• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • robbo

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2008
    AACO
    A license to purchase a regulated handgun will NOT be required to purchase ammo after Oct 1.

The only thing new related to ammo in SB 281 is this:

A PERSON MAY NOT POSSESS AMMUNITION IF THE PERSON IS
    PROHIBITED FROM POSSESSING A REGULATED FIREARM UNDER § 5–133 (B) OR
    (C) OF THIS SUBTITLE.

Everything else ammunition related involves the commission of a crime.

mike_in_md

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2008
    Howard County
    A license to purchase a regulated handgun will NOT be required to purchase ammo after Oct 1.

The only thing new related to ammo in SB 281 is this:

A PERSON MAY NOT POSSESS AMMUNITION IF THE PERSON IS
    PROHIBITED FROM POSSESSING A REGULATED FIREARM UNDER § 5–133 (B) OR
    (C) OF THIS SUBTITLE.

Everything else ammunition related involves the commission of a crime.

That is exactly why I asked the question. Thus, wouldn't a dealer need to see a regulated firearm license to be able to determine who is allowed to possess ammunition?

dspurlock

Mar 31, 2013
    That is exactly why I asked the question. Thus, wouldn't a dealer need to see a regulated firearm license to be able to determine who is allowed to possess ammunition?

I think you are reading too much into it. I'm not required to have a license after October 1st for a regulated firearm if I purchased it before Oct. 1st. I can't imagine how a dealer or Internet Business could keep up. I believe the law is written to mean if they "catch you with ammo" and your not allowed to have a weapon then you'll be in trouble.

robbo

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2008
    AACO

If you already own a handgun prior to Oct 1 and you are not purchasing a new handgun, you will not be required to have the "Handgun Qualification License".

If you buy ammo for that handgun (or any handgun), a dealer will not "need" to see the "Handgun Qualification License". It is their store and their rules, so I could see how they may ask to see it, but they do not "need" to see it.

gmkoh

Feb 26, 2013
    Annapolis
    How does this affect a hunter under the age of 21? That call is prohibited from owning a regulated firearm.
    Is it possible to be prohibited from owning a regulated firearm, but not prohibited from owning a non regulated firearm? That is, while the checks for a regulated arm are more intense than for a non regulated arm, are the requirements different?

BMassBMore

Apr 22, 2013
    Baltimore
    The way I read this, SB281 does not refer to sale or transfer of ammunition, only POSSESSION of ammunition. Therefore, retailers should have no concerns - the legal burden of whether you are allowed to posses the ammunition is on the purchaser/possessor, not the retailer.

altima98

Apr 6, 2008
    Buy your ammo online and or in VA, WVA and PA. If your worried, but make sure you post any ammo you see locally so I can pick it up. :D

rmiddle

Ultimate Member
    Sep 8, 2012
    Cleveland, TN
    Question: I have already purchased 2 handguns in MD. If I want to purchase another handgun after Oct. 1, will I be required to get this new license? Are they SERIOUS?

Yes. The only break you get is you aren't required to take the training but you are still required to be fingered printed and all the other requirements (BS) for a permit.

Thanks
    Robert

Dave

Ultimate Member
    Jul 10, 2008
    Gamber, Marylanistan
    also in 281 is a provision criminalizing the use/possession of penetrating ammo during the commission of a crime. think anything coated or steel core. I'm assuming this includes M855.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    also in 281 is a provision criminalizing the use/possession of penetrating ammo during the commission of a crime. think anything coated or steel core. I'm assuming this includes M855.

And there's a loophole big enough to drive a truck through: those fools forgot to ban heat-seeking bullets!

daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie

Whatever you do, don't use that type of ammo on your next crime spree. :D

daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    How does this affect a hunter under the age of 21? That call is prohibited from owning a regulated firearm.
    Is it possible to be prohibited from owning a regulated firearm, but not prohibited from owning a non regulated firearm? That is, while the checks for a regulated arm are more intense than for a non regulated arm, are the requirements different?

After 10/1 the only firearms that are regulated are handguns.

BRONZ

Big Brother is Watching
    Jan 21, 2008
    Westminster, MD
    Remember everyone. Being at the house hearing on Feb. 6th, heard more the one say this bill is a good first step.

Who knows what else they could be planning because we and they know gun crime will not be reduced.

shaddydan

ADHD chicken fighter
    Oct 22, 2010
    Hydes
    And there's a loophole big enough to drive a truck through: those fools forgot to ban heat-seeking bullets!
    I am so glad they missed THAT one! I need to get some heat-seeking bullets for my 500 round hi-cap banana clip for my evil shotgun!(each pellet is heat- seeking!):lol2:

gmkoh

Feb 26, 2013
    Annapolis

I don't think the M855 is included, but I may be wrong. The definition I think was solid metal projectile (other than lead)- the M855 is lead core with a steel/tungsten insert, not solid metal. I don't remember if a lubricated coating was mentioned or not in the law. Lots of target rounds are moly coated.

Initially, all metal projectiles were proposed to be banned, but Since theoretically, steel shot for waterfowl hunting would have been banned, as well as "green" hunting projectiles (eg:copper solids), it was changed to use in the commission of a crime, then it was pointed out that if there was a game law violation, someone with steel shot would be subject to enhanced penalties, so the law was amended to "just" violent crimes.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011

Wouldn't that also include any high powered rifle hunting ammo? Surely 30-06 would fall into this category, or is it only for handgun ammo?

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Will a license to purchase a regulated handgun be required to purchase ammo from dealers in Maryland after Oct 1, 2013?

What ammunition are you refering to?

I have a vague image in my mind as to what it used to look like.

I have not seen any in a while.

Again, what ammunition?

As a side note, California just passed a 10 percent tax on AMMO to raise 92 Million Dollars for Mental Health Care and "STUDIES". I'm not sure if we will like the "FINDINGS".

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom