• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I hate how they call these battery systems "generators", but anyway.... Anker is running a good sale if you were considering any of these systems.

I just bought a 535 model (500 watt) with 100watt solar panel for a portable, lighter duty travel/camping solution. I am really liking these solar solutions over gas powered generators. My next house, I am going to consider large whole house system. I think Anker and Bluetti are the top 2 out there. Bluetti is having a sale too.
    After seeing reviews, bluetti has many options, but I think Anker has the best technical specs out of them all.
    Direct website has the early black Friday sale going on too, in addition to Amazon.

Why don't Amazon links post anymore?

On sale for $1,100 from $1,400.

Anker SOLIX F1200 Portable Power Station, PowerHouse 757, 1800W Solar Generator, 1229Wh Battery Generators for Home Use, LiFePO4 Power Station for Outdoor Camping, and RVs (Solar Panel Optional)​

solix.jpg

Amazon product ASIN B099Z2RDS5

Abuck

Ultimate Member
    I got the Anker 521 and a BigBlue folding 36W solar panel during the July Prime sale. The Anker was discounted $100. Had been looking at the 535 for a while, but this was a nice deal.

I have a little Ryobi propane genie I usually run at my cabin to charge up batteries, and run a small fan, but with this setup I hardly used it this summer. The great thing is having the input and output readouts on the display. Getting the right alignment on the solar panel makes a huge difference in the charging rate.

I will definitely be looking at larger units in the future. We’ve had several power outages at home this year, and even this smaller unit was very useful.

Last edited:

FN509Fan

Ultimate Member
    I have a Yamaha gas generator from 1990. Thing is a tank. Can sit for a decade, when it's needed, put gas in and one pull and it starts. I have thought about converting to natural gas, but read that that reduces the output. When we first moved to Silver Spring, I used it several times each summer. Now it's once ever few years. I just run the fridge, internet computers and a few lights. It won't run my furnace/AC. Have an in room AC it will run if needed.

Chat-Bot

Disinformation Governor
    Oct 17, 2020
    под скалой
    Been using Anker portable batteries for some years but had a few of them die premature deaths. It wasn't reduced battery life, but just stopped working on all of them, and were different models. I've RMAed a couple but then gave up. Not sure if their larger batteries would suffer the same fate.

I'd say stay away from goalzero because they're overpriced and support was bad for me years ago. Switched to Jackery and so far so good. I use a smaller 300W unit just for charging portable electronics and sometimes small fans when camping. Light and small is the way to go for me plus charging is much quicker.

Be cautious with bigger is better mentality...it takes a lot longer to charge a larger battery with solar. You can get solar panels elswhere for cheaper but have to do research on connectivity. If you want plug and play then you'll pay for it from that manufacturer. You probably won't need large units unless you're trying to show off that you can blend smoothies in the woods.

This one is $900 at amazon with their coupon.
    Amazon product ASIN B0BBZVVF39
    www.amazon.com/Jackery-Generator-Compatible-SolarSagas-Emergencies/dp/B0BBZVVF39?ref_=ast_sto_dp

Just don't go for that doorstop you can't carry yourself, and don't be this guy.
    Solar-Cannonball-YouTube-Screenshot-2000x1000-1-1536x768.png

If you're technically inclined then you can save yourslef a lot of money and make a LiFePO₄ charging system.

shootin the breeze

Missed it by that much
    Dec 22, 2012
    Highland
    I’ve been going down this rabbit hole too and am looking at Jackery, EcoFlow, Ankar and Bluetti. Think I’m settling on EcoFlow. Any comments on them, anyone? They had a big Halloween sale. Black Friday isn’t quite as good. I was hoping it would be better but crapped out.

Chat-Bot

Disinformation Governor
    Oct 17, 2020
    под скалой
    I’ve been going down this rabbit hole too and am looking at Jackery, EcoFlow, Ankar and Bluetti. Think I’m settling on EcoFlow. Any comments on them, anyone? They had a big Halloween sale. Black Friday isn’t quite as good. I was hoping it would be better but crapped out.
    And what a rabbit hole it is...
    Really comes down to what you "need" and how it's going to be used. Sounds like you may be looking for 'cheap' home solution which could be higher costing in the long run.

If you can live with keeping it outdoors, this has an option for propane and gasoline and somewhat quieter than a typical generator.
    www.amazon.com/Champion-Power-Equipment-100719-8500-Watt/dp/B0B7LBNGC8?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1
    Amazon product ASIN B0B7LBNGC8
    They also have a tri-fuel with natural gas.
    www.amazon.com/Champion-Power-Equipment-201176-9000-Watt/dp/B0C9KZCXBL/ref=sr_1_3?crid=392R7STU6PIZY&keywords=201176+9000-Watt+Tri+Fuel+Inverter+with+CO+Shield&qid=1699201029&s=lawn-garden&sprefix=201176+9000-watt+tri+fuel+inverter+with+co+shield%2Clawngarden%2C53&sr=1-3
    Amazon product ASIN B0C9KZCXBL

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Really comes down to what you "need" and how it's going to be used. Sounds like you may be looking for 'cheap' home solution which could be higher costing in the long run.

If you can live with keeping it outdoors, this has an option for propane and gasoline and somewhat quieter than a typical generator.
    www.amazon.com/Champion-Power-Equipment-100719-8500-Watt/dp/B0B7LBNGC8?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1
    Amazon product ASIN B0B7LBNGC8
    They also have a tri-fuel with natural gas.
    www.amazon.com/Champion-Power-Equipment-201176-9000-Watt/dp/B0C9KZCXBL/ref=sr_1_3?crid=392R7STU6PIZY&keywords=201176+9000-Watt+Tri+Fuel+Inverter+with+CO+Shield&qid=1699201029&s=lawn-garden&sprefix=201176+9000-watt+tri+fuel+inverter+with+co+shield%2Clawngarden%2C53&sr=1-3
    Amazon product ASIN B0C9KZCXBL
    We appreciate your enthusiasm for non solar powered generators. Pretty sure he is talking about the electric rabbit hole.

shootin the breeze

Missed it by that much
    Dec 22, 2012
    Highland

We have a gas powered unit with a manual transfer switch that powers the important stuff and keeps the internet on. However, it's a pain in the ass so Blaster is correct.
    We appreciate your enthusiasm for non solar powered generators. Pretty sure he is talking about the electric rabbit hole.
    Indeed, looking at a big boy like the Delta Pro or the Jackery 3000 or Anker Solix with solar panels to power the same circuits and then add on and do whole house with ability to be off grid when we unass this sh!tstain of a state in summer 2025.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    We have a gas powered unit with a manual transfer switch that powers the important stuff and keeps the internet on. However, it's a pain in the ass so Blaster is correct.

Indeed, looking at a big boy like the Delta Pro or the Jackery 3000 or Anker Solix with solar panels to power the same circuits and then add on and do whole house with ability to be off grid when we unass this sh!tstain of a state in summer 2025.
    I like the ability to add extra batteries to the larger house units.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I looked hard at the exoflow but never pulled the trigger. Everything that anker produces is top of class quality and I've never had an issue with their stuff.

What is the estimated cycles for the battery? Thats key, some are a few hundred while others are 1k.

Can it take incoming solar charging at the same time as sending out power? I would assume so but worth checking.

shootin the breeze

Missed it by that much
    Dec 22, 2012
    Highland
    I looked hard at the exoflow but never pulled the trigger. Everything that anker produces is top of class quality and I've never had an issue with their stuff.

What is the estimated cycles for the battery? Thats key, some are a few hundred while others are 1k.

Can it take incoming solar charging at the same time as sending out power? I would assume so but worth checking.
    The Lithium iron batteries are good for several thousand cycles. Downside is they are heavier and bigger than the lithium I forget what other ones are. However, the other ones have about one thousand cycles but are lighter. I'm not interested in that.

I know the EcoFlow can take solar input and give output at same time. I joined their FB group and have been learning a lot there.

Chat-Bot

Disinformation Governor
    Oct 17, 2020
    под скалой

If you want to do it right, it's gonna cost you. Batteries may have to be replaced after a decade and some panels tout 25 year lifespan. But wait until good hail comes down or you have to replace your roof.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    The Lithium iron batteries are good for several thousand cycles. Downside is they are heavier and bigger than the lithium I forget what other ones are. However, the other ones have about one thousand cycles but are lighter. I'm not interested in that.

I know the EcoFlow can take solar input and give output at same time. I joined their FB group and have been learning a lot there.
    Lithium ion aren't good for thousands of cycles, the lithium phosphate LiFePo4 batteries are good for at least 3,000 cycles. That are safer as well.
    Phosphates are the trend now.

Had to edit the iron to ion.

Last edited:

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    Lithium iron aren't good for thousands of cycles, the lithium phosphate LiFePo4 batteries are good for at least 3,000 cycles.
    The, uh, Fe in LiFePo4 stands for "Iron".

From Latin Ferrum, where we get the term Ferrous metals.

Lithium Iron, Lithium Phosphate, technically it's Lithium Iron Phosphate, tomato, tomahto. ;)

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    He referenced Lithium Iron, I'm just saying I think you are both talking about the same technology, not standard Lithium Ion (LiFePo4 is also a Lithium ion battery, just different).
    Yes. They are different batteries.
    But you don't call a lithium ion battery a lithium iron ion battery. Lol
    Him saying just "iron" the me off, at 1:34 am thinking it was ion. Which ion don't get thousands of cycles, but hold a better charge.
    The article I linked explains the difference superbly.

shootin the breeze

Missed it by that much
    Dec 22, 2012
    Highland
    Was running from memory and I couldn’t remember the exact composition of the battery but I was referring to Lithium iron phosphate (LiFePO4), not lithium ion. The other ”new” battery tech is the Li-NCM. Those are cheaper, lighter and possibly safer with regard to thermal runaway but don’t have as many charging cycles. They say ~2500 to 80% but my review of LiFePO4 suggests ~3000 cycles to 100(ish)%.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom