• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    1911s are not for beginners. Get the Glock 19, some mags, and a Sub2K and run with it. When you get more comfortable with firearms, get a 1911.

Jim

Says who?
    We've been giving them to our armed forces for 100 years, and they have been on the civilian market much longer. Remember this gun was based on the 1902. Now back before the internet, gun magazines, gun TV, cell phones, etc...people did just fine with these guns with just a 1 page instruction sheet.
    They are simple guns that are just fine for beginners.
    Now I'm not saying a STI TruBor would be a good gun to start out on but a standard 1911, or 1911a1 would be just fine.
    They only get complicated when people who don't know what their doing start monkeying around inside of them.

The only reason I haven't suggested the 1911 to the OP is he hasn't mentioned which 1911 it is. If it's a loaded model that hasn't been messed with that wins hands down.
    If it's their copy of the GI model that needs sights, safety, and a few other things before I would want to use it for HD then I would have to go with the GLOCK.
    The 26 is a small gun and will be much harder to shoot fast and accurately than a larger pistol be it a GLOCK 19, or a 1911 but with practice it can be done.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    pop-gunner, I disagree with you. When I started with firearms almost every gun writer suggested a revolver for a novice. I still think a K frame S&W 4" .38 Special is the best beginners gun.

My 1983 or 1984 Colt 1911 came with more than a one page instruction sheet.

I would not buy a small Glock, that is a carry gun. For home or range use, a Glock 19 or S&W M&P would be the best.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Says who?
    We've been giving them to our armed forces for 100 years, and they have been on the civilian market much longer. Remember this gun was based on the 1902. Now back before the internet, gun magazines, gun TV, cell phones, etc...people did just fine with these guns with just a 1 page instruction sheet.
    They are simple guns that are just fine for beginners.

I will respectfully disagree. My Kimber and my ParaOrdnance both came with booklets. Taking either down for cleaning requires three hands, safety glasses, and a bushing wrench. The Glock can be taken down with no tools and is a LOT simpler to put back together. If the OP is uncomfortable keeping a round in the chamber with the XD, I don't think he'll be thrilled carrying cocked and locked.

Jim

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Thanks for the replies, but you guys aren't making it easier. The 1911 in question is a Springfield, but I don't know which one yet. I never wanted a manual safety, but I still feel uncomfortable keeping the XD chambered all the time. I have to move the gun too many times, it's not like it goes in a holster and I carry it around all day. So, manual safety might be the solution here. However, the Glock and XD don't have external hammers, and to be honest, having never owned a gun like that, I don't know to manipulate them, so I'm more comfortable with the idea of the Glock, maybe G19 instead? but then why not the 26 with different mags to suit.
    Geez, I guess I do need both, but that ain't happening.

How much firearm training have you had?

pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    I will respectfully disagree. My Kimber and my ParaOrdnance both came with booklets. Taking either down for cleaning requires three hands, safety glasses, and a bushing wrench. The Glock can be taken down with no tools and is a LOT simpler to put back together. If the OP is uncomfortable keeping a round in the chamber with the XD, I don't think he'll be thrilled carrying cocked and locked.

Jim

Wonder why you're having so much trouble.
    Tell me what you're having trouble with and maybe we can make it easier for you.
    The 1911 can be completely taken apart using it's own components.
    The GLOCK cannot.
    The 1911 has 1 more safety than the XD does.

pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    pop-gunner, I disagree with you. When I started with firearms almost every gun writer suggested a revolver for a novice. I still think a K frame S&W 4" .38 Special is the best beginners gun.

My 1983 or 1984 Colt 1911 came with more than a one page instruction sheet.

I would not buy a small Glock, that is a carry gun. For home or range use, a Glock 19 or S&W M&P would be the best.

The 1 page instruction sheet was in reference to what they shipped with in the early 1900s.
    Maybe people were brighter back then as we seem to need a bunch more instruction today.

I'm not debating the best beginners gun here. I'm only talking about an unknown 1911 and a GLOCK 26.
    Those are the two guns the OP asked about.
    The 1911 is not a complicated gun either in manipulation or design.
    My only point.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Range use = 1911
    CC = Glock 26

Both are fine for HD though the G26 may hurt your accuracy if you have big hands.

My preference is Glocks for HD, though it took a long time for them to grow on me. The simplicity and reliability of a revolver or striker-fired design makes operating them easier for the other people in my house who aren't as comfortable around pistols as I am. 1911s definitely aren't difficult guns to learn how to handle, but it's amazing what a little stress will do to your ability to remember to work the safety (or put it back ON when required).

The Glock 17 is my all-around favorite. Small enough to CC but big enough that I can get a good grip on it. I am as accurate with my tiny G26 though, it just feels awkward until you get used to your pinky hanging out there like a British tea-drinker.

IF you like 1911s and want a small weapon that solves the "pinky problem", check out the Colt Mustang or the Sig P238. Here's the extended 7 round mag that fits both. True these weapons are 380 cal. but you can use the Buffalo Bore .380 +P in either 100 gr. flat nose or the hollow point.

Attachments

• 380 mag 001.jpg
      380 mag 001.jpg
      45.4 KB · Views: 114

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Wonder why you're having so much trouble.
    Tell me what you're having trouble with and maybe we can make it easier for you.
    The 1911 can be completely taken apart using it's own components.
    The GLOCK cannot.
    The 1911 has 1 more safety than the XD does.

The Glock can be field stripped without tools, I've done it. I have to use a bushing wrench on both of my current 1911s and every one I've owned before. I'd love to see how you field strip a 1911 and put it back together again without the bushing wrench. Thanks!

Jim

pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    Jim,
    I didn't say field stripped, I said taken apart. The 1911 can be disassembled with no tools whatsoever. Simply what's in your holster.
    .45scp case rim removes the grip screws, firing pin doubles as a pin punch, etc...
    It is not a complicated design.
    You cannot do this with the glock.

Do your 1911s have full length guide rods in them?

mike_in_md

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2008
    Howard County
    I'm selling my XD9 because I really want a smaller gun. It's only used for home defense, and range practice. I only carry around the house so I wanted something that I could slip in my back pocket.

I feel like my heart is saying Glock and my brain is saying 1911.

When having an argument between the heart and the brain about comfort in your back pocket, listen to the ass. :D

You said your main reason for this decision is that you want something that will be comfortable in your back pocket to carry around the house. Your ass will be happier with a Ruger LCP or something similar.

For the range, I'd advice a 1911 or keep the XD9. You will not find a one gun fits all. That's why there are so many choices.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Jim,
    I didn't say field stripped, I said taken apart. The 1911 can be disassembled with no tools whatsoever. Simply what's in your holster.
    .45scp case rim removes the grip screws, firing pin doubles as a pin punch, etc...
    It is not a complicated design.
    You cannot do this with the glock.

Do your 1911s have full length guide rods in them?

Both of my current 1911s have full length guide rods in them, neither are in 45 ACP. One of them has a 22# recoil spring. The grip screws on both need an Allen wrench to remove.

My Colt 1991A1 Compact did not have a FLGR, but I used a bushing wrench anyway as I don't like parts flying all over the place.

And if you're taking a Glock apart, you're doing something wrong :D

BTW, I am not a Glock fan, I sold my Glock 35 to purchase another 1911.

Jim

pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    I sure hope the OP isn't sticking any of these guns in his back pocket and walking around the house.
    The 1911 safety is on the left side and if he sticks it in his back pocket sooner or later he will flip the lever and shoot himself in the ass.
    The GLOCK same thing but sans the lever.
    LCP needs to go in a pocket holster at least.
    If you want to just stick something in your pocket get a J frame.

nomo613

Nov 24, 2010
    pikesville
    1911 1911 1911 1911 1911 1911 1911 1911 1911 1911 1911 1911 1911 1911 1911 1911 1911 1911 1911 1911 1911 1911 1911 1911 1911 1911 1911 1911 1911 1911 1911 1911 1911 1911 1911 1911 1911 1911 1911 1911 1911 1911 1911 1911 1911 1911 1911 1911

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Comotion357

Latest threads

Top Bottom