Any 'net bought emergency food worth it?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Any recommendations on a mill? Most of the ones I saw on Lehman were $300 for a good one and hand cranked. I have seen people saying if you want good flour you need the Country Living Grain Mill and that is darn near $700

pen

Sep 15, 2015
    Carroll county
    $40+ dollars for 36# of wheat is expensive, plus you need a mill. 50# of feed wheat is probably $18 and stores selling food cleared at $25+ so the bucket and Mylar bags will save a lot of money and give you more. Do you all have a mill? I bought a cheap one and it is just that. Okay to crack chicken corn for feed, but making flour, not so
    Yes, I do have a mill. Picked it up years ago. Yes, it is more expensive, all things considered, I can open one can, use it and not have to worry about spoilage or waste or resealing a mylar bag. Another plus is the shelf life. Before the ban on going into their facility and canning it yourself it was cheaper. Always good to have variety and diversify. YMMV.

pen

Sep 15, 2015
    Carroll county
    Any recommendations on a mill? Most of the ones I saw on Lehman were $300 for a good one and hand cranked. I have seen people saying if you want good flour you need the Country Living Grain Mill and that is darn near $700
    I have a Country Living Mill. Buy once cry once. Its heavy duty and not imported.

mal316

MDS Supporter
    Jun 3, 2023
    Frederick, MD
    Have you considered the LDS bishops storehouse? They offer the following:

Wheat, red and white, Flour, dehydrated apple slices, carrots, onions. Rice, flour, black, white and pinto beans, quick and regular oats, macaroni and spaghetti bites. They are over in Upper Marlboro, and you don’t have to be a member. Years ago, you could borrow their canning machine and can your own dry goods but that stopped I believe in 2012. If you can’t make it to their location here is an order form.

https://store.churchofjesuschrist.o...rage/food-storage-items/5637169327.c?lang=eng
    Thanks! I will check their website out.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    I've eaten quite a lot of Mountain House when camping. It's pretty darn tasty. For the vegetarian meals, we sometimes add a pouch of tuna.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    For your auto…don’t forget water…don’t forget seasonal implications on water left in vehicle. Any freeze dried food in bug out bag will require h2O. Nothing worse than getting set for a nice meal or cuppa and realizing you have no water or it’s frozen. Carrying your water in and out of your ride is a good habit in winter.

A couple years ago I picked up one of the ~$140 (Amazon) 12v/120v portable refrigerators that the OTR truckers use for my work truck. Not only does it keep water bottles cold while traveling, it also keeps them from freezing at night.

I bought an Ecoflow River Pro to use during the warmer months. Plug the refrigerator in the 12v of the truck and the River Pro in to the 120v to charge on the way to the job and then plug the refrigerator into the River when I get to the job and out of the truck.

Get back in at the end of the day and do the reverse and enjoy a nice cold 34 degree bottle of water on the ride home.

It's the bomb on road trips, not only for cold drinks but pre made sandwiches, veggies, etc... without all the mess of ice in a cooler.

Also portable enough that I have used it on the pontoon boat down south.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    A couple years ago I picked up one of the ~$140 (Amazon) 12v/120v portable refrigerators that the OTR truckers use for my work truck. Not only does it keep water bottles cold while traveling, it also keeps them from freezing at night.

I bought an Ecoflow River Pro to use during the warmer months. Plug the refrigerator in the 12v of the truck and the River Pro in to the 120v to charge on the way to the job and then plug the refrigerator into the River when I get to the job and out of the truck.

Get back in at the end of the day and do the reverse and enjoy a nice cold 34 degree bottle of water on the ride home.

It's the bomb on road trips, not only for cold drinks but pre made sandwiches, veggies, etc... without all the mess of ice in a cooler.

Also portable enough that I have used it on the pontoon boat down south.
    Smart fella. Imagine I’d really appreciate some cold water on a hot day after working in kitchens n galleys over their stoves.

When I parted company with my Tundra last year, the replacement has a cooler in the box between the seats. Enter either side. Cold as can be. Fits about seven 12 oz cans or bottles. I generally put bottles of water and a DoubleShot or two and a can of Coke for any trip further than Asheville. Nice to have refreshment at hand. Caffeine too for me.

I also carry an insulated bottle of about 30 oz of water all the time except winter. Then it’s only on long trips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Noha

Latest threads

Top Bottom