• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SmokeEaterPilot

Jun 3, 2011
    Hey everyone!

I posted a few days ago that James River is leaving MD.

Now I know The Gun Celler may not have "closed"

Their hours are always sporadic at best. But went by there today and it was closed up and all the rifle racks were completely empty.

Anyone know the story?

They weren't known for a MilSurp inventory but every once an a while you could find a gem. I got a 1903A3 Remington lightly sportered (only the stock was cut down, nothing drilled, tapped or removed other than that) for $175 and that was only 2 years ago.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I know this is an OLD thread. BUT in order to avoid redundancy, I want to post this here. In Honor of my friend and the man from whom I bought my best weapons from, I am sad to report that on January 5, 2022. Dean Pennington, the owner of The Gun Celler has gone home to Jesus.

My tribute to Dean in the Obituary is pending.

I came to know of The Gun Celler and Dean through some friends who hunted up where I moved in Millers Md. He was such a good guy to me.

I am pretty sure I bought at least 4 guns off him. Anyway, to summarize, He was such a benevolent guy and hard working. Dean was the average Joe's Joe.
    Dean was a great ambassador for hunters and fishermen. In that vein is how I heard his message to me. He told me these words I never forgot. Once while visiting the shop and either buying a gun that day or ammo or something, I mentioned how for the same gun, he was way cheaper than almost everywhere.

" I don't have this shop to make a huge profit, I do it for you guys."
    Dean did not treat me as a customer, he greeted me as a friend.

Thank you Dean, My Gun Celler guns will be my most treasured guns in your honor. RIP Buddy.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Thanks Doc.

Today is both a tough one and a blessing. I was able to reach out to the daughter of Dean's right hand woman in his business ventures, to pass on my condolences and well wishes to her mother. She said it was a tough loss, and now her mom is in a battle all her own health wise. I am glad to say that today I was blessed to have reached her daughter to pass on my prayers to mom and this makes for quite a tribute. The last I saw the daughter she was but a cute little elementary school age girl. Now she has a son that same age.

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    As a bricklayer/mason myself, Dean and I had a lot in common. I didn’t frequent his shop often, but when I did he was always a nice guy to talk to. He also always had great deals!
    A few of the guys I worked with, worked for him when he was a masonry contractor. If we were working in that area, we would all stop by and say hi, and catch up with him.
    I had no idea he pasted away, thanks for letting us know.
    RIP Dean

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom