• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • reverendbeer

Stiff Member
    Nov 9, 2012
    Anne Arundel Province, DPRM
    Ok, so technically it's not a 03FFL C&R:

http://www.ima-usa.com/m-1878-marti...ern-short-lever-infantry-rifle-untouched.html

But I've been looking for a good reason to build an electrolysis tank, and this seems like a pretty good reason.

Anyone see a reason NOT to get one of these?

At worst, I'll have to get new furniture, but for something like this, I have no problem having that made (as long as the metal comes out decent).

And as for decent metal, "bad" = unserviceable.

Eh? Eh?

ENABLE ME!!! ENABLE ME!!!!

smoothebore

I got one of the Martini Henry's back when the cache of guns was first discovered and offered for sale. Very nice and fun to shoot. I don't know about these. They are really scratching the bottom of the barrel now.

Attachments

• martini-henry 001.jpg
      martini-henry 001.jpg
      25 KB · Views: 214
    • martini-henry 004.jpg
      martini-henry 004.jpg
      21.9 KB · Views: 216
    • martini-henry 005.jpg
      martini-henry 005.jpg
      32.8 KB · Views: 214
    • martini-henry 002.jpg
      martini-henry 002.jpg
      39.5 KB · Views: 220

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Always wanted a martini Henry in 576 but just don't know enough about them and how to tell originals from khyber pass guns

MotoJ

Sep 4, 2012
    Mobtown
    Go for it!

Sportsman's Guide had these in pretty decent shape a few months ago. I haven't looked for them since. I've always wanted one since I saw "the Man Who Would Be King". Sean Connery and Michael Cain at their best!

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    These are Gurkha made variations without the cocking indicator on the right side.

Not proper Martinis.

One thing: you won't have to clean any cosmoline off them.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    These are Gurkha made variations without the cocking indicator on the right side.

Not proper Martinis.

One thing: you won't have to clean any cosmoline off them.

See thats the kind of think I need to know.........but it isnt a priority at the moment given politics. After October 1 I will be checking out some of these fine British antque anti-personnel rifles.

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    I bought one a few years ago. The condition was pretty pitiful, as in, the firing pin was broke, stock broken and wobbly and filled with worm holes, lever would not work correctly and the barrel was pitted beyond belief and filled with what looked like old grease or mud, etc. IMA described the condition of rifle perfectly so nothing against them but the one I got wasn't in any condition where I could do what I wanted to do with it so I returned it. I'd say if you want a wallhanger to spend hours prettying up then you should be good to go.

Although, some people have fixed them up and actually shoot them. I'd make damn sure it was safe before I'd even think about it though

smoothebore

The MH I posted is British made, and not one of the "untouched" ones that are now offered for sale. I bought it from Atlanta Cutlery who is a partner with IMA on these Nepal guns. Mine was already cleaned somewhat, then I dis-assembled it and cleaned more. I don't recall what I paid, but it was around $800.00.

You might get lucky, but more likely that old addage will apply "You get what you pay for".

Chaunsey

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2009
    brandywine MD
    ive bought 4 of these nepal cache guns, the last one i restored was back in 2010.

first thing i would say is this, the francotte guns tend to be the worst condition of the bunch, they are the cheapest for a reason.

there are NO kybher guns, these are real british and nepalese guns and one of the most proven authentic sources you can possibly get. the cache has BOTH british made guns later sent to nepal, and also nepalese made ones, they are listed separately, you can pick what you want.

the "gahendra" rifles are a great buy, most are in decent condition and restore wonderfully, even if you need to buy a few parts, maybe do a little wood repair and refinish work, but they're a great buy. also, i know that the british guns are more sought after and valuable, however it should be noted, the "gahendra" model rifles were only made in small numbers, and in the long run they are actually one of the rarest martini models, though technically they are not actually martini rifles, a more accurate nomenclature would be "gahendra henry" if anything. also the mystique of the famed gurkha regiments i think in the long run will ensure decent collectability for these.

if you want to spend more the british model martinis are a great buy as well.

also i would highly recommend the snider rifles.

myself i have restored a gahendra and a long martini, and both came out fantastic, i did not even have to actually restore most of the snider, i could have simply cleaned it up and shot it as it came to me, but i completely restored most of it, refinished the lock, i left the barreled receiver as is after cleaning up, and it looks great.

i also got a british long lever martini from sportsmansguide, which was a great buy, yes its and alreadty cleaned up rifle so it costs more, but its really nice, and with sportsmansguide's club the discounted price was great, and they allow you to pay for it in 4 parts, no interest, which makes it much easier to swallow the purchase rather than if you were to do it in one lump payment.

basically if you're looking for a nice martini, not necessarily looking to gamble on an affordable project, get a restored martini from sportsmansguide if you wanna pay it in 4 parts, or just straight from IMA>

if you want an untouched gun with a pretty good chance of being restorable to shooting, try for a gahendra or snider.

also i would remind you that they have an open showroom, you can actually go there and pick your rifle if buying it sight unseen scares you.

heres some before and after pictures of the 2 i restored, both are in shooting condition.

heres the gahendra, i used electrolysis to clean it up and it came out beautiful.the stock needed very little work, basically sprayed it down with citristrip, and then finished it in BLO. iirc i had to replace one barrel band, those are some of the parts more likely to have pitting.

one of the best and worst things about these is that they are actually covered in old grease, and anyone who has cleaned up old cosmo knows how tough it is, well now imagine cosmo after 120 years or so.

among restorers of these things this stuff is called yak fat.

the up side is, the guns are actually mostly in pretty decent shape under this stuff once you get it cleaned up.

i was actually surprised how nice the bluing still was on the receiver, most of the gun has good bluing turning to that nice plum color.

before:
    gahendra.jpg

gahendra2.jpg

gahendra3.jpg

after:
    gahendra4.jpg

gahendra5.jpg

gahendra6.jpg

gahendra7.jpg

gahendra10.jpg

gahendra11.jpg

gahendra12.jpg

heres the snider, this one was in even better shape, didnt need electrolysis, i cleaned it all up, i re oil blued the lock parts, the lock looks almost new now, the barrel has a nice plum color, you cant oil blue critical parts and i didnt think it would look good with a cold blue, wasnt gonna pay for a hot blue, so i left it as is, it looks great though.

i dont have any after pics of the full rifle, but i have before pics and an after pic of the lock.

snider.jpg

snider2.jpg

snider3.jpg

snider4.jpg

snider5.jpg

snider6.jpg

snider7.jpg

after pic of the lock:
    Sniderlock.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics