• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    Update on my HF journey. The ship hasn't left the dock (haven't made my first QSO yet). Why? Because I bought a cheap-a$$ antenna (Comet HFJ-350M). It's a coil/whip combo that connects directly to the radio. If it worked, it would have been nice for quickly going out on the deck and such.

Seems with what I saw on youtube reviews and written reviews, either it works ok or it is pure junk with the difference probably being production line (lack of) quality control. One written review was from someone who took off the heat shrink wrap and saw poor solder points and pin for the coil that was supposed to contact the center pin didn't. Once he fixed those, he said it was "ok" at best. The ONLY SWR I got that wasn't off the chart (using a Rig Expert stick) was 6M band at around 1.4. ALL others regardless of band and whip length were off the scale. The one good thing about Amazon, I can drop this off at KOLH's for a same-day refund.

So, I just ordered a Wolf River Coils "Mega Mini TIA" package. I'll lose the 80M band compared to the full coil, but my goals for now are 40, 20, 10, and 6. The extra long whip with this package is resonant without the coil for the 20M to 6M bands.

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    Yesterday was one fun day for me. The Wolf River Coils antenna worked perfectly. I jumped right into POTA hunting and have 8 QSOs logged with the farthest being in Oregon. Honestly, by chance my first HF contact was the same guy who was my first VHF contact. We had taken the tech exam the same day at the same site (different times). He was activating a park in PA near Hanover. We could hear each other (a bit rough) just long enough for the QSO and then he faded off.

motorcoachdoug

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Ok here is a question for all of you. I am getting into the world of SDR HF monitoring as I have already picked up some shortwave from central and south america using airspy with an spyverter made for HF work that attaches to the airspy. Now what I am really aiming for is aircraft making the flight across da pond but since I live in an apartment space is something that I have to take into consideration plus keep it hidden if I can from the XYZ who does not like my 2 antennas on the balcony to begin with. I am running a 700/800 Yagi and a discone antenna right now. What I want is an antenna for the HF work. Any good ideas? yes I am aware of the loop antenna but I need parts to build one and or get one that will not break the bank. So what do you think that might work????

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Ok here is a question for all of you. I am getting into the world of SDR HF monitoring as I have already picked up some shortwave from central and south america using airspy with an spyverter made for HF work that attaches to the airspy. Now what I am really aiming for is aircraft making the flight across da pond but since I live in an apartment space is something that I have to take into consideration plus keep it hidden if I can from the XYZ who does not like my 2 antennas on the balcony to begin with. I am running a 700/800 Yagi and a discone antenna right now. What I want is an antenna for the HF work. Any good ideas? yes I am aware of the loop antenna but I need parts to build one and or get one that will not break the bank. So what do you think that might work????
    XYL? First, I think you might want to use an online SDR service like WebSDR (free BTW) and see how active trans-oceanic flight HF traffic is. I seem to recall that airlines just use that as a backup now. Maybe one of MDS's pilots can chime in.

Alpha Antenna has some stealthy designs including something called the "HOA buster" if you have access to a rain downspout. I've also seen some people use their mobile offering as a balcony mounted antenna. Not sure what your budget is. There are several DIY videos on building your own loop antenna.

Edit:

You also might want to try this site to see how much there is to listen to out there HF-wise:

Last edited:

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Ham Exams next week:

Tuesday, November 1, 2022
    5:45 PM

American Legion Post 175,
    832 Manhattan Beach Rd
    Severna Park, MD

Administered by Laurel VEC & Maryland Mobileers.

Walk-Ins are OK. Pre-registration is appreciated (saves ALL of us time when you get there), but is NOT required.

Pre-registration info:
    https://sites.google.com/view/mmarcveteam/pre-registration

Note that the FCC is now charging a $35.00 license fee. We do NOT collect the fee at the exam, we will send successful exam results to the FCC for the candidate and they will have 10 days to pay through the FCC site. This fee does not apply to upgrades (Tech-to-Gen, Gen-to-AE).

Bigfoot21075

Ultimate Member
    Nov 3, 2008
    Elkridge, MD
    XYL? First, I think you might want to use an online SDR service like WebSDR (free BTW) and see how active trans-oceanic flight HF traffic is. I seem to recall that airlines just use that as a backup now. Maybe one of MDS's pilots can chime in.

Alpha Antenna has some stealthy designs including something called the "HOA buster" if you have access to a rain downspout. I've also seen some people use their mobile offering as a balcony mounted antenna. Not sure what your budget is. There are several DIY videos on building your own loop antenna.

Edit:

You also might want to try this site to see how much there is to listen to out there HF-wise:

I second this. I am using the Alpha 6-80 meter EFHW 34 foot J-Pole Jr strung between 2 trees and I have had AMAZING results even in low solar times. I can easily get Russia, Italy, Germany and so on 20m.

I am using a Yaesu FTDX 101D at this point, but most of my contacts were made with my Kenwood TS 440.

It is a super stealthy, easy to set up no maintenance antenna.

chale127

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2008
    Brooklyn, MD
    Ham Exams next week:

Tuesday, November 1, 2022
    5:45 PM

American Legion Post 175,
    832 Manhattan Beach Rd
    Severna Park, MD

Administered by Laurel VEC & Maryland Mobileers.

Walk-Ins are OK. Pre-registration is appreciated (saves ALL of us time when you get there), but is NOT required.

Pre-registration info:
    https://sites.google.com/view/mmarcveteam/pre-registration

Note that the FCC is now charging a $35.00 license fee. We do NOT collect the fee at the exam, we will send successful exam results to the FCC for the candidate and they will have 10 days to pay through the FCC site. This fee does not apply to upgrades (Tech-to-Gen, Gen-to-AE).
    or come see me as a VE on the 12th with AARC
    www.w3vpr.org

chale127

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2008
    Brooklyn, MD

Edit:

this, although any apartment antenna is a compromise is probably your best bet

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    Me on top of Starr Peak CO, 10,500 elevation.
    I was hitting repeaters 45+ miles away with my 5w Yaesu HT.
    I tried 30 repeaters and only got 1 call back. I'm glad I didn't need the radio for an emergency.

Attachments

• star-peak-1.jpg
      star-peak-1.jpg
      377.6 KB · Views: 86

Bigfoot21075

Ultimate Member
    Nov 3, 2008
    Elkridge, MD
    Me on top of Starr Peak CO, 10,500 elevation.
    I was hitting repeaters 45+ miles away with my 5w Yaesu HT.
    I tried 30 repeaters and only got 1 call back. I'm glad I didn't need the radio for an emergency.
    If you are sending a message for test, you will get less call backs then if you are sending a message for distress....

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    Two bills submitted to House of Representatives.

One overrides HOA restrictions on amateur radio antennas with some caveats/requirements which seem fine to me.

The other urges the FCC to replace digital baud limitations with bandwidth limitations and will force the FCC to do so if the FCC doesn't do it on its own (which it already has the authority to do it).

Kagetsu

Feb 4, 2009
    Trying to install 50w mobile. Should I be looking for a way to get directly to the battery or maybe I can find power access already in the cabin?

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    It is normally recommended to go straight to the battery, but that isn't always the best plan with newer vehicles.

Some vehicles have electronic monitoring and hooking something directly to the battery skews their analysis of current draw.

Many vehicles have high-current connections available at their fuse box.

Your best bet is to read the manual or check with the dealership about hooking up auxiliary items.

See what your 50 watt radio draws during transmit and use that figure to reference power connections. A 10-12 amp connection should be fine for a 50 watt radio, but double check YOUR radio's power requirements.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Or searching Youtube for what others with the same make and model have done. You may want to check on things as Ed mentioned after you see the Youtube suggestions.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Trying to install 50w mobile. Should I be looking for a way to get directly to the battery or maybe I can find power access already in the cabin?

It's generally recommended you go directly to the battery.

If you can't find a path through the firewall, check vehicle specific forums and YouTube videos of others who own the same vehicle and how they routed the power. Even if it's not amateur radio specific. I had to do just this.

Last edited:

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    Has anyone joined the Long Island CW club?

I'm struggling to learn #CW on my own and thought a more structured program would help move things along faster.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom