An Idea - who wants to run for public office?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tangent

Feb 28, 2013
    We have a threat - to primary any incumbent in 2014, how about putting some teeth in that threat? Let them know we are serious!

Before this bill is voted on, could we:

Pull together a slate of candidates to run in every district in the state and announce it.

Have a moneybomb and try and raise at least half a million to a million to START a war chest and announce how much was raised in a few days. Moneybombs are best run every 1-2 months, and the most important one is the first one.

Get actual numbers of the number of primary voters that turned out in the last off year election in each district.

Go over each legislators voting record with a fine tooth comb and an eye to what would piss off the public the most. Some ideas on platform:

The last thing the legislators did last session(?) was to raid and take ALL of the funds from the "Save the Bay" fund raised for charging extra for special license plates and "borrowing" fully half of the teachers pension fund, like Congress did with the Social Security Trust Fund, which it never paid back.

All the financial mismanagement, like continually raiding the highway fund.

The gas tax - which is universally hated.

No Child Left Behind - which is universally hated.

Obamacare - which is universally hated.

Red light camera's - which are universally hated.

Violating their oath to uphold both the countries and states constitution.

Taxes, taxes, taxes!

and of course gun control.

etc.

Pull together some ads with the above for each delegate or senator and let them know we will be running these in local papers and on the radio in the next week or two if they vote in favor of this bill or any other gun control.

Select one or two campaign contributors and show up in mass to picket them. Make sure to invite the press. Put together ads to run in local newspapers urging people to boycott these organizations and groups and provide them to said businesses/groups. Time is too short to actually run them, but camera ready copy would send a wake up call to any donor that will be run if the person they donated to votes YEA. Let them know we are currently pricing ad space.

Let them know that we will start campaigning against anyone that votes YEA next week!

The average cost to win a state senate seat in MD is $121,000

The cost of winning a senate seat
    http://dposorio.com/blog/822/the-cost-of-winning-a-senate-race/

The average cost of winning a rep seat is much less, but I haven't found it yet. I believe that information is somewhere here:

National Institute on money in state politics
    http://www.followthemoney.org/

We shouldn't stop there. So far, only 2 county sheriffs in MD have said they wouldn't enforce gun control legislation. There are also some judges that are very anti-2A. Anyone know who they are?

So, Who wants to run for office? You should be squeaky clean and ideally well known if not a pillar in your community.

Who wants to run to be a state delegate?

Who wants to run to be a state senator?

Who wants to run to be a county sheriff? (should probably have a LEO background)

Who wants to run to be a judge?

Feedback?

-t

buzzsaw

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2013
    Hagerstown
    I'd run but I have a skeleton or two in my closet that I know would cause issues. Nothing illegal or immoral (no, the only kid I've fathered is due to be born in June), but stuff that would still not be cool.

I've thought about this though. I'd be willing to donate what I am able, and to pass flyers out / do voter registration & education drives.

Safetech

I open big metal boxes
    May 28, 2011
    Dundock
    I'd run but I have a skeleton or two in my closet that I know would cause issues. Nothing illegal or immoral (no, the only kid I've fathered is due to be born in June), but stuff that would still not be cool.

Who doesn't?
    :)

Mr H

Unincited Co-Conservative

I've thought about this though. I'd be willing to donate what I am able, and to pass flyers out / do voter registration & education drives.

Similar here... but I have thought about it.

Well, that and the blood pressure.....

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    What are the common qualifications? Expectations of education, work, etc that would make a lucrative, likely canidate?

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    In this state, nobody cares if you inhaled. They want to legalize it. So, if that's one of your skeletons, cross it off your list.

sheat36

May 24, 2012
    Westminster, MD
    I would love to and plan to become heavily involved in responsible conservative politics at the local level where ever my feet land as soon as I retire from the Army next year. No skeletons but I am sure that won't stop the media from fabricating some sensational news stories.

Hopalong

Man of Many Nicknames
    Jun 28, 2010
    Howard County
    There are several groups of people talking about this very thing, offline, for a few districts. And that's all I'll say about that here....

Infosec Guy

Sep 20, 2009
    Columbia MD
    As I mentioned in the 3/29 thread: I'll provide, at no charge, web & mail server space for any qualified candidates. But don't ask me to design anything, 'cause that's just not my gift.

tangent

Feb 28, 2013
    What are the common qualifications? Expectations of education, work, etc that would make a lucrative, likely canidate?

Business owner
    Lawyer
    ex-military
    Doctor
    Teacher
    Priest
    County councilman
    CEO
    Sheriff
    Celebrity (talk show host)
    and similar backgrounds...

-t

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Unfortunately, I'm covered by the Hatch Act.

That being said, remember to come up with a complete platform. You can't win on a single issue. Right now, I think there's going to be a strong populist sentiment. Meaning that you run as a Fresh New Face Fighting The Entrenched Elite.

doug38s

BIGELOW
    Mar 28, 2012
    Sharpsburg
    I am considering running for County Commissioner in Washington County in 2014. Been exploring the options of it for the last two months. Roughly 25k votes will get you elected in a population base of 150k.

Skins_Brew

loves the smell of cosmo
    Mar 4, 2009
    moйтgomeяу сoцйту
    Unfortunately, I'm covered by the Hatch Act.

That being said, remember to come up with a complete platform. You can't win on a single issue. Right now, I think there's going to be a strong populist sentiment. Meaning that you run as a Fresh New Face Fighting The Entrenched Elite.

Anyone running is really going to have to look like a liberal. By no means should you get up there any say one thing and later do another (if elected), but if there is a specific issue that is popular with liberals that you are against it, take no position on it until someone in an official capacity asks (like at a debate or if a newspaper asks). If you openly come out against something like gay marriage or giving illegals more and more benefits, you will be vilified by your opposition and will loose.

Tomcat

Formerly Known As HITWTOM
    May 7, 2012
    St.Mary's County
    From a Southern Maryland thread:thumbsup:

Who wants to be my campaign treasurer? We probably won't have any campaign funds to speak of.

I am about ready to switch party and run against Bohanon in the primary! As retribution for not supportting his constituents before party politics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom