• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • guzma393

Jan 15, 2020
    Severn, MD
    You could also try an AR complete upper in 7.62x39 that readily slaps on to your existing lower. Buy AR x39 specific mags and enjoy the familiarity and modularity of the AR platform. Personally, I have a Clinton-era ban AR Colt sporter in 7.62x39 and it shoots and handles great.

I recently unbubba'ed a norinco sporter sks, and it shoots and handles great. Personally, I prefer mag fed rifles more and I wasn't a big fan of mag fed SKS' to begin with, so i just treat it as an occasional plinker.

Since it's in the topic of discussion, I also have a mini-30 that shoots okay after developing handloads for it. It complements the Ruger American Ranch in 7.62x39 that I also have in my collection as they both use the same magazines.

I have never owned a proper AK, but a grandfathered in zastava nPAP single stack AK that I need to figure out what to do with as it is just sitting in the back of the safe collecting dust. Convertting it to double stack is possible according to online reads, but with intrusive and questionable means...I might just make it into a Mini-Draganov or something.

Further input on the matter, I shifted over to favor 300 blk more than 7.62x39, but only because 300 blk is a very appealing cartridge to handload vs. 7.62x39. If you're not planning on picking up reloading anytime soon/don't reload, then I would lean more for 7.62x39 as it's easier, cheaper, and more convenient to buy factory ammo for it despite of russian ammo import bans.

If you do reload, then 300 blackout has alot to offer; runs fast burning rifle/magnum pistol powders, 223 cases can be converted to 300 blk, cast bullets to keep the costs down, 30 cal projectile choice versatility for subs, supers, hunting, defense, etc. I do also reload 7.62x39, but brass is comparatively more rare and harder to police as AK's, SKS', and other 7.62x39 semi-autos are severely overgassed and has a tendency to shoot brass far and damage the brass a bit as well.

Last edited:

Hoons

May 15, 2019
    I had a Yugoslavia npap out of state. One of the main con for me is that it didn't run reliable with hollow points because it didn't have a feed ramp. If a gun can't run hollow points it's useless to me. Not sure if other manufacturers like arsenal aks are more reliable with hollow points.

Rocinante

Jul 19, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    There's also the M+M M10X, MD legal. It's basically a Sig 550 in an AK chassis, takes AK mags, and has a full monolithic upper.

Attachments

• MTIxNTIucG5n.png
      MTIxNTIucG5n.png
      44.8 KB · Views: 49

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads