• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AFxReaper

Cyber Intel Guy
    Apr 11, 2013
    Hi everyone,

I am curious if anyone knows or can help me figure out who the CLEO would be for Anne Arundel County. Much thanks!

kazan182

Aug 3, 2011

How is he the CLEO? Doesn't AACPD run all calls for service?

I would think the AACPD Chief, Tolliver, would be the correct choice. Obviously the goal is to get your app approved (or not disapproved) and the Sheriff would work but it just seems to me the Chief of the agency that is the Law Enforcement agency that enforces the law would be the proper choice.

In more rural counties I would suspect the Sheriff is the primary, such as Frederick, Washington, etc. but most that I know of that have a county police agency, the county police are the primary law enforcement folks.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    How is he the CLEO? Doesn't AACPD run all calls for service?

I would think the AACPD Chief, Tolliver, would be the correct choice. Obviously the goal is to get your app approved (or not disapproved) and the Sheriff would work but it just seems to me the Chief of the agency that is the Law Enforcement agency that enforces the law would be the proper choice.

In more rural counties I would suspect the Sheriff is the primary, such as Frederick, Washington, etc. but most that I know of that have a county police agency, the county police are the primary law enforcement folks.

The CLEO has no say in whether your license is approved or not, it's just a friendly notification to the CLEO, when it gets to them they probably put it in file 13 anyway.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    In counties with a sheriff, the sheriff is always the CLEO if the sheriff is elected by the citizens of the county.

Q: Who elected Tolliver?, A: Nobody.

Chiefs of police are appointed political tools and should always be viewed as such.

kazan182

Aug 3, 2011
    The CLEO has no say in whether your license is approved or not, it's just a friendly notification to the CLEO, when it gets to them they probably put it in file 13 anyway.

The Sheriff does not run calls. I am sure they probably have access to CAD to get that info but the reason for the "FYI" app is to give the CLEO an opportunity to provide any info that may assist ATF in making a decision. No, they don't APPROVE or DISAPPROVE but I am pretty confident if a chief wrote on the app or otherwise forwarded info to them (ATF) your house address is in CAD two dozen times for being disorderly, domestics, burglaries where weapons were stolen, you were stopped several times in bad areas at 4am, your house is under investigation by a task force, etc. ATF may take that into consideration.

Elected or not elected, the CLEO, JMHO, mean the Chief of the primary Law Enforcement agency. Sending it to a Sheriff of a county where they do no law enforcement action will obviously work, as you could probably send it to MSP if you lived anywhere in the State (except maybe Balt City) and not have an issue. But I believe the intent is to have the people who police where you live have an option to provide info.

Again, JMHO.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    When I was curios a few weeks ago, called to inquire, I was told that Larry Tolliver is the man. Just my experience.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County

Not quite. The CLEO is generally just the recipient of an FYI copy of the application, but if he/she has cause to think you shouldn't be given a C&R, it's within their power (and responsibility) to inform the BATFE.

That said, it sounds like it doesn't really matter in AA county, so long as you can say that you gave a copy to someone who could reasonably be called a CLEO.

Easytarget18

Señor Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    That said, it sounds like it doesn't really matter in AA county, so long as you can say that you gave a copy to someone who could reasonably be called a CLEO.

I think that this captures the intent of the regulation and I really doubt you will run afoul of the law if you sent it to the county sheriff or the county police chief.

cz27jim

I *am* a curio and relic!
    Sep 27, 2012
    You could send your letter to the county dog catcher and still get your 03FFL. The CLEO has no say in whether you get the license or not. It is strictly for his/her records. BATFE has no way of knowing who you sent the letter to and will issue the license if you pass their background check.

In most counties, the Sheriff is the CLEO. In some counties, such as PG, the Sheriff's office mainly runs security at the courts and the transport of prisoners between jail and court. In that case, you might be justified in sending the letter to the Chief of the PG County Police. But technically, the Sheriff is the CLEO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Comotion357

Latest threads

Top Bottom