• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CobraMike

Back in Black
    Mar 30, 2008
    Frederick
    Just installed new lowering springs, caster/camber plates, and a bumpsteer kit in the cobra today. Now I'm in need of a good alignment. Anyone have a recomendation on where I should go?

mancheechee

Daily Trigger
    Jul 22, 2010
    Frederick
    Well, Don Leonard in Mt. Airy specializes in Ford and classic cars. He operates a shop in a large garage on his home property. He's really good with custom work. I once saw a $140k classic muscle car in his garage. You know he's gotta be good if some one drops off a car like that. And don't be surprised if you see other muscle cars sitting in the garage...that's where alot of folks go for good custom work. You'll have to search him out cuz...I can't find his number...been awhile I drive imports now.

And believe it or not...try tires plus across from walmart (guilford dr). The mechs there are quite descent and the manager Sergio is an honest hard working man. If he can do the custom alignment work there, will not cheat you. Just charge you fair market price. They have good coupons too.

Butler Tires is another good 'ol boys shop. Been around for along time. They specialize in tires and alignments.

Good luck finding an honest mech around these days. My bud lost his timing and two shops all quoted him a new engine saying, it's not repairable... They won't even bother working on an engine. Ended up getting it worked on by a guy as a side job and it runs fine now.

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    I've done business with Tire World out off of Guilford drive and like Tony a lot. Fair, reasonable prices and honest.

Of late, because they are more convenient to the house and our typical routes/places we need to be, we've taken all of our tire/non-warranty work to Mr. Tire on East Street. Justin and the lead tech Pedro are stand up guys. I have a young driver and am having her start to take responsibility for the car maintenance and they did a wonderful job of explaining to her what needed to be done and not intimidating her. My mother-in-law (in her 70s and recently widowed) also feels very comfortable there....

Neither of them drives a cobra but we've sent a lot of our business to Mr. Tire and have been very happy with their prices, their approach, their ability to keep to their schedule (I HATE WAITING) and they stand behind their work.

In my opinion, it's worth at least a stop by to get a feel for whether or not they'd be the right shop for you.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Make sure you get a 4 wheel alignment. If the rear wheels are off - the front ones will be too, as it references using the rear wheels.

Sometimes with loweing a car your alignment suffers. Most shop use specs that are in a book, or a database in the aligment computer. When you lower or chop your ride - the factory specs no longer applies. You may want to find a shop that specalizes in mods, and hot rods -they probably will know how to compensate for the changes in the suspension & steering.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Good luck finding an honest mech around these days. My bud lost his timing and two shops all quoted him a new engine saying, it's not repairable... They won't even bother working on an engine. Ended up getting it worked on by a guy as a side job and it runs fine now.
    As a mechanic engine work esp. timing related is risky because most vehicles which have timing issues also have been neglected in other ways and you're essentially replacing one worn part and praying it will run like new. I've done 15 timing belts in my career of one year so far and still don't feel comfortable with it. But another possible issue is if you have an interference engine as is typically found on Japanese cars. In this engine design the timing belt is crucial because if it slips or breaks then the pistons and valves meet usually destroying the cylinder heads. For reference imagine a shotgun firing with the action open. Loud, expensive, destructive, and bad things happen. That's why most mechanics don't do major engine repair.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Make sure you get a 4 wheel alignment. If the rear wheels are off - the front ones will be too, as it references using the rear wheels.

Sometimes with loweing a car your alignment suffers. Most shop use specs that are in a book, or a database in the aligment computer. When you lower or chop your ride - the factory specs no longer applies. You may want to find a shop that specalizes in mods, and hot rods -they probably will know how to compensate for the changes in the suspension & steering.

I'd like to know how you adjust the alignment on the solid rear axle. :rolleyes:

A shop would just check the thrust to make sure all 4 tires are square.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    You can have a bent rear axle, or even a loose bad bearing - that will throw the front angles off, if there not remedied first.

There are some actual alignment plates that can be used in some solid axle set ups.

Im also used to Euro cars with full adjustable rear angles. But the point is make sure the rear of the car is square - or the front will be off.

camotruck

Oct 22, 2011
    Western MD
    I've done business with Tire World out off of Guilford drive and like Tony a lot. Fair, reasonable prices and honest.

Of late, because they are more convenient to the house and our typical routes/places we need to be, we've taken all of our tire/non-warranty work to Mr. Tire on East Street. Justin and the lead tech Pedro are stand up guys. I have a young driver and am having her start to take responsibility for the car maintenance and they did a wonderful job of explaining to her what needed to be done and not intimidating her. My mother-in-law (in her 70s and recently widowed) also feels very comfortable there....

Neither of them drives a cobra but we've sent a lot of our business to Mr. Tire and have been very happy with their prices, their approach, their ability to keep to their schedule (I HATE WAITING) and they stand behind their work.

In my opinion, it's worth at least a stop by to get a feel for whether or not they'd be the right shop for you.

I also know Tony. I have two friends in the buisness and I still go see tony when I need work done that I can't do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom