• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Happydude

Mar 18, 2011
    Good Day To You All,
    I'm finding that when firing my Ithaca M37 for the first time that upon the second to last shell being ejected, the last shell gets "hung up" in (forgive me if I say this wrong) ejector. It appears that the last shell comes back too far and therefore cannot be loaded up into the chamber for firing. Is this something I can correct or would I need to take it to a gunsmith? Or, should I just get a different shotgun like, say, a Remington 870 or a Mossberg 500? Also, when I just run some shells through it with the safety on to see it eject, the same thing happens. It is frustrating to see that last shell sitting there.

Thanks,
    Bob:confused:

ALBY

Jan 5, 2008
    shoot a pic and post it up here.

model 37's sometime have issues with double feeds. 90% of the feed issues i see with a model 37 (i have 2) is with the shell stop.

you may need to tune up the "right hand cartridge stop". (bend it to catch the shell)

numrich gun parts will probably have them if you need a new one.

good luck

Happydude

Mar 18, 2011
    Thanks for the response. I contacted Ithaca Gun Co. and will be sending the gun back (they're paying the shipping which is nice) to them for "repair". I spoke with a fellow named Zack (Zach?) there and he said to ship it to them (gun was manufactured in Ohio) and they'd check out the issue and make sure it didn't double feed. In the meantime, I've decided to go and get a Remington 870 Express and see how I like that. I can't wait to take it out and give it a go:)

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    Thanks for the response. I contacted Ithaca Gun Co. and will be sending the gun back (they're paying the shipping which is nice) to them for "repair". I spoke with a fellow named Zack (Zach?) there and he said to ship it to them (gun was manufactured in Ohio) and they'd check out the issue and make sure it didn't double feed. In the meantime, I've decided to go and get a Remington 870 Express and see how I like that. I can't wait to take it out and give it a go:)

I have "the big 4". I have an 870, Mossberg 500, Winchester 1200 and Ithaca 37.

My Ithaca is one made in NY. I don't know if the Ohio Ithacas of late are made to the same quality standards as the originals.

That's not to say they are bad, mind you, but merely stating they aren't manufactured in the same way.

Happydude

Mar 18, 2011
    Idiot Alert! I was about to have the gun shipped back to Ohio and the person at MD Small Arms Range (Jack) figured out the problem in just a few seconds. This is how clueless I am about stuff :o . It turns out that when the gun was assembled, the follower was put in backwards which caused the problem. Works without a hitch now.

futureseabee

CTT not seabee anymore
    Aug 18, 2008
    Va Beach
    Idiot Alert! I was about to have the gun shipped back to Ohio and the person at MD Small Arms Range (Jack) figured out the problem in just a few seconds. This is how clueless I am about stuff :o . It turns out that when the gun was assembled, the follower was put in backwards which caused the problem. Works without a hitch now.

thats great!!:thumbsup:
    and the technical term is failure to eject (FTE)
    the_more_you_know2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom