• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PO2012

Oct 24, 2013
    Looking for any police agency's taking new recruits. Not really looking to join the city police

There are a number of agencies which hire here in Maryland on a more or less consistent basis. If you're a qualified candidate you have choices. You wouldn't believe some of the trash that walks in off the street wanting to be Police. It's mind boggling. One of the reasons so many agencies are short is because they have a hard time finding candidates who have a driver's license, aren't obese and don't have a criminal record or history of drug and alcohol abuse.

Do you want to focus on traffic enforcement? If so, I would recommend MSP. Do you want to work in a suburban or semi-rural area with a mix of traffic enforcement and calls for service? If so, I would recommend a county sheriff's office or county PD. Do you want to deal with crimes against persons and property as well as narcotics? If so, then Baltimore City is the place to be.

What type of Cop do you want to be?

Evojoeix

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2014
    There are a number of agencies which hire here in Maryland on a more or less consistent basis. If you're a qualified candidate you have choices. You wouldn't believe some of the trash that walks in off the street wanting to be Police. It's mind boggling. One of the reasons so many agencies are short is because they have a hard time finding candidates who have a driver's license, aren't obese and don't have a criminal record or history of drug and alcohol abuse.

I absolutely believe it. When I took my written test for the MDTA police a couple years ago, you wouldn't believe how many people were rejected on the written test alone. And i found it very easy and got a very high score on it. Then when we got to the physical part, I bet over 50% of the people were eliminated on the sprint portion alone, which was the first test.

As far as what kind of cop I'd like to be, I'm still thinking on that. I have contacts in MSP, MDTA and BCPD. So I been talking to them to get a feel for how the departments run and what type of situations they deal with the most.

Like I said earlier, I'm not looking for an easy job. I'm looking for the one that I feel will fit me the best. I want something I like doing day to day

Evojoeix

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2014
    I wish I could do that, but it can't take days off from my job now to be running around for the application processes of a couple different agency's. So I need to go after my first choice first

kgain673

I'm sorry for the typos!!
    Dec 18, 2007
    Just start applying and get your foot in the door. Focus your energy on getting into an academy. You'll get your idea for what the agency is like when you get on field training. The up side to the city, from what I've heard is, some officers measure their time on the street in months not years. And they can find themselves in specalized units rather quickly. Not so much in most agencies. From a serious word of advice don't hold your breath about BCPD. Your best choices are MSP, Wash DC PD, NSA, AAPD and PG PD.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    You will be putting all your apples in one bag so to speak then.

You don't really pick the department in these cases typically the departments pick you.

You do not have anything in your resume that you've shown that really jumps out as a "must hire" candidate.

Plenty of folks have been in the hiring process for several departments for over a year.

Seriously....go do some ride alongs and see if it's even something you are interested in doing as you will be facing a bit of an up hill battle honestly.

engine42410

Sep 9, 2013
    Baltimore County
    Hello, are their any law enforcement agencies in the state of maryland or out of state that don't use the polygraph test or the psychological test. I'am just curious because every law enforcement department has their our hiring guide lines they have to follow.

Evojoeix

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2014
    Hello, are their any law enforcement agencies in the state of maryland or out of state that don't use the polygraph test or the psychological test. I'am just curious because every law enforcement department has their our hiring guide lines they have to follow.

They all do a psych. test and poly test in maryland. I'm not sure about other states. I'd imagine they all do a psych. test no matter what state your in though

Evojoeix

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2014
    No, I said I can't apply to all of them at the same time and see which one wants me first. I can't take day after day off from my job now to run around doing written and physical tests and interviews for a couple different departments at a time. That's a lot of days off

If I don't get my first choice, then it's on to another. To say you know I won't get it is just being negative. I have a few friends who are now police, they all applied to their first choice and got in.

kgain673

Dec 18, 2007

When it comes down to basic hiring standards the state has guidelines, in MD everyone is going to poly. The question is why does it matter? I don't think DC Metro police have a poly. I think PSP does not have a mandatory poly, but many get one. In MD your getting a poly.

kgain673

Dec 18, 2007
    No, I said I can't apply to all of them at the same time and see which one wants me first. I can't take day after day off from my job now to run around doing written and physical tests and interviews for a couple different departments at a time. That's a lot of days off

If I don't get my first choice, then it's on to another. To say you know I won't get it is just being negative. I have a few friends who are now police, they all applied to their first choice and got in.

I had a full time job a mortgage, two cars and baby on the way and had 6 applications in at agencies. I took 5 different physical tests and went all the way with two agencies. I took the first one offered. I also got rejected 4 agencies. It took me 3 years to get on with agency. After i got hired, i got 3 more offers but stayed with the first one offered. Listen to the advice from people on this forum, if not your just going to waste your time on a pipe dream. Everyone on this forum who is giving you advice has the job YOU want and at one time they all were where you were. We all want you to succeed. People get too caught up in working a specific agency.

Evojoeix

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2014
    I understand what your saying. Hopefully I can make it all work out in the end. I wasn't trying to come off as a know it all or anything. I just want to get into police work and get my career started. I appreciate all the help and suggestions in this thread

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I understand what your saying. Hopefully I can make it all work out in the end. I wasn't trying to come off as a know it all or anything. I just want to get into police work and get my career started. I appreciate all the help and suggestions in this thread

Exactly. That is why you apply to every single one available and take the first one that comes along, or what you think the better of 2 if you got 2 offers.

CATMdude

I like turtles
    Dec 29, 2012
    Frederick

If you do one application process at a time, it could take years to get hired if you don't get hired for your first choice. You could be several months into one before you get denied and these things can take 6-9+ months to get through. If you can't take off to apply for 3 or 4, at least try to apply to two at once.

SS396

Forum LEO whipping post
    Aug 19, 2013
    Frederick County
    You definitely want to get several applications in. This is what I did. It's nice to feel like a few departments are fighting over you as opposed to you fighting for one department. And it takes the sting out of being turned away by one if you're already well underway with another agency. They'll know you're looking at other agencies too; as I said, let them fight for you. It is a lot of work though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom