trades-(good)

I got a used S&W Model 64-8 (also 38-Special, +P rated barrel) from Southern Ohio Gun last year for $330 in very good to excellent condition that's lots of fun to shoot at the range (top in pic below).

6c662d6abd6f1d0d1a82fb7032492807.jpg

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    I have a Smith and Wesson Model 37 (.38 Special) as my carry gun and a Rossi R971 (.357 Magnum) as my favorite range gun. By the way, does anyone if there is a left-handed grip for the Rossi?

5c070a11b6d81c4be5577f9431a62040.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom