• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    Has anyone here used an Elercraft KX2? I'm thinking of getting one with the 100 watt amp to use as both a portable QRP rig and a base station in my shack.

This is funny. I just started researching these this past week. A ham on these boards, vette97, uses one, primarily for CW. They look pretty steep in price plus you have to buy several accessories.

My goal is to do some CW when the wife and I go camping. I really don't need an all-mode transceiver.

I think I'm going to focus on CW and get a Mountain Topper:
    https://www.lnrprecision.com/mountain-toppers/

They have a 3 band QRP transceiver that starts at $350. You can use a 9-volt (for 3 watts) battery or bring your own 12 volt for 5 watts. A few SOTA hams I follow on Twitter use this with great success.

Now for me to learn CW. :rolleyes:

cms1528

Feb 26, 2013
    The elecraft K4 is around the corner for release soon.

Not to change the subject but does anyone use the heil Pro 7 headset? They are big bucks but are they worth it? They don't look like they would be too comfortable over log use, seems like they are too heavy. I've never held a set in my hands so I just don't know.

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    The price of the KX2 shack in a bag kit they have plus the amp is what I would pay for a Yaesu 991 or Icom 7300 plus all the fixings. My friend who is an AE has one and said if he had to get rid of all his radios but one he would keep his KX2.

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    I went in Ham Radio Outlet this morning empty handed and came out with a Yaesu FTM-400XDR and a Gap Titan DX antenna.

I think I'm going to go with the Icom 7300 base station for now and acquire a KX2 in the spring when I can start going up in the mountains again.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I went in Ham Radio Outlet this morning empty handed and came out with a Yaesu FTM-400XDR and a Gap Titan DX antenna.

I think I'm going to go with the Icom 7300 base station for now and acquire a KX2 in the spring when I can start going up in the mountains again.

Dude you are ALL IN!

You are going to like the FTM400. Buy the programming cable and purchase the RT Systems software. Well worth the $25. https://www.rtsystemsinc.com

I’m trying to setup an HF antenna in my attic tonight and decide on the FT991 or the 450. I might try to take the general this Sunday if I can cram in some more study time tonight and tomorrow.

KJackson

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 3, 2017
    Carroll County
    I was hoping to stop by on my way to work later today so that I could take my Technician Class test, but alas, family obligations have reared their head.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Heading out shortly myself. I'll have an OD ball cap with an ArfCom ham patch on it.

Ed sorry I missed you. I decided to take one more practice test and spend a few more minutes studying during breakfast before hitting the road. I got there around 0945 and meandered my way through the tailgaters. Then I headed over to the testing area at 10:30 and the VE’s had already packed up and left.

So I was 0-2 as for show goals today.

I guess I managed to grab some cables and connectors for my upcoming antenna installation so not all bad.

I was hoping to stop by on my way to work later today so that I could take my Technician Class test, but alas, family obligations have reared their head.

We’ll if your goal was to take the test this afternoon you would have been disappointed. Like I noted above I think the testing monitors wrapped up before 9:30.

I’m going to look online and signup for the next test one evening during the upcoming two weeks.

Arcamm

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Ed sorry I missed you. I decided to take one more practice test and spend a few more minutes studying during breakfast before hitting the road. I got there around 0945 and meandered my way through the tailgaters. Then I headed over to the testing area at 10:30 and the VE’s had already packed up and left.

So I was 0-2 as for show goals today.

I guess I managed to grab some cables and connectors for my upcoming antenna installation so not all bad.

We’ll if your goal was to take the test this afternoon you would have been disappointed. Like I noted above I think the testing monitors wrapped up before 9:30.

I’m going to look online and signup for the next test one evening during the upcoming two weeks.

10;30? I must have just missed you. I was the short guy wearing a long face.

Looks like there is nothing close until the 19th.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    10;30? I must have just missed you. I was the short guy wearing a long face.

Looks like there is nothing close until the 19th.

Yea I was cramming this week because work schedule has been quite hectic. I didn’t think I was as prepared as I would like to be. But I was a little disappointed too.

Arcamm

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Yea I was cramming this week because work schedule has been quite hectic. I didn’t think I was as prepared as I would like to be. But I was a little disappointed too.

Usually I don't have time on the weekends, but the Wifie had to work today, I just fished "Pass your Amateur Radio Tech Class Test" this week, and have been scoring 30+ on HamStudy.org. I was psyched for today.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    ****EDIT****
    VERY sorry....Wrong date shown below - ARRL lists the 29th, our club calendar lists the 22nd. I just got with our Team Leader to clear it up and he verifies that it is Tuesday, October 22nd.

Sorry I missed you guys too...looks like I wore my MD Shooters shirt for nothing.

There is a relatively local test this weekend, Oct 12, at the Davidsonville Club clubhouse, near where Central Avenue crosses US-301.
    Then Laurel on the 19th.
    Then Linthicum on the 29th 22nd (I'm working that one).

http://www.arrl.org/find-an-amateur-radio-license-exam-session

Last edited:

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Sorry I missed you guys too...looks like I wore my MD Shooters shirt for nothing.

There is a relatively local test this weekend, Oct 12, at the Davidsonville Club clubhouse, near where Central Avenue crosses US-301.

Then Laurel on the 19th.

Then Linthicum on the 29th (I'm working that one).

http://www.arrl.org/find-an-amateur-radio-license-exam-session

Thanks. I might have to do Tuesday 10/27 due to schedule conflicts the next two weekends. That should give me plenty time to study. I seem to have difficulty remembering the nuances of which modes and license classes can operate on which band. That section usually accounts for 2-3 wrong answers on my practice tests.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    for those of you into building antennas I'm going to recommend this little Chinese Antenna Analyzer. I'm in the process of putting up an HF wire antenna in my attic and I really don't have enough length to stretch out the total needed wire length so I'm going to try several bent configurations and see which works best. This will probably also be useful if and when I decide to install the vertical dual band antenna on the roof.

The seem to range from $50-70 with a built in rechargeable battery. (If you buy one make sure it does have a battery, as they sell models which do not) Here is the Ebay Link.

a65606157899450524fb6043af912f66.jpg

Hers is a review on Hackaday.com and the video link really shows how powerful this thing is. That same guy has a number of videos on YouTube showing how to use the NanoVNA, including one to measure insertion loss of components and cables too.

I went ahead and downloaded the PC interface which was much easier to use than using the touch screen. This shot is testing SWR on the home made copper tubing J-Pole I built a while ago.

0ecc86ed3da8773a041c8cda6ff00bfb.jpg

Here is a shot checking the HT antenna I mounted on my car roof. I've got the display range set from 140Mhz to 460Mhz. Also couldn't help 3D Printing a case for the thing too.

a2fb4612a495c300c96243660a4534f9.jpg

If anyone wants to borrow this, just msg me. It's going to be sitting on the Radio Parts box most of the time.

KJackson

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 3, 2017
    Carroll County
    Count your blessings, I got there just after 10am to take my Tech test and they were already closed up. I'm bummed.....:kicknuts:

Glad I didn't stop by in the rain, then. I had even emailed the contact point about the show to find out the test schedule. Here is what I sent:

I am interested in stopping by CARAfest to take my Technician level exam and had a question about the schedule. Are there particular times during the day that the exams are given or can you just drop by at any time to take one?

and their reply:

The VE's will begin exams by 0900. The session will go until no one else comes in. So with that said come early so you dont miss out.

I guess I will try to hit one of the tests being offered in Linthicum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom