• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JayCorleone

MD by way of GA
    Jan 22, 2012
    Boonsboro
    Purchased a brand new Rem 700 with mossy oak camo(just cuz I thought it was sexy..nd yeah I know, thread worthless without pics, I'm on a cellphone).

It has the standard chinese 3x-9x 40 on it, I'm going to use it for about a year then remove it for something better with more magnification.

Shooting 160-175grs out of a 1/9 twist Recently I've been trying to sight it in at +1.5 at 100yds, but my shooting has been erratic, I'm blaming me, this is just step one in me eventually sighting itt dead on at 200yds
    With current optics and caliber. Is that a good distance?
    Am I doing it right?
    Looking for all input,critism,slashings, whatever yall have for me, hit me.

BTW yes I know my optics are poo, I will replace them within the year, but these are going to hgelp me get familiar with the weapon,

So fellas, am I doing it right?

Kimerazor

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2011
    "FEE state"
    First, at what distance do you plan to shoot game or targets? If your longest shot on deer will be 100 yards, then there is no need to go farther.

Secondly, there are some decent inexpensive scopes on the market . Since you didn't mention a brand, I assume that the "Chinese" model isn't much. The rule is to spend at least as much on glass (optic / scope) as you do on the rifle. There is a reason for this.

Thirdly, some rifles don't like certain cartridges. It sucks to buy a box at the costs and not use them all the way you want to use them. Buy another brand and try again. Someone may have a few rounds to lend.

Fourth, the power is fine. You don't need more (unless you want more). The 30-06 isn't known for long distance accuracy. A good round, just one that isn't a sniper round.

Start at 25 yards to see where you are hitting and work to longer distances. I recommend a Laserlyte to get you close before you send lead downrange.

Good luck!

NRA & SAF Life Member

JayCorleone

MD by way of GA
    Jan 22, 2012
    Boonsboro
    Mine is a 7mm rem mag, it does shoot far and from I understand due to it's flat shooting nature, I can zero at 200, be around 1.3to1.7 low at 100 and not be far off at 300. Maybe I forgot to mention the caliber, sorry. But ueah, since it4 a 7mm rem mag, I want way more magnifiction for some possible distnce shooting one day. I'm hitting paper at 100, just not as tight, or near 1.5ish as I'd like.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    First off try some lighter bullets something in the 139-154gr range. Those heavier bullets are way more than you need for any deer and your rifle may not like the heavy weights.Were you shooting offhand or from a bench with bags? What size groups were you getting? To save ammo on sight in its best to bore sight the rifle first and that should get you on paper pretty easy. Also a 7mag heats up the barrell pretty quick so be sure to allow barrell to cool between shots.

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    First, at what distance do you plan to shoot game or targets? If your longest shot on deer will be 100 yards, then there is no need to go farther.

Secondly, there are some decent inexpensive scopes on the market . Since you didn't mention a brand, I assume that the "Chinese" model isn't much. The rule is to spend at least as much on glass (optic / scope) as you do on the rifle. There is a reason for this.

Thirdly, some rifles don't like certain cartridges. It sucks to buy a box at the costs and not use them all the way you want to use them. Buy another brand and try again. Someone may have a few rounds to lend.

Fourth, the power is fine. You don't need more (unless you want more). The 30-06 isn't known for long distance accuracy. A good round, just one that isn't a sniper round.

Start at 25 yards to see where you are hitting and work to longer distances. I recommend a Laserlyte to get you close before you send lead downrange.

Good luck!

NRA & SAF Life Member

So you think the 30-06 is not accurate.

Amazingly, the .30-06, a cartridge with well over a century of unmitigated success on the range and in the field is rarely seen on the Highpower range these days and is poorly understood by a generation of shooters raised on plastic rifles firing cartridges nearly suitable for rodent control. The .30-06 conquered the 1000 yard ranges from Camp Perry to Quantico, from Camp Pendleton to Fort Benning and all points in between - not to mention the battlefields of Europe in two World Wars where the average firing distance was long and the stakes immeasurable. Yes, history matters, in real life as well as in competitive shooting and the .30-06 is most certainly not a dusty relic of history; it is an accurate, powerful cartridge, capable of exceeding it's many offspring in any measure of ballistic performance. Beating the baby cartridges with the .30-06 doesn't take any voodoo or exotic components, just attention to details and the careful application of a century of accumulated wisdom.

JayCorleone

MD by way of GA
    Jan 22, 2012
    Boonsboro
    First off try some lighter bullets something in the 139-154gr range. Those heavier bullets are way more than you need for any deer and your rifle may not like the heavy weights.Were you shooting offhand or from a bench with bags? What size groups were you getting? To save ammo on sight in its best to bore sight the rifle first and that should get you on paper pretty easy. Also a 7mag heats up the barrell pretty quick so be sure to allow barrell to cool between shots.

I did shoot some 139s had some good sucess, shot 175s, not so well, got 160s now to try. I wasn't shooting off hand, shot some from prone, which ctully were my worse, the rest from a bench but no bags, I couldn't get things together, I wouldn't say I had any "groups". This is my first scoped rifle and it"s a bit embarassing, I shoot everything else well. I had a buddy who is on leave who happens to be a sniper, after 40 rounds he still feels like we need to put more down range, not confident in it yet.

Are the scopes n rings that come on these guns that bad?

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    The scope rings and bases are usually crap on combo rifles. Have you checked the action screws to make sure they aren't loose or over torqued? Same goes for screws on rings and bases. If its shooting that bad something is not right.

JayCorleone

MD by way of GA
    Jan 22, 2012
    Boonsboro
    i got rings and bases tightened , check em often. I spent 69 on 40 more rounds, 150 or 160s I think this time, I'm hoping I can just shoot 20 and be happy and locked in. From what I understand it is supposed to be windy tomorrow though. Sigh.

tax time new optics and mounts will be on it, I struggled to buy the rifle cant get a nice scope right now, my dads combo scope sucked, but worked, just cloudy. He ended up buying a Nikon, but didn't change rings like I told him to, we sighted the rifle in, scope came loose, tightened it again and had to sight it again, rings are really, really important, I'm just trying to get by for a few months though , sheesh.

If it's windy tomorrow I reckon I will jjust,..try to wait, I dontknow what else to do.

itsslow98

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2010
    Harford County, MD
    Buy a boresighter................ thatll get you on paper without even shooting a round. Or borrow one from someone local. The rings and scope arent that bad. It will be accurate with the factory scope and rings.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    No bore sighter needed.

Put the rifle up on bags with the bolt out. Adjust the rifle until looking down the bore, the target is centered in the bore. Without moving the rifle, adjust the scope so that the cross hairs are on the target.

Fire ONE round. Adjust rifle on the bags until the cross hairs are on the center of the target again. With moving the rifle, adjust the cross hairs to the bullet hole.

Fire one round. It should be pretty much dead center.

Then using the various ammo you want to try, fire 3 or 5 shot groups. Do NOT worry about where they are compared to the bullseye, you are just looking at the groups.

Once you find the ammo you and the rifle like, then adjust the scope to center that ammo.

Look up Point Blank Range for the distance to zero the rifle at.

And if nothing groups well. 1) Have someone good shoot the rifle, it may be you, 2) Borrow a better scope, the scope is probably junk.

Kimerazor

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2011
    "FEE state"
    So you think the 30-06 is not accurate.

NO. The cartridge has had great wartime success. You are correct. My point is that I cannot think of one sniper today that uses the cartridge.

You can shoot any rifle 1000 yards, but is it practical when better options are available? I hope he didn't buy this rifle to shoot 1000 yards. It certainly doesn't appear so to me.

NRA & SAF Life Member

vinjet700

No one of significance
    Mar 1, 2013
    State of absolute disgust
    No bore sighter needed.

Put the rifle up on bags with the bolt out. Adjust the rifle until looking down the bore, the target is centered in the bore. Without moving the rifle, adjust the scope so that the cross hairs are on the target.

Fire ONE round. Adjust rifle on the bags until the cross hairs are on the center of the target again. With moving the rifle, adjust the cross hairs to the bullet hole.

Then using the various ammo you want to try, fire 3 or 5 shot groups. Do NOT worry about where they are compared to the bullseye, you are just looking at the groups.

Once you find the ammo you and the rifle like, then adjust the scope to center that ammo.

And if nothing groups well. 1) Have someone good shoot the rifle, it may be you, 2) Borrow a better scope, the scope is probably junk.

This... ^^^^ :thumbsup:

huesmann

n00b
    Mar 23, 2012
    Silver Spring, MD
    No bore sighter needed.

I'd just aim at some point approximately as far as you want to zero, strap the rifle down, and get a poor man's boresight (with the bolt removed, look down the bore and see what it's aiming at). Then adjust your turrets so that the scope is aiming at the same point (that's why the rifle needs to be strapped down--so that it doesn't move while you're fiddling with turrets). Then you can replace the bolt and start shooting.

Semper Noctem

Desk Rabbit
    Aug 9, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    No bore sighter needed.

I successfully did this last weekend, and it worked wonderfully. No fancy tools needed.

OrangeSpear

NRA Member
    Feb 4, 2010
    Owings Mills
    I read this book from John Barsness and learned so much about sighting in a rifle, scope mounting and scope selection. Rifle Trouble-Shooting and Handloading

One of the biggest sighting in issues he sees, is people over tightening the scope rings. When you tighten them to much, it changes how the internals of your scope work thus changing its accuracy.

Bullet weight and twist rate have a lot to do with accuracy too.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I'd just aim at some point approximately as far as you want to zero, strap the rifle down, and get a poor man's boresight (with the bolt removed, look down the bore and see what it's aiming at). Then adjust your turrets so that the scope is aiming at the same point (that's why the rifle needs to be strapped down--so that it doesn't move while you're fiddling with turrets). Then you can replace the bolt and start shooting.

Uuuhhhh. That is what I said to do in the first part.

The second part is how to make the final adjustment with the least amount of rounds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom