Always remember your 1st - Springfield that is.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Another score from an estate. 1928 Springfield 03 in 30-'06. Aside from a chip out of the stock by the butt-plate (looks much brighter in the pic than in person), I'd say it's in pretty decent shape for it's age.

Have also had the chance to shoot it before purchase, thoroughly enjoyed it! My 1st Springfield, and I think I picked a good one. Bore/rifling is strong and sharp, and performed as I'd expect.

Attachments

• IMG_5140.jpg
      IMG_5140.jpg
      182.1 KB · Views: 91
    • IMG_5138.jpg
      IMG_5138.jpg
      406.8 KB · Views: 99
    • IMG_5137.jpg
      IMG_5137.jpg
      410.3 KB · Views: 98
    • IMG_5136.jpg
      IMG_5136.jpg
      439.9 KB · Views: 97
    • IMG_5135.jpg
      IMG_5135.jpg
      354.4 KB · Views: 99
    • IMG_5134.jpg
      IMG_5134.jpg
      429.9 KB · Views: 92
    • IMG_5133.jpg
      IMG_5133.jpg
      497.7 KB · Views: 98
    • IMG_5132.jpg
      IMG_5132.jpg
      451.9 KB · Views: 92
    • IMG_5131.jpg
      IMG_5131.jpg
      494.1 KB · Views: 84
    • IMG_5130.jpg
      IMG_5130.jpg
      386.2 KB · Views: 87

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    And the ugly part, looks much brighter in the pic than in person

Attachments

• IMG_5139.jpg
      IMG_5139.jpg
      303.1 KB · Views: 73

SmokeEaterPilot

Jun 3, 2011
    Very nice pick up. These are usually known as 1903 hybrids.

The barrel is likely original. I believe that’s actually a Rock Island receiver.

In the late 1920s. RIA sent left over receivers to SA to be completed into rifles. There were three variations of receivers sent in different stages of completion.

Blank receivers - SA put their nomenclature and SN on to be completed. (In the 1.29 +/- million range)

RIA marked receivers with the last RIA SN ranges. (Usually ranging from 400k-400k SN range)

RIA marked nomenclature but no SN. SA would simply put their SN on it. It would be marked RIA with a SN range close to yours.

I don’t have the exact ranges but those are rough observations.

Congrats again!

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    My first Springfield was a 1903 MkI, bought from a LGS at the then outlandish price of $800. Back in the day when DCM purchases were limited to once in a lifetime (no kidding), before the flood of ex Greek, Danish, etc imports. Only recently have we climbed back up to were we were 30 plus years ago. And that's with the help of heavily devalued greenbacks.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    My first Springfield was a Remington 1903A3...still have it. At one time I had more than two dozen '03s of various models including one with a 25-round box magazine and drilled and tapped for the Warner-Swazey scope. I ended up up selling it to a fellow who had the scope and mount. I also had one of the very few converted to .45 ACP at Springfield Armory at the direction of Brophy. A Rock Island Arsenal '03 had a bad barrel...at a gun show I sold it to a guy who had a NOS RIA barrel...he wanted the rifle because his dad carried a RIA '03 on Guadalcanal. I was happy to help in honoring his dad in that regard.

Now I'm down to only a few '03s...that first Remington...several Smith-Corona '03A3 rifles which I think are put together better than Remington did during production...an all RIA 1903 including a RIA bayonet and an original 1903A1.

I love shooting the M1 Garand...but I love collecting 1903s. The variety and expanse of models is probably exceeded only by the M1 Carbine.

Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel
    Beautiful rifle, OP.

I still have my first 1903, which I bought while I was in highschool in 2010 - one of my first rifles. It's a 400k Springfield with its original September 1910 barrel, which shows some wear but is still shiny. It was rebuilt at some point and has a Mark 1 stock that is beat to hell. I love that gun. Being a fairly early rifle, I always wonder where it could have been. The Banana Wars, Mexico...

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Mine. Remington 1903A3. She shoots fantastic. Sadly someone drilled and tapped it (though a good job there)....and cut the barrel back 2". I was able to silver solder on a front sight and get it nice and straight. As well as it shoots, even though it will not be correct, I am thinking I am going to slap it in a proper stock, rather than the sportized one. She won't be able to take a bayonet properly, probably. However, it should fit in the stock and fore end without needing to cut the fore end. The front sight will just sit very, very close to the end cap/bayonet lug. So it isn't going to look exactly right, but I think it'll actually look okay. At worst I can cut and reshape the fore end of the stock to the proper set back (and then it could take a bayonet and look more correct, though 2" short). I am a little tempted to replace the barrel, but again, it shoots fantastic. It'll group in to about 2MOA (1") at 50yds with Hornady 150gr FMJBT handloads. And my iron sight shooting is nothing to write home about.

They are just fantastic rifles.

OP, you have a nice one there!

Attachments

• 19032.jpg
      19032.jpg
      265.7 KB · Views: 46

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Very nice! I have an A3 but I still need a 03
    Not only did I have a first Springfield experience, but I had a first 30 06 experience.

I was at Duffy's range with my buddy, Bruce. He had bought a Ruger GP100 and a Mini 14. I had my Remington BDL Speedmaster Deluxe. There was one other older guy there. He had an 03 A3 in 30 06.

Needless to say, when I got my next rifle, I wanted it to be a 30 06. I never got the Springfield, but I did get a sweet Winchester Model 70.

What I thought was cool about that 03 was the peep sight and that I could hit water jugs at 100+ yards. It blew my 24 year old mind back then.

Last edited:

U.S.SFC_RET

Ultimate Member
    Dec 8, 2005
    Another score from an estate. 1928 Springfield 03 in 30-'06. Aside from a chip out of the stock by the butt-plate (looks much brighter in the pic than in person), I'd say it's in pretty decent shape for it's age.

Have also had the chance to shoot it before purchase, thoroughly enjoyed it! My 1st Springfield, and I think I picked a good one. Bore/rifling is strong and sharp, and performed as I'd expect.
    You hit one out of the park with that 1903A3

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Thank you, hoping to stretch its legs soon when scheduling permits. 200 was good for a initial test fire and making acquaintance, but I want to do some 5/600 yard runs and see if my aging eyes can do the rifle justice.

emerald

Ultimate Member
    Apr 25, 2015
    I have to agree with your sentiment. Not vintage, but first Springfield is my M1A, and I'll certainly never forget it, or part with it.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    You hit one out of the park with that 1903A3
    IMG_6368.jpeg
    IMG_6370.jpeg
    IMG_6369.jpeg
    IMG_6367.jpeg

I’m still deciphering all the nuances, but from the data I’m looking at - visually this one appears to be in a 2 screw no finger groove 03 stock, which seems to be correct for a 1928 production date.

*edit - Appears that this IS in an A3 straight 2 screw, no groove, stock that got around by the markings. (I’m still learning…)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom