• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • km04

Get crackin you muggs!!!!
    Jul 12, 2010
    Harford Co.
    I can't really comment on this one except to say covering all 3 classes of license in one book with the test pools changing every 4 years is a tall order.

Just looking at the sample they provide, it looks like some good info upfront about the process of getting licensed but otherwise looks like a "teach the test" book.

I'm not sure this is going to help any more than a manual with a good glossary.

This is a good reference/overview but not really a license manual.

Like I said in the FAQ, I like the ARRL manual (which is usually what formal training teaches from) or the Gordon West license manual (and I lean towards the Gordon West manuals).

http://www.amazon.com/ARRL-Ham-Radio-License-Manual/dp/1625950136

http://www.amazon.com/Technician-2014-18-Element-License-Preparation/dp/0945053797

Double check you are getting the manual for the current pool whatever way you go.
    thanks for looking them over and giving me your opinion. I really appreciate that. I guess it's back to your original links, unless someone else has a different book they would like to recommend? I am open to any and all suggestions. I would really like to do this right....the first time.

km04

Jul 12, 2010
    Harford Co.
    Aaaannnnddddd Barnes&Nobles only has one of them on their website. Looks like I will have to swing by the store this evening to see if they have them. If not, looks like I'll be ordering from Amazon.

Kagetsu

Feb 4, 2009
    Field Day is up coming. If I remember to participate, it's with W3CWC. Except for Bill, I really don't seem to mesh well anymore. There are some advances I really don't know about because I haven't been able to engage well. My enthusiasum peaks at this time, then fades.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    It looks like we've reached the end of this thread.
    I doubt that, but i am guessing I just learned what the "." means :)
    I was saying that is the guide I am using but did not find it/me relevant to the conversation. Still learning. My pro-95 scanner picks up absolutely no ham conversations and my neighbors are wondering why I am sitting on my roof.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I doubt that, but i am guessing I just learned what the "." means :)
    I was saying that is the guide I am using but did not find it/me relevant to the conversation. Still learning. My pro-95 scanner picks up absolutely no ham conversations and my neighbors are wondering why I am sitting on my roof.

Sounds like you may have done something to turn off or attenuate the group if you're searching for them by group. In your location you should be able to hear several repeaters from inside your house easily.

km04

Jul 12, 2010
    Harford Co.
    Thanks for the link to the PDF, I have already downloaded it. I think it will give me, at the very least, a basic idea of what HAM is about. I'll probably go over it a few times before signing up for a class.

POP57

Ultimate Member
    Apr 5, 2016
    Delaware
    I watched the movie "Frequency" the other night for the first time. I noticed the radio they were using in the movie was a Heathkit SB-301 unless I read it wrong. The problem with that is the SB-301 is a receiver and requires a separate transmitter. Oh well... :)

km04

Jul 12, 2010
    Harford Co.
    I watched the movie "Frequency" the other night for the first time. I noticed the radio they were using in the movie was a Heathkit SB-301 unless I read it wrong. The problem with that is the SB-301 is a receiver and requires a separate transmitter. Oh well... :)

Come on now, since when has Hollywood EVER been bound by the truth?????????

K31

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county

So you know you need a separate transmitter to speak to dead people, how?

K31

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    He wasn't dead....it was a phenomenon that allowed him to talk to his son in the future. The Aurora must have bent the time space continuum. :)

If he wasn't dead then why didn't he just pick up the phone in the present?

POP57

Ultimate Member
    Apr 5, 2016
    Delaware
    If he wasn't dead then why didn't he just pick up the phone in the present?

At the time they were communicating, he wasn't dead. One was in the past, the other the future. You have to use your imagination. A newer example of the phenomenon would be the movie "Interstellar".

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom