• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Garand1957

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 30, 2007
    The War Room
    Yes. My Dad has a Russian SKS that I have shot a bit. I have always found the Ruskie somewhat plain. The Yugo OTOH looks like the business. I like that it is the Swiss Army knife of SKSs.

Looks like you got a very nice one but I have seen Yugos that look factory new outside and have frosted bores. Remember these are all "refurbed" SKS rifles ( except for about 250 brand spanking new ones that I.O. Illegaly brought in ).
    Some of the ones being sold saw service after being refurbed some did not.
    Don't get me wrong I like Yugo SKS rifles (I have a few ;) ).
    But....

The Yugo is as far as you can get from the "Swiss Army knife of SKS's.
    There are more posts on gun forums about them having FTF and FTE problems than all other SKS rifles combined.
    Those problems are centered around the gas system, specifically the gas shut off valve. The valves corroded after their service in the Yugo military shooting corrosive Yugo x39 ammo. The bores and valves were not chrome lined which caused most the problems with the valves and the all too common "frosted" bores seen on this model SKS.
    The corroded valves are so common that cottage industries sprang up selling SS replacement valves like: http://www.cncwarrior.com/comersus/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=1 and http://www.murraysguns.com/sks_gv.htm as well as a host of do it yourself repairs using paper clips.
    The Russian SKS is king for quality.

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Looks like you got a very nice one but I have seen Yugos that look factory new outside and have frosted bores. Remember these are all "refurbed" SKS rifles ( except for about 250 brand spanking new ones that I.O. Illegaly brought in ).
    Some of the ones being sold saw service after being refurbed some did not.
    Don't get me wrong I like Yugo SKS rifles (I have a few ;) ).
    But....

The Yugo is as far as you can get from the "Swiss Army knife of SKS's.
    There are more posts on gun forums about them having FTF and FTE problems than all other SKS rifles combined.
    Those problems are centered around the gas system, specifically the gas shut off valve. The valves corroded after their service in the Yugo military shooting corrosive Yugo x39 ammo. The bores and valves were not chrome lined which caused most the problems with the valves and the all too common "frosted" bores seen on this model SKS.
    The corroded valves are so common that cottage industries sprang up selling SS replacement valves like: http://www.cncwarrior.com/comersus/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=1 and http://www.murraysguns.com/sks_gv.htm as well as a host of do it yourself repairs using paper clips.

That is good to know so I know what to keep clean. Thanks:thumbsup:

I had the gas system completely apart to decosmo and everything looks new. If it is re-arsenal I am not sure what could be original. The stock, receiver, bolt, bolt carrier, trigger group, mag, gas system, sites, springs, bayonet... all look brand new. The serial numbers match. I did not check the bore, but as the exterior blue looks exactly like the gas tube. I think it is unlikely they built and entire rifle around a barrel with mint exterior and frosty rifling.

As far as Swiss Army knife. The Russian and Chinese do not launch grenades. Nor do they have the night sites. As I understand, the FTF/FTE has to do with people flipping it to single shot mode.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    BlueHeeler, Thats a beautiful rifle you got! I am actually surprised more so that it came from SOG, I have never been 100% pleased with what they send me. But i would be very pleased with one of them in that cond. Congrats!!

The Murray's valve are a little oversize to help seal up the system. i just ordered two.

Last edited:

CraZ4GunZ

Dec 12, 2008
    HoCo
    GREAT! Shooter

I have the same rifle, which had almost as much cosmo. After cleaning her up and re-lubing - I now have a MOA or better shooter (with iron sights!) Absolutely L-U-V this gun!!! although I am having primer issues with Wolf ammo. Murray's is performing surgery on the bolt as we speak and I should be back sending them Russkie rounds down range next week!
    Congrats on a very good pickup. :thumbsup:

Sthomas229

none
    MDS Supporter
    May 7, 2009
    Laurel, MD
    I have the same rifle, which had almost as much cosmo. After cleaning her up and re-lubing - I now have a MOA or better shooter (with iron sights!) Absolutely L-U-V this gun!!! although I am having primer issues with Wolf ammo. Murray's is performing surgery on the bolt as we speak and I should be back sending them Russkie rounds down range next week!
    Congrats on a very good pickup. :thumbsup:

Can't wait till mine gets here!:tap::drool:

6cylrider98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 1, 2008
    Bmore Co
    Love mine too, you got a nice one!! Got one to shoot and one to look at.LOL It does shoot nice, anything inside 100yrd is toast. A little heavy but would have it over a ak if its all I could get. I like the longer range these shoot at.

shaddydan

ADHD chicken fighter
    Oct 22, 2010
    Hydes
    That's a beauty! I got lucky a couple months ago and picked up an unfired one at a local shop for $329.

Garand1957

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 30, 2007
    The War Room
    That is good to know so I know what to keep clean. Thanks:thumbsup:

I had the gas system completely apart to decosmo and everything looks new. If it is re-arsenal I am not sure what could be original. The stock, receiver, bolt, bolt carrier, trigger group, mag, gas system, sites, springs, bayonet... all look brand new. Yep they put a lot or most new parts on when the rifles were refurbed and changed over from M/59 to M59/66 configuration The serial numbers matchWhy wouldn't they ?. I did not check the bore, but as the exterior blue looks exactly like the gas tube. I think it is unlikely they built and entire rifle around a barrel with mint exterior and frosty riflingActually it is very common. A frosted bore would not exclude the rifle from service. All M59/66 rifles in this country with the exception of the 250 aforementioned rifles are refurbs made from M/59 rifles.

As far as Swiss Army knife. The Russian and Chinese do not launch grenades. Nor do they have the night sites. You plan to be launching a lot of grenades ?:D As I understand, the FTF/FTE has to do with people flipping it to single shot mode. I also read about a few goofs who did that..But I was refering to the thousands of people who have had gas system cycling problems that are very well documented on about every shooting board on the net

:thumbsup:

Sthomas229

none
    MDS Supporter
    May 7, 2009
    Laurel, MD
    Got home Tues to find a sticker from the BBTOF on my door, look what I just picked up.:bannana::clap:

Looks like new!

Last edited:

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    can't get on their website.

329.00 each + ship or + ship and transfer if you dont have a C&R FFL.

If you guys have a C&R and want a good deal on a Yugo right now, contact this guy and tell him I( Dave) sent you, you can save about 50.00 on what you are going to spend with SOG. Dont Bid on it, as he would rather sell outright to avoid GB fees. But I just bought a few SKS's off him and I just set smokedog Up with him two days ago on a very nice paratrooper, he is a stand up guy.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=208852065

Sirex