• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MDGolom

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2010
    Baltimore County
    With the passing of SB281, it specifically names the AK-47 platform as an assault weapon and will be banned after 10/1/13. How does this affect the AK-74? Also, technically, the AK-47 is a milled receiver where as the AKM uses a receiver that is bent and uses trunnions.

I'll guess the AKM is out, but what about the AK-74?

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Also in the list: "Avtomat Kalashnikov semiautomatic rifle in any format".

That covers pretty much any AK rifle, and doesn't even rely on the "copy" language to do it.

Simply put, you're not dodging this one by arguing semantics.

MDGolom

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2010
    Baltimore County
    My .02: the AK-74 will be "copycatted" in but we may be able to get them post-281 by reducing features.

Exactly. It's not considered a copycat until it has the detachable magazine and two of the "evil" features. As long as it's a fixed stock, the flash suppressor shouldn't be an issue.

I'm looking at it from more of the building one from a receiver flat and parts kit.

MDGolom

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2010
    Baltimore County

That covers pretty much any AK rifle, and doesn't even rely on the "copy" language to do it.

Simply put, you're not dodging this one by arguing semantics.

That's I didn't see the tree through the Forest.

jawn

YOU TROLLIN!
    Feb 10, 2011
    INTARWEB
    That's I didn't see the tree through the Forest.

It's banned by name. Avtomat Kalishnikova and all copies. It doesn't matter what the features test says; that section applies to non-named firearms. Do not pass go. Do not collect $200.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Yep. Also doesn't ban pistols. The AK-47 thing _might_, but I doubt the MSP would interpret it as such. *shrugs*

ST19AG_WGreymon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Odenton
    I don't have the financial means to invest in the tooling and parts right now. So I'm just going to buy complete recievers and parts kits when I can and do screw builds just so they're "complete", not to be fired. I will then invest in the proper tooling down the line and rivet them.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006

Well, technically that language only bans AK semiautomatic rifles.

Fully automatic AK's are completely overlooked by SB-281.

:cool:

Rem700fan

Ammo Disposal Expert
    Jul 11, 2012
    Eastern Panhandle, WV
    I don't have the financial means to invest in the tooling and parts right now. So I'm just going to buy complete recievers and parts kits when I can and do screw builds just so they're "complete", not to be fired. I will then invest in the proper tooling down the line and rivet them.

Why waste time and money screw building? Buying a complete receiver now will allow you to complete the build the right way, anytime down the road. Think of it along the lines of having a registered AR lower and completing the rest of the build later.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    It's banned by name. Avtomat Kalishnikova and all copies. It doesn't matter what the features test says; that section applies to non-named firearms. Do not pass go. Do not collect $200.

Only if they are semi-automatic rifles... :) Suppressed bolt action AK, with the gas system disabled, LEGAL! :lol2:
    Time to start building AK AOW's! NOT A RIFLE. Can't have an AK rifle, no problem, here's a Krink without a stock. :lol2:
    Fortunately, I can see an AK mag compatible Vz.58 in MD's future! :lol2:
    Full auto is NOT banned. Time to make Maryland home to more NFA Tax stamps! :lol2:
    That's right, NOT BANNED is the full-auto! :lol2:
    Also NOT BANNED is the Semi Auto RPD, SG-43, and other wonderful belt fed weapons! :lol2:

Hey MoM, FU!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    roth405

Latest threads

Top Bottom