• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phx223

Member at Large
    Feb 15, 2010
    West of MD, East of CA
    I posted about the billet lowers from Quentin Defesnse in the Water Cooler, really nice at 175$, but on a 24 week back order.

If you rather have forged (higher grade of Al), or need a lower in 16 weeks there is JD out of San Diego. Their lowers don't seem to be as detailed as the billet and are still 170, but they do offer color fill if that's your thing and have the modern Army logo and the proper Navy logo. Airforce is the same and the Marine lower looks similar as well.

http://www.jdmachinetech.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=JD&Category_Code=223LWR

FWIW I'd spend the extra 5 bucks and wait the extra 8 weeks for the billet from QD.

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    If you have the time to search around you can find stuff at local shops and not have to wait. Yea, you are probably going to spend more than $175 but at least you don't risk waiting 20+ weeks. You're SOL if the ban goes through. This past Friday, I called a local shop asking if they would do a transfer for a stripped lower. They asked me what kind and how much I was paying. After I told them, he told me someone had just brought in a Spikes Zombie lower and put it on consignment. He told me that if I was interested he would give it to me for the same price and save on the transfer fee. Being how I've been wanting a Spikes Zombie lower, I immediately said, I'll take it and was there within 20 minutes doing the paperwork.

I suppose I just got really lucky finding something I really wanted locally instead of just settling for something.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

phx223

Member at Large
    Feb 15, 2010
    West of MD, East of CA
    What's QD please?

QD is quentin defense, a company out of AZ that has some awesome lowers

If you have the time to search around you can find stuff at local shops and not have to wait. Yea, you are probably going to spend more than $175 but at least you don't risk waiting 20+ weeks. You're SOL if the ban goes through. This past Friday, I called a local shop asking if they would do a transfer for a stripped lower. They asked me what kind and how much I was paying. After I told them, he told me someone had just brought in a Spikes Zombie lower and put it on consignment. He told me that if I was interested he would give it to me for the same price and save on the transfer fee. Being how I've been wanting a Spikes Zombie lower, I immediately said, I'll take it and was there within 20 minutes doing the paperwork.

I suppose I just got really lucky finding something I really wanted locally instead of just settling for something.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

I doubt any local shop has the JD or Quentin lowers seeing as those are from Cali and Arizona and not big companies. And 20 weeks out is July/August so there's still plenty of time before Oct 1. Buying local is great if they have what you need, but some things are so specialized that buying local isn't going to happen.

Winterborn

Moved to Texas
    Aug 19, 2010
    Arlington, TX
    I posted about the billet lowers from Quentin Defesnse in the Water Cooler, really nice at 175$, but on a 24 week back order.

If you rather have forged (higher grade of Al), or need a lower in 16 weeks there is JD out of San Diego. Their lowers don't seem to be as detailed as the billet and are still 170, but they do offer color fill if that's your thing and have the modern Army logo and the proper Navy logo. Airforce is the same and the Marine lower looks similar as well.

http://www.jdmachinetech.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=JD&Category_Code=223LWR

FWIW I'd spend the extra 5 bucks and wait the extra 8 weeks for the billet from QD.

Wonder if we went them the mdshooter logo they could do one? They have a cal-guns one.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

phx223

Member at Large
    Feb 15, 2010
    West of MD, East of CA
    Wonder if we went them the mdshooter logo they could do one? They have a cal-guns one.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

They are based in Cali, so the Cal-Guns makes sense to have, and they might have been open to doing a run for us last year. But with their backorders stacked and MD about to make these lowers not welcome, I don't see any company risking making lowers that wont sell (who out of MD would want the MD Shooters logo?) or even taking time to set up a cnc design for a few custom orders, but maybe we could set up one last group buy through them, from one pro 2A group in an anti 2A state to another.

Maybe drum up the usual suspects of TSS1004 or MauiWowie, not sure what shop is going to want a case of lowers in their back room for a month but maybe that can be worked out too?

Me, I'm out. By the time such things got in I would no longer be a MD resident, but it would be pretty cool if there was a final GB on custom 'roll marks.'

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    We've had MDS lowers. It was a few years ago, but we had them.

phx223

Member at Large
    Feb 15, 2010
    West of MD, East of CA

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      43.8 KB · Views: 521

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    QD is quentin defense, a company out of AZ that has some awesome lowers

I doubt any local shop has the JD or Quentin lowers seeing as those are from Cali and Arizona and not big companies. And 20 weeks out is July/August so there's still plenty of time before Oct 1. Buying local is great if they have what you need, but some things are so specialized that buying local isn't going to happen.

Yea, you're right. They probably don't. However, if you are interested in small business Lowers, there is a local guy from Maryland making Lowers of the highest quality. You are going to pay for them but you're paying for the type of aluminum being used, the custom design and the amount of time it takes to make each one.

Here are some pics of the lowers:

feca14c5-f637-473a-92ff-db720759b5a7_zps50529a4e.jpg

9fcd944f-1062-46d1-9963-10b3e830eca4_zpsa6df82e2.jpg

7e838f9d-05e0-4c37-a3b0-b50a72c40e9f_zps501e80a0.jpg

pix929561701_zps326cc4f7.jpg

pix215807629_zps6682658d.jpg

pix904846323_zps40af0969.jpg

phx223

Member at Large
    Feb 15, 2010
    West of MD, East of CA
    Yea, you're right. They probably don't. However, if you are interested in small business Lowers, there is a local guy from Maryland making Lowers of the highest quality. You are going to pay for them but you're paying for the type of aluminum being used, the custom design and the amount of time it takes to make each one.

Looks like a seekins on 'roids. Not my thing, shoot I am not a fan of nonboring 'roll marks' just seems like one more thing a lawyer could use against me if I was ever unforunate enough to have to use a firearm in self-defense, the exception being the military logos as I have a slight connection to the Navy.

Interesting that the interior of the FCG pocket, the pin holes, and a few other things aren't annoed. Not dure how I feel about that. Some people say the Al oxidizes into a hard layer anyways, other's that the 6 or 7 series Al is strong enough and then there is the opinion that anno is needed to keep from egging out the pin holes. I haven't done any research into any of it, so I have no view on which one is right, just that it is strange that some interior parts are annoed and others are not (80% that come annoed?)

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Looks like a seekins on 'roids. Not my thing, shoot I am not a fan of nonboring 'roll marks' just seems like one more thing a lawyer could use against me if I was ever unforunate enough to have to use a firearm in self-defense, the exception being the military logos as I have a slight connection to the Navy.

Interesting that the interior of the FCG pocket, the pin holes, and a few other things aren't annoed. Not dure how I feel about that. Some people say the Al oxidizes into a hard layer anyways, other's that the 6 or 7 series Al is strong enough and then there is the opinion that anno is needed to keep from egging out the pin holes. I haven't done any research into any of it, so I have no view on which one is right, just that it is strange that some interior parts are annoed and others are not (80% that come annoed?)

None of it's Annoed. It is Alodined. In the end however, the type of Aluminum being used is already stronger than your average aluminum used to build lowers and extremely resistant to corrosion. If you're wondering what Alodine is, it is a treatment process applied through heat rather than electrical current like Anodizing. The Military uses it on a lot of their weapon systems and Naval ships due to Anodizing leaving microscopic pores that can corrode. Here is the Mil Spec: http://www.everyspec.com/MIL-SPECS/MIL-SPECS-MIL-C/MIL-C-5541E_2379/

By the way, the Aluminum used actually goes beyond the T7 treatment process. It is 7075-T7351

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Do you see anywhere on Quentin Defense where it lists what kind of Aluminum they use? If it truly is "Aerospace Quality" then it should be higher grade then what JD is using which is 7075 T6. If I were into military stuff or were ex military, I would without a doubt wait a couple more weeks for the Quentin Defense lower. It looks better and it appears to be the higher grade aluminum.

JoeBobOutfitters.com

Industry Partner
    Oct 20, 2010
    Hays, KS
    Do you see anywhere on Quentin Defense where it lists what kind of Aluminum they use? If it truly is "Aerospace Quality" then it should be higher grade then what JD is using which is 7075 T6. If I were into military stuff or were ex military, I would without a doubt wait a couple more weeks for the Quentin Defense lower. It looks better and it appears to be the higher grade aluminum.

Huh?

Aerospace uses a ton of 6061 T6 and 7075 T6 Aluminum. 99% of lowers out there use the same exact material, which is aerospace quality (7075T6).

The military is no different. The majority of the skin on military helicopters, from what I remember, was 6061T6 or 7075T6 in the .030-.040 range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom