• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sting

Member, League the Armed
    Apr 28, 2013
    Rockville
    There seems to be an ammo shortage. Some say it is the government buying it up. Others say the public is stocking up. Is the government buying it directly from manufacturers?

TTMD

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2012

That's a good article, thanks for posting it. Here's a brief note from NRA-ILA yesterday that sheds addtl light...

"And even if federal agencies bought all of the ammunition for which they've recently solicited proposals, it would still amount to only about three percent of total domestic ammunition production."

http://www.nraila.org/news-issues/articles/2013/5/rumor-control-ammo-shortages-revisited!.aspx

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    There seems to be an ammo shortage. Some say it is the government buying it up. Others say the public is stocking up. Is the government buying it directly from manufacturers?

****I've stocked up for sure - MUCH more ammo is in my safe(s) now than prior to Dec 2012 when it was no problem to get it significantly cheaper than now. I am amazed by some people I meet at the gun store who are waiting for firearms to come in, or have their firearm released from MSP purgatory and do not even have one round of ammo to fire from it.

I have enough now to tide me over for some time but will purchase more if I find a decent deal on bulk ammo, etc... Some other threads have shown crazy high prices for .22lr and other popular calibers but I guess some people must be paying those prices as the stores have little in stock for the most part.

I mostly buy 9mm ammo now as you can never have enough of it due to its apparent lack of stopping power (you apparently have to shoot an intruder, zombie, alien, etc.. ) up to 10 times (hence the 10 round mag rule Oct 1..) compared to a .45 which will kill someones' body AND soul with only one bullet. :)

TTMD

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2012
    .... I mostly buy 9mm ammo now....
    . I haven't found reasonably affordable 9mm in a couple of months, (since I bought some HD JHP 9mm for $40/100 from a police detective in a grocery store parking lot!)

The only 9mm I saw at the Silverado show in Martinsburg was $30 for 50 rds of target ammo.

win296

Jun 15, 2012
    Baltimore
    I went to AmmoMan web site last night to check on current ammo price and availability. I then went down to the basement and bowed down before my Dillon reloading press :)

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Stockpile Defense, the shop mentioned in the article was quoted that they train 50,000 people a year in firearms training. I don't believe it. 1,000 people a week?

mdiom

Sep 7, 2012
    Abingdon
    Short article from guns and ammo web site on the shortage.

www.gunsandammo.com/ammo-shortage13

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

I like how in the article it says, "Who’s to say next year nobody buys any ammo because everybody bought it this year?"

I say, "Because they went to the range."

It's not like we are buying up art to hang on a wall or gold coins for a safe deposit box... Ammo is for shooting. Atleast for me it is.

jrwhitt

May 27, 2012
    Stockpile Defense, the shop mentioned in the article was quoted that they train 50,000 people a year in firearms training. I don't believe it. 1,000 people a week?

Stockpile is the main ammo supplier to Frontsight in Nevada. They certainly run large numbers of students through each week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom