• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • n1111tr0

Jul 9, 2008
    Belcamp
    alright i just took my winchester m1917 out to the range for the first time today and i was very disappointed. I was using ballistic tip hunting loads that i picked up from the same show i bought the gun. they were 150 grain bullets that were supposed to be going 2800 fps. i would have used simple fmj bullets if i could find them but i was just trying to get something quick because i knew i was going to be shooting it soon. I didnt think it would matter. I ran about 40 rounds through it and it shot terrible groups and about half of them key holed. Any ideas as to why in the hell it was doing that? it was supposed to be a new barrel. it looks like a new barrel and at a visual inspection the rifling looks perfectly fine.

molonlabe

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2005
    Mountaineer Country, WV
    I would suspect the barrel is shot out. I own one I bought in the 80's that was sporterized for about 150 bucks. (yes that was common then) It is a tack driver and my go to deer rifle in inclement weather. The one I have has a lot of pitting, probably from corrosive ammo. The lands are very deep and in good shape. I did not expect an old rifle like that to shoot well. Does the 30 cal bullet slip into the bore at the muzzle end easily? That would be a quick check as that would cause keyholing. It is 30-06 correct???

http://www.milsurps.com/showthread.php?t=10297

Try the above link.

n1111tr0

Jul 9, 2008
    Belcamp
    i think the crown is jacked up. i took a bullet and jammed it in pretty hard. hard enough to make a mark in the jacket of the bullet. there is a significant gap in the spacing of the marks. i assume thats the worn spot. i also assume this is whats causing the problem. if the gasses arent escaping equally i imagine it would flip the bullet.

n1111tr0

Jul 9, 2008
    Belcamp
    here's a thought....where can i just find a new barrel. the freaking barrel on this thing is CAI. the same company that turns out cheap ak imports. if i could find a better barrel maybe that would be a better course of action rather than repairing a low quality barrel.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    here's a thought....where can i just find a new barrel. the freaking barrel on this thing is CAI. the same company that turns out cheap ak imports. if i could find a better barrel maybe that would be a better course of action rather than repairing a low quality barrel.

CMP.

Dan44

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2008
    CIA (Century) could be just an import mark. I'd take it to a gunsmith and have it looked at, maybe could have it counter bored?

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    cmp does have replacement barrels, but 1917's are know for receiver cracking on switching barrels so make sure you use a smith who works alot on 1917's.

8milimeter

RICHARD (dino)
    Feb 15, 2009
    Frederick, Md
    M1917

Original 1917 barrels were .309+
    They do not like boat tail bullets, especially 150g
    Try a 165g or 180g flat based bullet.

If you are suspect that the crown is uneven I would have it recrowned.

n1111tr0

Jul 9, 2008
    Belcamp
    im taking it to a gunsmith today. i really like this gun. ive got to get it working right. im absolutely going to try a different bullet. im probably going use this as an excuse to finally get in to reloading.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom