• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RepublicanJD

Jul 16, 2014
    AA County
    How does one go about figuring out who might own a patch of woods? There is no physical address that I can figure out (thought one may exist). I think I need to look at a map, but I'm not sure where to start. I assume someone here might be able to point me in the right direction.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Go here: http://www.mdmerlin.net/

Click on the interactive map ver 2.0. Under the word resources.

Find the property, in left hand side box Legend, check box for Parcel boundries/SDAT data.

Find the parcel number by clicking on the map property. SDAT URL more info will give owner name and address.

RepublicanJD

Jul 16, 2014
    AA County
    Go here: http://www.mdmerlin.net/

Click on the interactive map ver 2.0. Under the word resources.

Find the property, in left hand side box Legend, check box for Parcel boundries/SDAT data.

Find the parcel number by clicking on the map property. SDAT URL more info will give owner name and address.

This is a fantastic resource. Thanks!

Figured out it's open space owned by an HOA. Anyone have any experience with that? My gut says they probably won't be ok with it. It's 35 acres, though.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    The parcel boundaries are just going off rough county drawings. I just looked at a few and they are wrong.

See lines going through the corner of someone's house.. :rolleyes:

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    Yeah ... good luck with an HOA allowing that. Sounds like a hefty insurance premium if they allowed that.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    MD Real Property Data search on the Assessment and Taxation website is your best bet for getting contact information.

Even if some property management company or land trust owns it, it will have enough info in "Mailing Address" field on the property descriptives for you to search out an email or phone #

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Seems odd an HOA would be setting on 35 acres of undeveloped land. Developer or builder maybe. Think more research is needed. JFYI the site I gave you is not always up to date. I sold a property in July but it is still listed under my name. So things change and not sure how often it is updated.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Seems odd an HOA would be setting on 35 acres of undeveloped land. Developer or builder maybe. Think more research is needed. JFYI the site I gave you is not always up to date. I sold a property in July but it is still listed under my name. So things change and not sure how often it is updated.

Open space set-aside, forest conservation area required as part of the subdivision plat approval. The developer puts a perpetual conservation easement on the parcel and deeds it to the HOA for $1 at the conclusion of the project. Due to the conservation easement it is now undevelopable and gets preferential tax treatment. I want to say our HOA pays $250 for 30acre set-aside.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Open space set-aside, forest conservation area required as part of the subdivision plat approval. The developer puts a perpetual conservation easement on the parcel and deeds it to the HOA for $1 at the conclusion of the project.

Even better for the developer if it's considered "wetlands" - they get the credit for a parcel they couldn't have developed anyway.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Tree/forest conservation area..
    Housing development are required to have such a thing.. Depending on location and zoning.

Edit.. Traveler beat me to it.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Even better for the developer if it's considered "wetlands" - they get the credit for a parcel they couldn't have developed anyway.

Behind my house are two parcels. One is 30acres zoned Ag and has a conservation easement on it which was part of our subdivision. The other is low-lying land that has been converted into a 'wetland' by building a little berm. It has 47 separate conservation easements on it. Anytime someone in a commercial area at the other end of the county needs to 'disturb' 5000sqft of 'wetland' (iow fill in a swampy low-spot behind his shopping center), they pay the owner of this artificial swamp to give them a piece of paper that 10000sqft of wetland were 'created' as part of the 'approved mitigation strategy'. It's a giant scam.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    My little slice o' heaven is in a development built around a shallow pond and a stream. The parts in the middle are conspicuously marked "conservation area" or some such. Well, of course they're conserved. It's a steep grade with a big wet spot at the bottom. Some folks back right up to it, and their lawns are pretty steep back there.

Plenty of deer down there, but no way to get them. Probably lots of mosquitoes, too.

RepublicanJD

Jul 16, 2014
    AA County
    My little slice o' heaven is in a development built around a shallow pond and a stream. The parts in the middle are conspicuously marked "conservation area" or some such. Well, of course they're conserved. It's a steep grade with a big wet spot at the bottom. Some folks back right up to it, and their lawns are pretty steep back there.

Plenty of deer down there, but no way to get them. Probably lots of mosquitoes, too.

These deer are readily accessible and my wife's aunt owns the house in the back of the development where you can walk back. Hunting is happening there already and a 6 point was taken last year. Aunt and the only two neighbors in the court are cool with hunters going back there (deer eat their plants), but I would prefer to avoid a DNR fine if someone else in the development is walking around and notices that there are hunters back there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom