• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 82ndShooter

Nov 20, 2008
    Colorado
    I recently inherited my Grandfather's reloading equipment, some of which is probably older than me (36 y/o). I have just purchased a few reloading manuals from Amazon and would like to get into "rollin' my own"; not only for the cost savings, but also for the enjoyment of doing so. I'm hoping that there are a few folks out there who are willing to share their experience(s) in reloading. Specifically, making a house call to help me get started setting up the gear I have and any recommendations on additional gear I might need.

I will supply the beer (name your poison) and bratts (or whatever grillable item you prefer)! Thanks!!!

Last edited:

8milimeter

RICHARD (dino)
    Feb 15, 2009
    Frederick, Md
    reloadin !!

I live in Frederick and work in Gaithersburg. Drive thru Germantown twice a day. I am sure I could stop by for a beer or two one evening. What calibers do you want to load. NOTE: All my experience is with rifles

Richard

Last edited:

boricuamaximus

Ultimate Member
    Dec 27, 2008
    oh snap Germantown shooter! I would love to learn the reloading basics also. I was even planning on taking a course but having issues finding one within my schedule.

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    For starters try to think where you want to set it up, what room. Now that you have a room in mind you will need a strong bench to mount the press to. Think about putting your weight on the edge of the bench and how much flex you will get. Pistol rounds are pretty easy on the bench, but sizing those 30'06 cases will take some effort. At least on my old RCBS single stage reloader special press. Now you need to think about a comfortable height for the bench and a chair to sit in while you are working. Good lighting and all that ergonomics stuff too.

82ndShooter

Nov 20, 2008
    Colorado
    For starters try to think where you want to set it up, what room. Now that you have a room in mind you will need a strong bench to mount the press to. Think about putting your weight on the edge of the bench and how much flex you will get. Pistol rounds are pretty easy on the bench, but sizing those 30'06 cases will take some effort. At least on my old RCBS single stage reloader special press. Now you need to think about a comfortable height for the bench and a chair to sit in while you are working. Good lighting and all that ergonomics stuff too.

I plan on reloading in my garage. I recently built a workbench in the garage that can hold over 400lbs. So at least I have this part of the equation resolved. I have ample lighting and the ergonomics already taken care of at the moment.

82ndShooter

Nov 20, 2008
    Colorado
    What did you get for equipment? Was it just the press?

I got two medium-sized boxes full of equipment. My grandfather was a machinist for the railroad back in the day, so he has some home made tools in there along with the other store-bought items. Being that I'm a "NOOBIE" to the reloading world, I'm not quite sure what all of the items are used for as of yet.

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    I keep a dehumidifier in my garage because a have a small lathe and milling machine. I would consider getting one to keep powder and primers dry and keep surface rust off of dies. Not really a problem in the winter, but summer humidity is a B***H.

82ndShooter

Nov 20, 2008
    Colorado
    I keep a dehumidifier in my garage because a have a small lathe and milling machine. I would consider getting one to keep powder and primers dry and keep surface rust off of dies. Not really a problem in the winter, but summer humidity is a B***H.

Thanks for the advice! I just happen to have a dehumidifier and now I have a good use for it! :thumbsup:

DocEd

Eddie Harren
    Feb 17, 2009
    Ijamsville
    Reloading

I believe that the most important piece of reloading equipment, for a new loader, is a good reloading manual. I encourage you to get one, read it through, without looking at load data, just the "Introduction to Reloading" section. It usually explains everything you need to know very well.
    Tradewinds in Mt. Airy, also known as the "Gun Shack" has a full line of reloading supplies and are very knowledgeable.

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    I just read a good article on reloading in Guns & Ammo, one of the members here sold cheap subscriptions to it. They gist of the story was to get at least 2 manuals and only use a powder that is called out in both manuals and stay within both manuals recommended charges for that powder. He talked about someone using a powder that was not called out in any manual just because he thought it would be OK, based on it having similar burn characteristics to a powder that was called out in one manual.
    Try to keep experimenting down to a minimum and always stay within the recommended charges for each bullet weight, manufacturer and style.
    I use an adjustable powder charge thrower, RCBS. I always carefully set the charge weight with my single beam balance scale before charging any case. Then I load all the cases into a "case block" and visually check for the same size of charge when finished. Then I weigh some more charges to be sure that I get the same weight as I started out with. If I do not, then all cases would be emptied back into the charger and I would start all over again. This has never happened to me, but I always check twice, once for each eye I want to keep.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ObsidianCC

Latest threads

Top Bottom