• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Silverlode

Ultimate Member
    Aug 16, 2010
    Frederick
    I think asking about 45 Super load data was my very first post here. Never got anything out of it. Never been able to figure out why so little reliable data is out there. The published 45 Super data I have seen falls below max pressures for 45ACP with less performance that much 45+P data I have seen. Called Speer and talked to them about this years ago and the person I talked to told me this was the only load they weren't allowed to discuss????

I'm pretty certain any modern 1911 with modified firing pin and recoil springs can easily handle it, provided you use 45 Super brass. But I'm not a gunsmith and I'm not pretending to be one. Just what I have read.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    "this was the only load they weren't allowed to discuss????"

That's lawyer speak for "No researched and published data, no speakie". I can only say look at the Clark Custom website. They list the guns suitable and unsuitable for their 460 Roland conversion which uses an unramped barrel. Then if you wanted to make 45 Super loads, tune the guns listed as suitable for the Rowland loads to your Super loads.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I have 2 pistols I shoot 45 super out of, an HK USP 45 running a heavier spring, and my Kimber 1911 converted to 460 Rowland. I OC the USP with 230gr Buffalo bore(gold dot@1100fps) when fishing or hiking in the woods, pretty much the only stock 45 I know of where the MANUFACTURER states it is rated for 45 super without modification. The pistol handles it well, and recoil isn't really any more difficult to handle than 45+p.

The Kimber has a Clark custom barrel and comp, some action work, 20# spring, flat bottom pin stop, and a ouple other mods for reliability and to handle the extra stress and power, it really isn't as bad as it looks to shoot, although the fireball from full power Rowland loads is impressive(200gr XTP@1450fps/230gr@1300fps). It can fire 45acp and 45 super reliably with the mods, being I have some 45 super brass to load with, I use that for mid power loads out of the pistol, and don't shoot a whole lot of full power Rowland out of it.

all of these will fire 45acp, most fire other calibers too.
    45s.jpg

Kinbote

Aug 17, 2010
    If you just want more power than .45 ACP, the 10mm is probably a little easier to find brass and ammo for, and it is more powerful than the .45 Super, though not quite as powerful as a .460 Rowland.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Care to share any load recipes?

for full power range work, I like power pistol, breaks down as follows using 230gr XTPs and CCI LP primers/1.25 OAL. Fair warning, it has a lot of flash.

45acp-7gr/850fps
    45ACP+p-8gr/950fps
    45 super- 9.5gr/1100fps
    460Rowland 12.5gr/1350fps

For lighter, more economic and loads easier on the hands, with A LOT less flash, using I use HS-6 and Win 230gr FMJ 1.25OAL
    45ACP 8gr/800fps
    45ACP+p 8.5gr/900fps
    45 super 9gr/1000fps
    460Rowland 10gr/1150fps

Should go without saying, but some of these loads are not published, use at your own risk, and work up to them. They can be very hot loads, and even minor setback from feeding, temp or barrel dimentions can cause dangerous overpressure conditions and kabooms, your measurements, scales, and crimping have to be dead perfect, and you need to be an experienced reloader to even try these loads. They all work well in my 1911 460rowland, and the 45/+p/super in both my 1911 and HK USP. All should be loaded in brass marked to the spec listed or better, and should be labeled or separated as 45super WILL chamber in 45acp chambers, and can damage guns and shooters, 460rowland can fit in some older straight bored 45ACP revolvers with catastrophc consequences.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008

me shootin jer's 460 rowland. For as much power as it has, it really doesn't feel much worse than a hot 45 acp.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I used 180 grain jackets bullets and a healthy dose of Blue Dot to make a comped barrel I have work. Properly sprung, there was no battering and the primers looked good. Never did chrono that load. I'll have to resurrect the barrel and try that load again.

Last edited:

Silverlode

Ultimate Member
    Aug 16, 2010
    Frederick
    for full power range work, I like power pistol, breaks down as follows using 230gr XTPs and CCI LP primers/1.25 OAL. Fair warning, it has a lot of flash.

45acp-7gr/850fps
    45ACP+p-8gr/950fps
    45 super- 9.5gr/1100fps
    460Rowland 12.5gr/1350fps

For lighter, more economic and loads easier on the hands, with A LOT less flash, using I use HS-6 and Win 230gr FMJ 1.25OAL
    45ACP 8gr/800fps
    45ACP+p 8.5gr/900fps
    45 super 9gr/1000fps
    460Rowland 10gr/1150fps

Should go without saying, but some of these loads are not published, use at your own risk, and work up to them. They can be very hot loads, and even minor setback from feeding, temp or barrel dimentions can cause dangerous overpressure conditions and kabooms, your measurements, scales, and crimping have to be dead perfect, and you need to be an experienced reloader to even try these loads. They all work well in my 1911 460rowland, and the 45/+p/super in both my 1911 and HK USP. All should be loaded in brass marked to the spec listed or better, and should be labeled or separated as 45super WILL chamber in 45acp chambers, and can damage guns and shooters, 460rowland can fit in some older straight bored 45ACP revolvers with catastrophc consequences.

Thanks for the info. I've had some starline 45super brass sitting around for probably close to ten years now. Maybe I will put it to use sometime soon.

ThumperIII

Jun 11, 2009
    Maryland
    With 45Super, either the XD-45 Tactical (5") and XDm-45 (4.5 model) handle it fine using a 2lb heavier recoil spring and maybe an AGP + power mag spring for feeding reliability (The slide cycle is faster with the higher power ammo and heavier recoil spring so the mag need to feed up rounds faster). The XD-45 (4") Service model will handle a limited amount of 45Super. The frame is the same as the Tactical but there are no heavier recoil springs for the Service model. I limit to shooting about a box a season with mine. Not worth reloading at that rate. Shot the 185gr Buffalo Bore. Just using the +power AGP mag spring. If I add a ported barrel to the Service model I would be confident upping the amount of loads without the heavier recoil spring.
    The XD-45 also has a 460Rowland conversion kit available.

EDIT: Don't want to hijack a thread, but maybe piggyback a bit. Any 45Super load data with chrono velocity proof for making over 700ft/lb from a 6" barrel semi-auto? For MD legal deer hunting handgun? Probably 185gr?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom