• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • D.Dasher

Mar 14, 2012
    Hello All,I have a older L.C.Smith 12g double shotgun,I looked up the serial number at the LC Smith asscn. and it came back vintage 1920,the barrels are marked "LC Smith maker Syracuse NY" I have read that LC Smith was bought by Hunter and moved to Fulton,NY in the late 1890s.Can anyone fill in the blanks here,I am at a loss. Thanks for all your help.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    LC Smith serial numbers started over at various times so the serial number look up can give you the wrong date.
    Based on the LC Smith Maker it is an early Syracuse gun,1887 or so, they were very high quality for their time. They were available in five grades, Quality 1 thru Quality 5, you can identify which grade by the level of engraving.
    Most were high grade Damascus barrels with the Damascus pattern being different depending on grade.
    Pic of my Quality 2 which in 1887 had a list price of 100.00 bucks, pretty pricey for the time.
    IMG_4305_zpsummbx1kk.jpg

platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    Will copy and post my very detailed "research letter", believe I paid $75.

The following is the intro to their forum.

The L.C. Smith shotgun is an American classic and is unquestionably one of the finest shotguns ever made. The L.C. Smith Collectors Association was formed to (1) stimulate and educate members and the public in their knowledge of the history and production of the L.C. Smith shotgun, (2) encourage the value of good sportsmanship to shooter and collector members and the public, (3) promote a positive, responsible use of firearms to members and the public, and (4) encourage creation of an L.C. Smith museum.

The L.C. Smith Collectors Association provides this website to members and nonmembers. However, we encourage you to become a Member to be able to enjoy the L.C. Smith Journal and all of the other benefits associated with membership.

We believe that you will enjoy exploring this website to learn more about the rich history and many grades of the L.C. Smith shotgun. It will be especially valuable if you are searching for information about the L.C. Smith you inherited from your grandfather, the one you have been shooting for many years, or the one you have just acquired or are thinking about purchasing. MEMBERS ONLY: One of the benefits of membership in the L.C. Smith Collectors Association is that you may request basic information (such as barrel length or options) about a shotgun. If you are a MEMBER, you may email the serial number and questions to
    Jim Stubbendieck. If you are not a member of the L.C. Smith Collectors Association, you have request a research letter.

To obtain all of the existing information about your shotgun, the Research Division of the L.C. Smith Collectors Association can search the factory production records and can provide this information in a letter. Order a research letter by completing a form and sending a check ($50 for members, $75 for others). The new Blue Book of Gun Values coming out this year specifies that a research letter adds an additional $100 to the value of any L.C. Smith.

Please let us know if you have any problems navigating through this site or if you have suggestions for additions or improvements.

Bill Ruth, Webmaste

http://www.lcsmith.org/

[URL=http://s933.photobucket.com/user/slickville/media/LC.Smith_zps7wiabhc9.jpg.html] [/URL]

D.Dasher

Mar 14, 2012
    Thanks

Hi Guys,thanks for the information on the LC Smith and a point in the right direction for a Factory letter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ddsabedra

Latest threads

Top Bottom