• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • USCG_Dave

Aug 14, 2022
    Abingdon
    Hello I am curious as to if anyone knows how to purchase a AK variant rifle in the ridiculous state? I think the saying goes something like, When there’s a will, there’s a way! What are some of your ideas on ways around Marylands AK rifle restrictions? If I were to find someone selling with a bill of sale, I would theoretically be legal, as long as I didn’t transport into MD right?

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    1663148235726.png

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I believe you can buy them in 5.56/.223. I saw one in a store yesterday.

USCG_Dave

Aug 14, 2022
    Abingdon
    I know you can buy a AK pistol variant but not positive on the rifle laws. If anyone can chime in and educate me, I’m open ears? Also curious if I were to buy a preban AK if that’s legal in MD

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I know you can buy a AK pistol variant but not positive on the rifle laws. If anyone can chime in and educate me, I’m open ears? Also curious if I were to buy a preban AK if that’s legal in MD
    AFAIK, you can not buy a pre ban AK47 rifle in Md. Not in 7.62 anyways. You can buy AK pistols and convert into SBRs though. That's what a lot of people are doing.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    Yes you can buy an AK pistol, although if you want to brace it in advance of the SBR/brace rule, it may not make 29" OAL, so in the future, brace may not be viable. If you are looking for a way to lighten your bank account, you can also still buy a full auto Kalashnikov... although magazines will have to be purchased out of state.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Last week at the range I saw an AK-47 in 5,56. It was made in Serbia. He purchased at a Rockville gun store.
    Probably United Guns. I was in there the other day picking up a G17 frame and noticed one hanging on the wall.

Waingro

Apr 4, 2018
    Last week at the range I saw an AK-47 in 5,56. It was made in Serbia. He purchased at a Rockville gun store.
    Zastava M90. Supposed to be pretty solid from what I've read. Looking to pick one up soon to scratch the 5.56 ak itch. 5.45 aks are good to go but prices on them have gotten silly and no more cheap ammo for them

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    That list is not legally binding at all. Consult your FFL
    Nothing is legally binding when the state or ATF can change its mind at will, or in the next legislative session.

Cmdr_Cupcake

Apr 29, 2022
    Near The Airport
    5.56 AKs are around in the shops. The only 7.62 AKs you will find are the pistols but conversions and modifications are widely available. There are also larger caliber .308 AKs floating around like the new Zastava but I don't see many.

Sirex