• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CapoGreg

Extra mediocre
    Aug 10, 2009
    Aberdeen
    I'm assuming what he means, facetiously, is that you meant you were going to use a callsign with the prefix of 1B versus what you meant that you were going to be operating in the 1B class for field day, a portable station operated by one or two people or a battery operated station. http://www.arrl.org/files/file/Field-Day/2014/2014 Rules.pdf

There does seem to have been an up-tick in enforcement of people not following the rules regarding identification.

Ah...thank you. With the emcomm & SAR background I've always been particular about proper identification. I was referring to a 1B class station operated by myself off commercial mains at the campground.

awptickes

Jun 26, 2011
    N. Of Perryville
    Ahhh, ok, that makes more sense. I hadn't read the field day rules yet.

If things go as planned, I'll be a 1b class station as well. Running 3W pep on lithium batteries with a solar charger. As soon as I figure out which public place I'm going to operate, I'm going to send out a press release to the local news paper. :D

Mrhyde

Capitalist-Pig
    May 22, 2010
    Bel Air MD
    Just got my brand new technician call sign. KC3DCK
    they asked me if I wanted to try the general test and I flopped. 20 wrong answers out of 35. Lol. I just took a stab at it haha.

On the air as soon as my call sign is on the website.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    they asked me if I wanted to try the general test and I flopped. 20 wrong answers out of 35. Lol. I just took a stab at it haha.

Congratulations!

chale127

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2008
    Brooklyn, MD

If you have your call it's on the website....

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    Does anyone want to have a meet-n-greet on the air Saturday before Field Day? The one time of year I'm glad to have ponied up for the 2.3kHz SSB filters :)

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    How about 14.230 (14.260 as a backup if 230 is already occupied) so our General friends can join in too?

garym

Damn Right, Rebel Proud
    Sep 20, 2009
    Davidsonville
    Come to think of it 14.230 is in the SSTV area of 14.230 to 14.236.

A lower band may be better for close in, maybe 40 or 80M. 60M (5MHz) is also a really good band for local and DX. I may be mobile a bit during the day but I can do 80M to 6M from the mobile.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I'm enjoying another relatively new benefit of a Ham license, RC FPV.
    Just got a Fatshark Predator system to play around with. Being most flight radios are 2.4ghz spread spectrum, to take advantage of decent power lots of channels, and low intereference, the FPV system has to operate on another band, in most cases 5.8ghz, the antennas are small, and the systems are compact, but most people are limited to about 25mW without a license, good for only about 500 meters. For those of us with Ham licenses, the general limit is about 1W, or 40 times the power, good for a mile or two line of sight, and there are other bands like 1.3ghz that is capable of several miles of range, and can penetrate structures and barriers better. Knowledge of antenna design and gain also helps, most use circular polarized antennas, some omnidirectional for better signal flying around, some high gain directional for greater range. The technology has been falling in cost and complexity, and new simple RTF kits like the predator are ready to go in minutes for a couple hundred, mount the camera and transmitter on the plane(Velcro makes it easy to swap plane to plane), plug in the battery connector, turn on the goggles, and fly with a view from the aircraft. have also used it on an RC truck, less range, but within a couple hundred feet 5.8 offers adequate penetration through walls and brush, with open line of site, I have good video when the 2.4ghz control link gets glitchy and fades around 500-1,000ft.

a couple setups using the Fatshark gear. The video is from a separate SD camera, jumpier picture from vibration, narrower lens, and worse low-light performance compared to the surprisingly good Fatshark camera I'm using with the goggles. Made a small cheap protective mount for my RC truck out of a Tupperware dish, some dampening foam and Velcro that has survived a couple rollovers. All mounting points are Velcro, so takes only a minute to swap between models.

Add an OSD, better camera, better goggles, head tracking, pan/tilt camera mount, lots of details, time and creativity(and at least $1,000 total), and you can have this:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom