• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    I don't think so. I have the same question he does. Are you dropping the mag and clearing the chamber every time you take the gun off?
    When I was newer the game, I would unload the mag if loaded with JHPs for the range. Then reload them in the mag when done. Doing that once I don't think is a big deal. But now, I just either use a different gun or I let the JHPs fly. The seem to enjoy it.

paperwork351

no error code for stupid
    Mar 7, 2008
    Gaithersburg
    I don't think so. I have the same question he does. Are you dropping the mag and clearing the chamber every time you take the gun off?
    My question was about handling and procedure. Never had a duty firearm. To clear a duty or w&c firearm regularly is silly. My world is different. I've heard/read bullet setback.

Last edited:

FrankZ

Liberty = Responsibility
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    How else do you strip and clean your carry gun every night?

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    How often are people chambering and clearing a pistol in order for that to be an issue?

Several times per year, every time I come back home through the midwest.

20240209_151152.jpg

How do you rotate the rounds to advoid bullet setback? Is using another mag to chamber feasible?

On the rare occasion you need to, yes, you can use another mag. Or on your next range trip, use the carry ammo, load and use range ammo, clean if necessary, load carry ammo, done.

And maybe use a quality round that has a cannelure and won't set back.

Critical-Duty-2.jpg

Sunrise

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2020
    Capital Region
    How do you rotate the rounds to advoid bullet setback? Is using another mag to chamber feasible?
    I haven’t experienced any setback issues with Speer Gold Dot.

I have 8 carry mags to pick from down the line and I rotate the rounds from top to bottom in them.

The chambered round always goes to the bottom of the magazine when I unload.

People have different systems but this works for me.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    How often are people chambering and clearing a pistol in order for that to be an issue?

People either chamber & clear a lot , or almost never , but rarely In-between.

Some people are hard wired level ingrained to not store a hot firearm .

In settings where firearms are issued and returned each shift , they will have protocols for how they are stored in rack/ safe , which typically involve different degreed of ( not ready to immediately go ) .

So Semiautos ( in active rotation) are either loaded & unloaded at least once a day , or not until the next occasion to either shoot at the range , or the next occasion to field strip to wipe down due to environmental exposure / remove dust bunnies, and lubrication.

In extreme examples , or other fora have seen threads of guns that were taken on & off as a unit with IWB holster , and shocked when a year or so later when removing from holster , it was a mass of rust .

I'll be discreet and not name the agency , but am aware one step removed ( i.e. was told by one of people actually there ) of a duty gun , carried on duty , involved in a critical incident , that was actually rusted solid and non functional.

The point of those paragraphs , was that if routine administrative loading takes place , the condition of it would presumably be noticed before it became that far gone .

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I'll be discreet and not name the agency , but am aware one step removed ( i.e. was told by one of people actually there ) of a duty gun , carried on duty , involved in a critical incident , that was actually rusted solid and non functional.
    I'll name the agency. It was Baltimore city.

The cop would store his pistol in the freezer to keep it high and away from his kid. Months and months of constant condensation and thawing cause it to rust and fuse.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I'll name the agency. It was Baltimore city.

The cop would store his pistol in the freezer to keep it high and away from his kid. Months and months of constant condensation and thawing cause it to rust and fuse.

Well , I guess there's at least two such incidents out there , because it was different agency to which I referred.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I get it . Sometimes an issue is complex and nuisance, and can have more than one context .

But Dang ! In post #320 msinc sure lays out a bunch of questions , and answers them himself in the usually correct manner , then seemingly ignores his own advice ?

I won't re- beat the already dead and decomposing equine for most of it .

But I will point out that the whole " Let the bad guys see and hear you chamber a round , and they'll know you are Really Serious , and thus quake in fear , and either run away very quickly , or meekly surrender:" thing is massively exaggerated, and has stronger arguments against it . Not least , Blaster's point about that would negate the option of discrete deployment.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    The solution is to get a a Glock. According to the movies they all make a chambering sound when raised and pointed, especially if pointed one-handed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom