• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    For another perspective - Lenny Magill (Founder/CEO of Glock Store) makes an argument for carrying in Condition 3 (empty chamber but a loaded magazine in the weapon). He explains his rationale starting at 15:15 in the video: .

His rationale is stupid. It's basically, "Carry your gun unloaded so that when it's stolen you can run away". He then makes a whole lot of situational arguments where racking the slide isn't a drawback somehow. Even when demonstrating it, he appears to stumble on the reality that racking a slide makes noise and gives away any "surprise" his hypotheticals he listed earlier relied on. It's terrible advice.

Parry

Nov 22, 2020
    On my way out of Maryland
    Chambered and Kydex holster with trigger guard well enclosed.
    This. When I first started, the main reason I didn’t feel comfortable with one in the chamber is because of inadequate holsters. With a good holster that fits your gun specifically can make a huge difference. I prefer kydex too, … with a positive click retention.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    tenor.gif

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    Every refence I see aboutthe "Israeli method" begins with racking a round at presentation. Seems to add about a second to battery.
    They know a little about guns.
    What are the pros and cons?
    Your practice?

When Marines guarded the gates of USMC bases and Naval bases with 45's they had them locked and cocked in their holsters. Without a round in the chamber you are holding a metal rock.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    For another perspective - Lenny Magill (Founder/CEO of Glock Store) makes an argument for carrying in Condition 3 (empty chamber but a loaded magazine in the weapon). He explains his rationale starting at 15:15 in the video: .

First off, thank you, Hickory76, for giving us a timestamp so we don't have to sit through the whole video.

But, Lenny?!?!? FFS! You've got the safest striker fired system in the world...nothing less than "Perfection," and you are saying not to utilize it. Is Gaston even in his grave yet to be rolling?

Putting the loaded gun in your armpit? :wtf: That was after racking it, right? Is he really a CCW instructor? And then he tells you to practice your draw, demonstrating twice...without racking it either time.:o

If he's really that worried about having the gun taken away from him, maybe he should just keep it completely unloaded...and in a safe :shrug: In fairness, though, I was never taught any gun retention techniques for the holsterless armpit carry anyway.

He suggests unholstering and chambering it if you think danger might be coming...but if you have that much time, you probably have time to get away.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Anybody ever practice drawing while in their car? I've dabbled...though not nearly as much as I should. It is very different from the driver's seat vs. passenger. I can't imagine trying to rack it in and amongst the seatbelt.
    Damn. Now I'm going to have to try:o

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Anybody ever practice drawing while in their car? I've dabbled...though not nearly as much as I should. It is very different from the driver's seat vs. passenger. I can't imagine trying to rack it in and amongst the seatbelt.
    20231209_093759.jpg

Yup. That's where appendix really shines. If you simply untuck your shirt over top of the seatbelt, you can draw almost the same as when standing. In the above picture, the bottom version is how I drive around. The top version is to show what the gun is doing under my shirt.

It's also where red dots shine. You can punch it off the steering wheel if you need to rack it with one hand pretty easily.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Kinda like carrying a SAA revolver with a live round under the hammer but the next chamber empty.
    That's what I did not do, with my clone SAA carry gun.
    When I carried, I just left it on my dashboard of my truck.
    Soon as I got past Glen Rock, id hand it over to which ever one of my boys was in the back seat so they could clear it and put-it in a case before Monkton or the state line.
    I always carried my SA pistol on an empty chamber.
    One time I went off in the woods to check on something with my 45 auto.
    On an empty chamber, I walked right up on this nice buck coming up out of this funnel.
    I got that slide back about a 1/4" till he heard it and ran off. I think if he was a bad guy or some sort of communist out there in the woods, he would've gotten me before I even knew what the happened.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County

WTF. With the exception of Voda Consulting, that is quite possibly the stupidest, worst advice I've ever seen in a gun video.

Putting the loaded gun in your armpit? :wtf: That was after racking it, right? Is he really a CCW instructor? And then he tells you to practice your draw, demonstrating twice...without racking it either time.:o

Did you notice, at 23:35 he spoke about how fantastic that simple clip holster was, because you could put the firearm on and take it off without ever unholstering it, so it was so much safer?

Meanwhile just before that he was talking about taking it out, racking one into the chamber when you feel the need, sticking under your arm, presumably removing the round to make it more safer when you feel warm and fuzzy again....

Here's a better idea.... STOP F-ING AROUND WITH IT. Chamber it once, put it in the holster and LEAVE IT THERE.

Crazytrain

Certified Grump
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 8, 2007
    Sparks, MD
    It's a good question. So good it comes up frequently. And all the answers are more or less the same.

My view...Most important point: Speed (as said by many above). Next most important point: in a crisis situation, the adrenalin flows, fine motor skills degrade, tunnel vision occurs...this is not the time to require extra steps. I don't even like a manual safety as I've actually accidentally engaged it at the range and was surprised when the gun didn't function. The less things to worry about, the better.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia

No, just no. There is no good argument for carrying that way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    First off, thank you, Hickory76, for giving us a timestamp so we don't have to sit through the whole video.

But, Lenny?!?!? FFS! You've got the safest striker fired system in the world...nothing less than "Perfection," and you are saying not to utilize it. Is Gaston even in his grave yet to be rolling?

If he's really that worried about having the gun taken away from him, maybe he should just keep it completely unloaded...and in a safe :shrug: In fairness, though, I was never taught any gun retention techniques for the holsterless armpit carry anyway.

He suggests unholstering and chambering it if you think danger might be coming...but if you have that much time, you probably have time to get away.

Lol, this guy should go teach at Worth A Shot

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Lol, this guy should go teach at Worth A Shot

Clearly the only safe way to carry, and the most tactically advantageous, is small of the back carry... And don't let me see you running that support thumb along the frame, tuck thumb on thumb in a good revolver grip for that glock.

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    In the US military carrying with an empty chamber is traditional... they didn't trust the average GI...maybe that was a valid concern at the time.

With proper training there's no reason not to carry with a loaded chamber.
    Remember that the average soldier is 17-20 years old, 2 to 6 months fresh out of basic training with less than 20 hours of range time, having fired the absolute minimum number of rounds to qualify.

Next, recall that 85-90% of all US troops never see combat in their first enlistment. They are carrying rifles or pistols in the REAR area, no place near probable enemy contact.

For them, empty chambers and magazines in the ammo pouches means very few Negligent discharges, and fewer cases of peacetime injury or death.

---------------
    For a reasonably trained civilian who may be 3 seconds away from a carjacking or robbery attempt- carry a loaded handgun with a loaded chamber.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bapple

Latest threads

Top Bottom