Any 'net bought emergency food worth it?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • King Chicken

I identify as King/Emperor
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 24, 2022
    Land Full of Marys - MoCo
    The more ways you’re able to cook, the better.

Signature for cooking involves many things. Smoke and smell are near the top of the list. When you haven’t eaten for a while and somebody is cooking (almost anything) you can smell it a long way away.

Rocket stoves are wonderful. Stocking up on propane is never a bad idea. Use it. Trade it.

The freeze dried hiking chow is great initially… as boiling water is pretty quick, low signature and can easily be kept hidden.
    Why are rocket stoves wonderful? Never heard of it before now. At first I thought you meant a pocket rocket(lightweight stove).

I really have appreciated my Jetboil while hiking in many different environments. Very efficient and important piece of my kit.

1000005617.jpg

Last edited:

Growler215

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    SOMD
    Why are rocket stoves wonderful? Never heard of it before now. At first I thought you meant a pocket rocket(lightweight stove).

I really have appreciated my Jetboil while hiking in many different environments. Very efficient and important piece of my kit.
    You can build a pretty good rocket stove with bricks or cinder blocks. Check YouTube for ideas. Very efficient and little smoke due to complete high temperature combustion.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Jetboil might be a great stove, but if we run into a SHTF scenario you are not able to obtain refill canisters. A rocket stove works on sticks and small wood splits, which can be hand made and readily available.

King Chicken

I identify as King/Emperor
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 24, 2022
    Land Full of Marys - MoCo
    Jetboil might be a great stove, but if we run into a SHTF scenario you are not able to obtain refill canisters. A rocket stove works on sticks and small wood splits, which can be hand made and readily available.
    Yeah you'll eventually run out of fuel.

I imagine you can't use a rocket stove safely indoors, can you? I mean the premade small metal ones.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Why just initially? Are they not recommended long term?
    Just curious.
    No problem eating them all the time…forever. Except you’ll have to have lots of money to have ROUGHLY 2 a day at $10 each. Moreso if you’re feeding several folks. No reason you can’t have thousands on hand…except cost and storage.

The limit is wallet based not product based. IMO of course.

Another consideration is not unlike MREs. Realistically, there’s only so many different meals. Won’t be too long you go back to first world think and bitch about eating “the same thing over and over.” Heard it from a friend…

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    They are loaded with sodium I believe.
    Sodium can be an issue. Moreso for old folks with high BP…and likely run out of BP meds by 90 days into any long term event…

Otherwise, the sodium should be welcome in a grid down environ where lots more work and exercise outdoors equals loss of sodium via sweat. Just cutting and humping wood alone will bring a need for more sodium.

The freeze dried chow is engineered for folks who are Uber active outside and all kinds of WX. Sodium and fat are their friend.

Joseph

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 13, 2009
    Clinton MD
    No problem eating them all the time…forever. Except you’ll have to have lots of money to have ROUGHLY 2 a day at $10 each. Moreso if you’re feeding several folks. No reason you can’t have thousands on hand…except cost and storage.

The limit is wallet based not product based. IMO of course.

Another consideration is not unlike MREs. Realistically, there’s only so many different meals. Won’t be too long you go back to first world think and bitch about eating “the same thing over and over.” Heard it from a friend…
    Got it. Thanks.

pen

Sep 15, 2015
    Carroll county
    I've got a couple of buckets of ReadyWise that I bought at Costco on the cheap, a 10lb bag of dried black beans, 32 oz of dried skim milk, and that's about it.

I realize that this is inadequate. But when I look at the prices of the internet store emergency food, my inner Scot starts yelling at me.

Is there any of these emergency food sellers that offer reasonably priced for what you get?

(I'm hearing the snickering even now)

I read where you can go to our good friends the Mormons to look for reasonably priced foods, but it seems like it's always eggs or milk and the like. Not prepared meals.

What's a cheap prepper-wanna-be to do?
    Have you considered the LDS bishops storehouse? They offer the following:

Wheat, red and white, Flour, dehydrated apple slices, carrots, onions. Rice, flour, black, white and pinto beans, quick and regular oats, macaroni and spaghetti bites. They are over in Upper Marlboro, and you don’t have to be a member. Years ago, you could borrow their canning machine and can your own dry goods but that stopped I believe in 2012. If you can’t make it to their location here is an order form.

https://store.churchofjesuschrist.o...rage/food-storage-items/5637169327.c?lang=eng

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    $40+ dollars for 36# of wheat is expensive, plus you need a mill. 50# of feed wheat is probably $18 and stores selling food cleared at $25+ so the bucket and Mylar bags will save a lot of money and give you more. Do you all have a mill? I bought a cheap one and it is just that. Okay to crack chicken corn for feed, but making flour, not so much.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    $40+ dollars for 36# of wheat is expensive, plus you need a mill. 50# of feed wheat is probably $18 and stores selling food cleared at $25+ so the bucket and Mylar bags will save a lot of money and give you more. Do you all have a mill? I bought a cheap one and it is just that. Okay to crack chicken corn for feed, but making flour, not so much.
    Buy a decent mill or ensure someone in your tribe has one. It’s not that much money. PS. Shelf life better with unprocessed wheat n oats n barley etc. imo

PS. When things get bad, don’t rule out birdseed and or suet as nutritional sources.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom