• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Stevie Boy

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Naples, FL and Ocean Pines, MD
    We have a aluminum jon boat that has a small "gash" in the bottom. Thew "gash" looks to be no more than an inch long. Ideally, we'd like to get it welded up as a permanent repair. Potential problem is that it's located directly under the center seat and therefore, presumably, there's flotation foam on the inderside of the hole.

Can it be repaired? Anyone know of a welder that would do this kind of work? The boat is located in the Laurel/Bowie area.

Open to suggestions. Well meaning ones anyway. :)

Edit: Having a problem posting a pic. Will keep trying.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Should have mentioned, seat is permanently attached to the boat so no easy way to remove the foam. But, thanks for the suggestion. Looks promising otherwise.

The stuff on a jon boat I previously worked on was pop-riveted in. I just had to drill out any rivets pop a new one in when finished. I also flattened both sides afterward using a person on one side with a auto body "iron" and me on the other with a hammer.

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    Yeah, shouldn't be a huge problem to fix. I do a couple a year for folks. Foam should be a couple inches up in the seat so it doesn't risk fuel contamination from a leaking tank. Fire risk is actually pretty low. I did one a couple years ago that the PO had used spray foam under the floor. Guy whacked a rock up the Monocacy and tore a nice gash on the front corner. Pried the gash open, dug out some foam, pinched it shut and it welded up fine even with the foam weeping water.

Another one from a couple years ago. Had to work overhead in the gravel so it was a little ugly but solid and held water.
    IMG_20140726_092053_zpsvmihk7mk.jpg

IMG_20140727_112809_zpsdnkxjwnj.jpg

Mine showing some of the fun I've had building it.
    http://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=8385

If you want to run up to Hagerstown I can fix it.

madmantrapper

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2009
    Carroll County
    I fixed one 20 years ago with a two part epoxy. The epoxy was a material that you tore off a huck and kneaded it in you fingers til the color was consistant. It was like a thick putty. Smashed to both side of tare. It is still holding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom