• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheRevolution

Dec 21, 2012
    We all know ammo is hard to come by right now. When a store gets some in it's gone in a few minutes.

Is this ammo shortage really because of mass civilian purchasing?

Thoughts....

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    I think it's getting a tad better. Seems like some companies have ramped up production. I was just in Dicks Sporting goods and saw 20 boxes of Tula 7.62x39 sitting on the shelf for $6.99. It's been a while since I saw that in Dicks. It's funny though. I was at a local gun shop today as well. They wanted $16 a box for the same stuff. They also had 1,000 round cases of 233 for the low price of $1000. What a rip.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

matt1

Feb 5, 2013
    anne arundel county md
    dicks has been getting stuff in, not much ammo still but rifles are coming back on the shelves. Also I heard that the ammo shortage wasnt even us buying it all up, it was initially from the feds taking out such massive orders of ammo to fill their armories...for training of course.

TonyB.

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2012
    Is there a confirmed nationwide shortage of ammo? Or are we just feeling it in md because of local lawmakers?

I've spoken with some of my customers in CO, UT, CA, PA, WV, FL, GA, KY and TN who all say the climate is the same as it is here.

DieHard4192

Jan 16, 2013
    Charles County
    Is there a confirmed nationwide shortage of ammo? Or are we just feeling it in md because of local lawmakers?

The ammo shortage is effecting most of the nation. There are some areas that are better than others and proposed legislation like SB281 in states like MD are making it worse in some areas. I frequent a national gun forum that boasts 115,000+ members and this seems to be the trend, however it does seem to be improving.

Wheaton Hills Sportsman

Jan 27, 2012
    Eventually everyone who wants to panic buy more ammunition than they have ever shot in their life will be sitting around at home realizing that they now have more ammo then they will ever need. Suddenly prices will drop. But it really is the panic buying; there is no conspiracy by the police state to buy all the ammo. They are way too cheap for that, they would just issue a regulation confiscating all the unsold ammo.

LadyAR

Mar 22, 2013
    I just got a Ruger from Dicks and the salesperson said that it just came an hour ago and they have not seen any in 3months and I got it. It's made for a lady colored PINK.

phx223

Member at Large
    Feb 15, 2010
    West of MD, East of CA

I just spent 6 weeks in Mississippi and all three Walmarts I visited had bare shelves everytime i went. You have to realize that everyone that can order is ordering so all the shipments are smaller, there are scores of new gun owners everyday that are clueless as to the cost of ammo, gougers that are buying up everything to sell it to the newbies, and the rest of us who are trying to get ammo to go to the range so we don't have to dip into our stash.

occbrian

Ultimate Member
    Jan 3, 2013
    in a cave
    I have a less popular opinion on this.

I think A LOT of the prognostications (if people stopped buying all ammo, we wouldn't catch up for over 1 year!) are wrong.

There are a lot of people that placed multiple, multiple orders (for rifles too). As things subside, or they find something locally, they will start canceling those backorders. I've seen this first hand with Larue and their rifles. I maintain an order tacking thread over at Larue's IP section on ARFCOMM and tons of customers are pm'ing me about canceling their orders.

Once people start seeing ammo on shelves and start believing that they have a decent shot at picking some up locally, they will stop hoarding and buying 'just to buy.'

Anyway, that's what I think.

Les Gawlik

Ultimate Member
    Apr 2, 2009
    I talk to my former SIL and her husband in Wyoming. They both work in a sporting goods store in Casper. She said the shelves are bare. They won't sell rifles out of state- store policy. They can sell all they can get to local customers, and the store would rather accommodate local customers first.

They said the problem is that the pipeline is empty. Their store cannot find a dependable supplier. It's catch-as-catch-can on ammunition.

Multifaceted

Jerk of all Trades
    Jan 10, 2013
    Adams County, PA
    I don't think it's an ammo shortage per se, as it is more a run on ammo compounded by some private buyers/re-sellers attempting to corner the market. As others here have witnessed and stated, there's some people who have the time and liquidity to scope out, wait, and then buy as much as they're allowed only to resell elsewhere for at least a 100% mark-up, thus yielding a nice profit for the effort.

TonyB.

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2012
    I hope this ammo frenzy will stop.

I'm guessing June/July. Hopefully by then the legislative decisions will be made on the local and federal level and everyone will chill the hell out. It wont be long before all of the "panic buyers" satisy their craving and reduce demand.

radial

Nov 23, 2011
    Boyds
    Feds have been monopolizing the market lately. I'm not sure whether to impute nefarious motives, or just recognize that the government procurement cycle is what it is. But with sequestration looming, they are running short on cash, so expect things to ease up soon as the producers shift from servicing government purchase orders to taking care of the rest of us.

Celtic159

Nov 27, 2008
    Poolesville
    Feds have been monopolizing the market lately. I'm not sure whether to impute nefarious motives, or just recognize that the government procurement cycle is what it is. But with sequestration looming, they are running short on cash, so expect things to ease up soon as the producers shift from servicing government purchase orders to taking care of the rest of us.

Feds are buying 22lr?

Gmercury2000

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2013
    Gambrills
    I think it's getting a tad better. Seems like some companies have ramped up production. I was just in Dicks Sporting goods and saw 20 boxes of Tula 7.62x39 sitting on the shelf for $6.99. It's been a while since I saw that in Dicks. It's funny though. I was at a local gun shop today as well. They wanted $16 a box for the same stuff. They also had 1,000 round cases of 233 for the low price of $1000. What a rip.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

I picked up a 1000rnd case of 223 from dicks today for way less than half that! I hope those places that are charging those redicilous prices get stuck with it after this all calms down!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ObsidianCC

Latest threads

Top Bottom