• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Digby

Feb 19, 2014
    Western Howard County
    Hello guys
    I have a CZ452 in 17HM2 that I bought 8-9 years ago. It's a great rifle and consistently shoots 1 MOA groups at 100 yards, as long as the wind is calm.

My problem has been in locating 17HM2. Haven't seen any for sale for at least 4 years. Hornady claims they still make it, but none of the big distributors have had any. I see it on Gunbroker, but its all old stock that people are trying to sell for ridiculous prices.

Anyone know of any Maryland sources for the ammo?
    Thanks!

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Hello guys
    I have a CZ452 in 17HM2 that I bought 8-9 years ago. It's a great rifle and consistently shoots 1 MOA groups at 100 yards, as long as the wind is calm.

My problem has been in locating 17HM2. Haven't seen any for sale for at least 4 years. Hornady claims they still make it, but none of the big distributors have had any. I see it on Gunbroker, but its all old stock that people are trying to sell for ridiculous prices.

Anyone know of any Maryland sources for the ammo?
    Thanks!

I don't shoot Mach2 but ammo availability has been a recurring theme for a number of years now. I do remember seeing an article not too long ago regarding this issue. The source escapes me at present, but IF memory serves, CCI is now the only manufacturer of this ammo. They manufactured for the Hornady label as well. What I remember reading is that the current 22lr lack of availability is at least somewhat responsible for playing into the prolonged lack of availability of 17Mach2. The .17 cases are supposedly necked down CCI Stinger 22lr cases. Shutting down the .22lr lines to produce .17 Mach2 from the Stinger cases hasn't made sense with the 22lr availability issues of the last few years. In other words, which one will they produce, with .17Mach2 taking an extended back seat.

Cannot attest to the accuracy of this info, but it did seem to make some sense. Accurate or not, the future for .17m2 doesn't appear to be too promising.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    17HM2 hasn't been in production for several years. Only way to get it is finding a stash of NOS or a private seller.

BuildnBurn

Professional Pyro
    Oct 25, 2012
    Frederick County
    I don't know of any MD based for sale, but keep your eyes open online. Academy Sports had new manufactured Hornady .17hm2 in stock last week and I was able to get two bricks before they ran out. It pops up now and then but goes FAST.

I bought a CZ American back in January without knowing the dire ammo shortage for 17hm2. I placed an add in the WTB forum and a very kind member of MD Shooters sold me twelve boxes of Eley for a very fair price not long after I bought the rifle.

With CCI being the only manufacturer and rounds like Mini-Mags still a scarce commodity I don't see the market being flooded with .17hm2 any time soon.

Digby

Feb 19, 2014
    Western Howard County
    I don't know of any MD based for sale, but keep your eyes open online. Academy Sports had new manufactured Hornady .17hm2 in stock last week and I was able to get two bricks before they ran out. It pops up now and then but goes FAST.

I bought a CZ American back in January without knowing the dire ammo shortage for 17hm2. I placed an add in the WTB forum and a very kind member of MD Shooters sold me twelve boxes of Eley for a very fair price not long after I bought the rifle.

With CCI being the only manufacturer and rounds like Mini-Mags still a scarce commodity I don't see the market being flooded with .17hm2 any time soon.

Thanks BuildnBurn. I'll start stalking Academy Sports. :):)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom