• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    What is sad about that is that she got her Extra Class ticket without ever doing code.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Not commenting on her accomplishment. But the sad state of amateur radio. This from someone licensed when you needed a code test for everything except the Tech ticket. Which is why I keep my Advanced, as it shows passing a code test.

And in the days of people starting with Novice tickets, there were plenty of sub-10 year old hams doing CW on a regular basis.

JamesH

That Guy
    Oct 11, 2014
    Laurel, MD
    Amateur Radio's sad state is no fault of the removal of the code requirement. If anything, removing the code requirement is helping to keep it alive. Despite the boom in numbers of licensees, many of these are either hobbyists and DIYers or the prepper and survivalist crowd. Not a lot of these new hams are joining clubs or getting active on HF. Amateur Radio has gone from being the meta-hobby of DXers, contesters, ragchewers, and their kin to a tool in the toolbox of other interests.

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    Amateur Radio's sad state is no fault of the removal of the code requirement. If anything, removing the code requirement is helping to keep it alive. Despite the boom in numbers of licensees, many of these are either hobbyists and DIYers or the prepper and survivalist crowd. Not a lot of these new hams are joining clubs or getting active on HF. Amateur Radio has gone from being the meta-hobby of DXers, contesters, ragchewers, and their kin to a tool in the toolbox of other interests.
    Could the internet be a competitor?

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    Smartphones, Skype, texting... rules against antennas, lack of discretionary income.

CW changes make no difference.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    What is sad about that is that she got her Extra Class ticket without ever doing code.

Not commenting on her accomplishment.....
    Somehow, I came to believe you are.

The other guys are right, a segment of the hobby believes code was the ultimate filter and would just like to see the hobby circle the drain as folks die off and new people don't show interest. I'd suggest that if you didn't plow your field with a mule, it hasn't really been plowed, but we both know that isn't true anymore.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA

Yup. My local club is mostly a white old man club. A few of the wives come but they are not as interested. The founder made his kids get their ham license in order to drive 25 years ago. So they are still in it but their kids are not excited.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    There are all sorts of things contributing to the decline of ham radio. But some people don't believe ham radio is in decline because of the growing number of licensees. I was taking a different tack.

Yup. My local club is mostly a white old man club. A few of the wives come but they are not as interested. The founder made his kids get their ham license in order to drive 25 years ago. So they are still in it but their kids are not excited.

People are creating new modes of digital communication, experimenting with higher and now even extra low, frequencies, using computers to display data visually and demodulate the data, launching high altitude balloons, even satellites. Doesn't sound like decline in numbers or innovations to me.

Yeah, my wife comments about her interests having only participation from older people, but I think the truth is that in any avocation, the people who have time to attend meetings and be club officers are mostly retired, or with older offspring. (Look at gun clubs) And people may not be getting into the hobby until they are older but the numbers speak for themselves.

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    People are creating new modes of digital communication, experimenting with higher and now even extra low, frequencies, using computers to display data visually and demodulate the data, launching high altitude balloons, even satellites. Doesn't sound like decline in numbers or innovations to me.

Yeah, my wife comments about her interests having only participation from older people, but I think the truth is that in any avocation, the people who have time to attend meetings and be club officers are mostly retired, or with older offspring. (Look at gun clubs) And people may not be getting into the hobby until they are older but the numbers speak for themselves.

I didn't want to learn CW when I got my tech ticket three months ago. Hell, then, I didn't know what SDR, or QRP meant. I barely knew that PSK existed.

I did know that you could talk around the world and NVIS were two ways to have self sustaining comms in a SHTF or grid down.

It's hard to make club meetings when you're working 50 hours a week with a family and other obligations.

My point? Don't assume the new licenses don't want to learn from the been there done that crowd. I know I LOVE listening to the two most technical guys on our morning rag chew where I've become a regular.

Hell...I probably wouldn't know what a raspberry pi is that has me wanting to do some homemade electronics and SDR projects. From there, I want to continue seeing how folks treat and use amateur equipment for ad hoc networking.

So yes, by all means, let's not make it a bit easier for folks to get their licenses.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Somehow, I came to believe you are.

The other guys are right, a segment of the hobby believes code was the ultimate filter and would just like to see the hobby circle the drain as folks die off and new people don't show interest. I'd suggest that if you didn't plow your field with a mule, it hasn't really been plowed, but we both know that isn't true anymore.

I got interested in ham radio at first primarily for emergency and disaster situations. Now, I'm planning my shack and researching equipment for more than the 4 HT's I currently have.My course seems to be natural- I'mean doing a lot of listening and occasionally jumping in to chat. If there's trouble with ham radio, I suspect it's operator such as the OP who finds it sad over the accomplishments of a 10 y.o., and feels that if one isn't into CW then one isn't a true ham operator. Following other ham forums I see a similar feeling; the elitism is the killer of the hobby.. the Elmer seem to disappearing or at least condescending. Less want to play with the new kids if they're not purists.

I would prefer not to deal with CW. If the aliens attack earth and have the ability to monitor all voice comm, the CW community will save us and have my deepest thanks. Meantime, I like voice comm.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    My point was, not that taking code away destroyed Ham Radio. But I believe there should be some level of licensing that DOES require code.

In the old scheme, make up to General without code requirement, but Advanced and Extra requiring code.

Still LOTS of spectrum for people without code to use.

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    My point was, not that taking code away destroyed Ham Radio. But I believe there should be some level of licensing that DOES require code.

In the old scheme, make up to General without code requirement, but Advanced and Extra requiring code.

Still LOTS of spectrum for people without code to use.

I am in Korea, and I get a lot more spectrum to use that US hams do. I am allowed, basically, everywhere and anywhere except 17m, 20m, and 30m, with just a tech license. I have some restrictions on UHF, but honestly can't remember what, and don't care, because I never use it. The one English-only repeater we had was taken offline literally one week before I got my Korean license.

I can't imagine anyone staying interested in Ham for long around here having much less than that. That's why I'm surprised to see that US tech hams actually have a lot less bandwidth than me. Should be taking my General test at the end of October, then I'm allowed everywhere.

After the General test, I plan to work on CW little-by-little.

My biggest problem is that I like ragchew. I can exchange QSO's in Korean, and most Japanese guys can get by with QSO's in very basic English (or just use Japanese, and we understand enough for the contact), but the ragchewers in Asia (in English) are a somewhat limited bunch. Luckily, my antenna seems to be working shockingly well, and I'm talking to people pretty far out. I've hit as far West of here as Germany, and as far East of here as Texas (huge station during Asian contesting). I can get lucky and hit a few guys stateside in California on 40m on good days.

I have a ton of pics of my rig and antenna up on QRZ dot com. Do a search on HL1ZIX.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    My point was, not that taking code away destroyed Ham Radio. But I believe there should be some level of licensing that DOES require code...
    I think I do see what was not your point. Although that approach seems more mental masturbation than anything else, since those who profess to be adept at code can easily use code exclusively in dedicated band segments where they never have to hear a lid voice again. This new level requiring code would serve to do exactly what then? To what benefit to the hobby?

Everyone one talks with bemoans the fact that ham radio is declining due to attrition. Hams are aging and there isn't a lot of young blood to replace them. An "Old White Guy Sport" it is sometimes called. Young people have other interests, blah, blah, cell phones that talk & text, i-pads, laptops, hotspots... Of course they do, and making it tougher to develop an interest isn't the answer.

Everything has been dumbed down in our lifetime, why would we expect ham radio to be different? There has to be some sort of way to get them involved without making it a daunting task. Most young folks today have not seen hard times or very much in the way of large scale emergencies or outages. The concept of no internet or phone and the possible/probable need for backup commo seems ridiculous to them. They already have an internet enabled phone as a hobby, and engage strangers via websites like forums, blogs and social media sites.

What about those who have truly mastered the new digital modes, would it benefit the hobby to recognize those with this challenging and current skill set?

There are still rather exclusive license levels that require code with a minimum send/receive rate of 16-20 wpm, error free: http://wireless.fcc.gov/commoperators/index.htm?job=tn Bet there aren't many of those old T license guys out there.

I'd suggest that there should be a distinction between what one considers a significant personal accomplishment and what one would consider a minimum standard for participation.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Funny thing was, everyone was decrying the lower participation and the dying of the hobby, and the high average age, almost 25 years ago when I got licensed.

And should we just accept the dumbing down of everything? Just because it is "normal?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom