• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I got a email from ARRL to send email to our senator's to support the Amateur Radio Parity Act. We should all send the emails. Here is the link .
    http://arrl.rallycongress.net/ctas/urge-senate-to-support-amateur-radio-parity-act

In case others don't know, this is a proposed Federal law that allows licensed Amateur radio operators to erect "effective" outside antennas on their property even if their HOAs have rules against outdoor antennas.

The HOA can still make rules regarding height and aesthetics and other things but they can no longer simply say no.

The real estate industry fought hard against his in the beginning, even publishing lies about the use of amateur radio for emergency uses.

It's not a perfect law but for those living in HOA-hell (and who knows, you may not live under their thumb now but more-and-more it's hard to avoid) it's a big step forward.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    Study guides are fine, but try to understand the theory as well. Best of luck.

It's this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00X6F8DRS/

and yes I agree. I have a friend who passed his tech license through one of those cram classes. We talk about ham and I bring up points that were covered in the tech exam and he says he doesn't know that.

Can you recommend any other books? There are a few in the ARRL's suggested reading list that I might get as well, like the antenna guide.

I'm fascinated with digital modes. I've been scanning the lower end of 2M all this week and not finding anything other than APRS traffic on 144.390. I know most people don't do digital in VHF but there's got to be something out there.

JamesH

That Guy
    Oct 11, 2014
    Laurel, MD
    I'm fascinated with digital modes. I've been scanning the lower end of 2M all this week and not finding anything other than APRS traffic on 144.390. I know most people don't do digital in VHF but there's got to be something out there.

There's very little digital going on above 6m these days, but there is some. Some ARES groups use NBEMS to do message traffic on VHF, but that's not (as far as I know) on any standardized frequencies, just up to local preference. I think there's some moonbounce that uses digital modes like JT65 on 2m. Probably the most active other than APRS is Winlink (www.winlink.org). It's commonly on 145.01 or 145.03, but in PG we have a number of Winlink nodes in 145.75. Winlink is used for radio email, which can either stay in RF or be relayed via Internet. There are both VHF and HF modes for Winlink.

K31

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county

Do you have a 2M rig capable of SSB or are you just trying using a HT with FM-only?

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    There's very little digital going on above 6m these days, but there is some. Some ARES groups use NBEMS to do message traffic on VHF, but that's not (as far as I know) on any standardized frequencies, just up to local preference. I think there's some moonbounce that uses digital modes like JT65 on 2m. Probably the most active other than APRS is Winlink (www.winlink.org). It's commonly on 145.01 or 145.03, but in PG we have a number of Winlink nodes in 145.75. Winlink is used for radio email, which can either stay in RF or be relayed via Internet. There are both VHF and HF modes for Winlink.
    Thanks, I'll check that program out.

Do you have a 2M rig capable of SSB or are you just trying using a HT with FM-only?

I have a 2M FM rig, Yaesu 2900. I also have a hand-held, Yaesu FT-90r, which can do AM on 2M/70cm. Is the AM mode on the HT SSB?

I can hook my HT to the outside antenna if need be.

I'm still saving for an HF rig.

JamesH

That Guy
    Oct 11, 2014
    Laurel, MD
    I also have a hand-held, Yaesu FT-90r, which can do AM on 2M/70cm. Is the AM mode on the HT SSB?

AM and SSB are related, but not identical. AM has both side-bands (the portion that carries sound) and a center carrier. SSB takes that AM signal and drops one of the side-bands and the carrier. The net result is that you can listen to AM with an SSB receiver, but you typically won't have good results trying to listen to SSB on an AM receiver.

Also, I thought that the Yaesu only does AM in the aircraft band, and only for reception. I don't think it transmits AM. But I could have that wrong, and Yaesu's manuals aren't always crystal clear about such things.

K31

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Thanks, I'll check that program out.

I have a 2M FM rig, Yaesu 2900. I also have a hand-held, Yaesu FT-90r, which can do AM on 2M/70cm. Is the AM mode on the HT SSB?

I can hook my HT to the outside antenna if need be.

I'm still saving for an HF rig.

No, AM is both sidebands and a carrier although I think some older radios did both side bands with a suppressed carrier and called it AM.

POP57

Ultimate Member
    Apr 5, 2016
    Delaware
    It's this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00X6F8DRS/

and yes I agree. I have a friend who passed his tech license through one of those cram classes. We talk about ham and I bring up points that were covered in the tech exam and he says he doesn't know that.

Can you recommend any other books? There are a few in the ARRL's suggested reading list that I might get as well, like the antenna guide.

Sorry that I missed your comment. I'm not up on all the latest and greatest study guides. I got my Tech license in 1987 and my General not long after that. I haven't been very active in a number of years, but the theory doesn't change much.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    AM and SSB are related, but not identical. AM has both side-bands (the portion that carries sound) and a center carrier. SSB takes that AM signal and drops one of the side-bands and the carrier. The net result is that you can listen to AM with an SSB receiver, but you typically won't have good results trying to listen to SSB on an AM receiver.

Also, I thought that the Yaesu only does AM in the aircraft band, and only for reception. I don't think it transmits AM. But I could have that wrong, and Yaesu's manuals aren't always crystal clear about such things.
    Correction, it's an FT-60R, not 90.

I just checked the manual and it looks like it can receive AM on any frequency but only transmit FM on the 2M ham frequencies.

So to do digital on 2M i need a rig that can do SSB?

POP57

Ultimate Member
    Apr 5, 2016
    Delaware
    Correction, it's an FT-60R, not 90.

I just checked the manual and it looks like it can receive AM on any frequency but only transmit FM on the 2M ham frequencies.

SSB is considered a weak signal mode just as CW is. Moon bounce uses both. AM is most likely to receive aircraft frequencies.

JamesH

That Guy
    Oct 11, 2014
    Laurel, MD

It depends on the specific digital mode. On VHF, there are some folks doing NBEMS over FM. And packet (like APRS and other AX.25 applications, like the old-school BBSes and current Winlink) is typically done on FM. The long-range VHF stuff, like satellites and moonbounce and even VHF DXing with terrestrial propagation, all tend toward SSB with extravagant antennas.

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    The VHF contests are really cool. So many bands and modes to play with. Tower space was at a premium though so I figured out a way to use my VHF, 220, and 440 beams both horizontal and vertical by moving them with pneumatic cylinders.

View attachment 185993

View attachment 185994

View attachment 185995

View attachment 185996

View attachment 185997

You are not the first to do that. I knew someone who had the air lines running all the way out to his tower. Very cool idea, and not affected by RF.

StickShaker

Mar 3, 2016
    Montgomery
    You are not the first to do that. I knew someone who had the air lines running all the way out to his tower. Very cool idea, and not affected by RF.
    My tower was just a few feet from the house. Tiny little lines too, 3/16 OD black nylon. It didn't take much air flow and the antennas would change position in about 5 seconds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom