Any 'net bought emergency food worth it?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    Damn, y'all! This is great advice! All of it.

Thank you all for the time you took. I will review the advice and start this weekend.

First, I need to identify space to store this food... :eek:
    I've learned that a dirt crawlspace is more temperature regulated than you'd think. They are acceptable for this type of storage. Just make sure that there is no odor of food on the buckets and that they are sealed tight. Check on them periodically.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    5 Gallon buckets do not take up that much room. I got three stacked next to my fishing/reloading bench in the basement and could put 5 more there easily. Three high is less than the height of my work bench. Plus they move easily if you need to move them.

The dirt basements were the original root cellars. The farm I hunt was an original farm from the early 1800's, or before. The basement still has potato bins on the dirt floor. My buddies son was talking about building a root cellar. I was like "Stuff them in your Nan's basement and carry up a 5 gallon bucket when you need some."

hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    But if you have mice and they turn into rats, a rat will eat through a 5-gal bucket without even noticing it. Ask me how I know...
    Dayum. Even the thicker buckets w/ the screw on lids that pool chlorine comes in? These have to be mice proof and I don't have rats, but I always thought these were vermin proof.

WatTyler

Ultimate Member
    Dayum. Even the thicker buckets w/ the screw on lids that pool chlorine comes in? These have to be mice proof and I don't have rats, but I always thought these were vermin proof.
    My experience was with the orange HD 5 gal buckets, but the holes and teeth marks were quite impressive. Looked like someone had taken a router to them. Bastids even went after the medical supplies. I switched to metal cans for the important stuff.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    My experience was with the orange HD 5 gal buckets, but the holes and teeth marks were quite impressive. Looked like someone had taken a router to them. Bastids even went after the medical supplies. I switched to metal cans for the important stuff.
    Old metal/galvanized shitcans with lids FTW. While they’re overkill for most folks, they do the job to the max. Pro tip. They get mui heavy and dint stack for shit.

Yingpin

Ultimate Member
    May 31, 2013
    Kingsville, MD
    Years ago when I was commuting to Rockville, DC and Nova regularly I had gotten into prepping in the sense of having a bug out bag in each on of my cars. During covid we started a food pantry, basic canning (pickles mainly) and gardening.

Two nights ago my wife said “what do you think about prepping, I keep reading things about solar flares and the threat of china”. I said let’s do it!

Anyway she ordered a meal kit and protein kit from Costco this morning. Not sure if it was a great deal but one was $80 off and one was $20 off. It’s a start. Believe one was for 150 meals and 100 meals for the other. Love the bucket idea and going to do that next. Good thread and good timing although I can firmly say we are behind the times.

For the bug out bags out last night to check on them and see what needs to be refreshed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Years ago when I was commuting to Rockville, DC and Nova regularly I had gotten into prepping in the sense of having a bug out bag in each on of my cars. During covid we started a food pantry, basic canning (pickles mainly) and gardening.

Two nights ago my wife said “what do you think about prepping, I keep reading things about solar flares and the threat of china”. I said let’s do it!

Anyway she ordered a meal kit and protein kit from Costco this morning. Not sure if it was a great deal but one was $80 off and one was $20 off. It’s a start. Love the bucket idea and going to do that next. Good thread and good timing although I can firmly say we are behind the times.

For the big out bags out last night to check on them and see what needs to be refreshed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For your auto…don’t forget water…don’t forget seasonal implications on water left in vehicle. Any freeze dried food in bug out bag will require h2O. Nothing worse than getting set for a nice meal or cuppa and realizing you have no water or it’s frozen. Carrying your water in and out of your ride is a good habit in winter.

Lifeboat rations are great for bugout/long term vehicle storage. They are designed for hard conditions for a long time and are VERY calorie dense. Also edible with zero prep. Essentially, they’re big old shortbread cookies. Available easily on Amazon for decent deals. PS. Critters love them too so store them accordingly. Ammo can is about perfect.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Get a pot add water and suspend over your fire (you have fire starters?) add some beans and simmer while you go out and check your traps, deadfalls and snares. Depending on what you caught select the meat of the day and gut it and skin it (you have a skinning knife and a book on game prep?) and add it to the pot. While making the rounds you were also gathering edible wild foods (just refer to your field guide for what is in your area) so now go to the garden and add what is also in season then prep the veggies and add to the pot. Pot looks a little thin so add some pasta to bulk it up and a few spices to bring out the flavors. Stew for dinner will be filling and satisfying.

Survival guides:

Deadfalls and snares:

Wild Game butchering:

Edible wild plants:

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    For your auto…don’t forget water…don’t forget seasonal implications on water left in vehicle. Any freeze dried food in bug out bag will require h2O. Nothing worse than getting set for a nice meal or cuppa and realizing you have no water or it’s frozen. Carrying your water in and out of your ride is a good habit in winter.

Something other than pure water will stay liquid at lower temps, and freeze to a slush instead of hard ice until it gets really cold. IE, Gatorade, or Capri Sun. Also the Capri Sun pouches will give instead of bursting even if it does get cold enough to freeze solid.

Obviously not good for making soup or rice, but that is a different issue.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    R
    Something other than pure water will stay liquid at lower temps, and freeze to a slush instead of hard ice until it gets really cold. IE, Gatorade, or Capri Sun. Also the Capri Sun pouches will give instead of bursting even if it does get cold enough to freeze solid.

Obviously not good for making soup or rice, but that is a different issue.
    Roger. Copy. Concur.

I’d maybe suggest broth given sodium content. Easier to cook with vs Gatorade etc. Even then, some winter WX will move broth past slush with sufficient time to work on it. I wouldn’t be against adding some likker to the water to ward off freezing. More sound process (imo) says take water in and out during winter ops where go bag is appropriate.

If it was simple and easy (and cheap), more folks would be really good at it.

King Chicken

I identify as King/Emperor
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 24, 2022
    Land Full of Marys - MoCo
    Get a pot add water and suspend over your fire (you have fire starters?) add some beans and simmer while you go out and check your traps, deadfalls and snares. Depending on what you caught select the meat of the day and gut it and skin it (you have a skinning knife and a book on game prep?) and add it to the pot. While making the rounds you were also gathering edible wild foods (just refer to your field guide for what is in your area) so now go to the garden and add what is also in season then prep the veggies and add to the pot. Pot looks a little thin so add some pasta to bulk it up and a few spices to bring out the flavors. Stew for dinner will be filling and satisfying.

Survival guides:

Deadfalls and snares:

Wild Game butchering:

Edible wild plants:
    Jokes on you. You caught nothing in your traps and you threw poisonous berries into your shtty stew. You lose. Nature is not amused :).
    I'm very glad you're confident in your trapping and foraging skills though.
    Seriously though ty for the links.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Jokes on you. You caught nothing in your traps and you threw poisonous berries into your shtty stew. You lose. Nature is not amused :).
    I'm very glad you're confident in your trapping and foraging skills though.
    Seriously though ty for the links.
    It is a good idea to have a few hard copy old fashion books on hand in case when the SHTF the electronics go down.

imaoldcowhand

Aug 3, 2018
    You can buy cases of canned goods at Costco

Buy a bag of rice to go with those beans

Buy cases of SPAM. SPAM kept the English fed and in the fight in WW2.

Buy MREs or other field ration type meals. Don't have to buy surplus, you can buy from the current manufacturers. New MREs have a shelf life of approx 12 years when properly stored.

Render pork fat into Lard

Buy water purification supplies and quality storage containers.

Storing non-potable water for washing and decontamination needs

As for the Mormons and 7th Day Adventist, both in believing in preparation and storage of supplies. Both groups teach classes and prepping skills.

There's hundreds of common sense skills for food storage that our forefathers and ancestors utilized before electricity and refrigeration.
    HORMEL made their first batch of Spam in 1937. The company just announced that they are getting ready to run their second batch due to the consumers hoarding!

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Never cooked long pork. Does it get tough is well done? Maybe better at 135 - 140? The Baltimore Butchers clients said it was pretty good ground.
    Low n slow if my research is correct. Most is self basting with plenty marbling. I think DocT says 165 internal temp. Damned meat thermometer needed. Good thing I’ve got a old school one that doesn’t need batteries.

There’s lots of good rubs. Maybe consider Bens Heifer Dust. RecTec has a couple good ones too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom