• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Someone has not been using tactical latches, I see...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Lots of opinion and no substance in this thread.

Keeping the RH Charger is not a handicap when a LH Charger is added. The RH Charger allows ambi operation when switching shoulders and it also allows you to do a press check with a modded safety. For example, you are shooting right handed and you want to do a press check, you turn the modded safety on, pull the LH handle back and the round will partially extract but stop before ejecting. The RH bolt handle stops the bolt from moving too far back when it contacts the safety. From there you just let it go back into battery.

The old press check on an AK is to look at the rounds in the mag if the topr ounnd is on the Right you, load, charge, remove mag and examine if the top round is now opposite on the left, if you your have a live chamber, then reinsert the magazine. Thats alot of steps for a simple function. IMO

Trying to do a press check any other way can on an AK cause a hard malfunction.

Then you have the RH bolt handle that can act as a BHO for showing clear when using a notched safety. While a Yugo Mag will do this, I have always been instructed to NOT leave mags in on a cold range. Thus the only other options are a spent casing or chamber flag.

There are downsides to a LH reciprocating charger and it has to do with the support hand placement. If you do a mag hold you can seriously screw up your thumb when the bolt moves. While its possible to hold a bolt closed with no recoil spring it will chop you up if theres momentum before your body parts make contact with that moving Bolt Handle. If you add a LH reciprocating Charger then install a Magpul AFG or Romy Forend to force your hand into a consistent spot AWAY from the Reciprocating Bolt Handle.

The dublin system is not a bad system. You can do all of your stripping and maintenence. The bolt gets flipped to remove the bolt head. You can even remove the fcg with the bolt installed. Its a good system but DONT remove your RH charger. Keep it.

The name of the game is improving the users ability to perform a function of the weapon with as little movement, practice, and waste. A LH charger does that for a RH user.

Last edited:

Sleeping Troll

Jul 12, 2012
    Ambidextrous charging handles for ar15's are hard to come by I hear. Someone was looking for 2 at a recent gun show. Got lucky and grabbed all 4 off of the guys table after waiting 5 months to get one.

DarthZed

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2010
    Howard County
    No. The AR15 does not have a left hand charging handle similar to the FAL/SCAR/AUG etc. You have to come completely out of the gun to charge it, and a right handed person will use their right hand pull the charging handle back. And no, Im not trying to make the AK like the AR, I simply posted up a new product and asked if anyone had experience with it. If the only thing you have to add is smart ass comments like usual go somewhere else. kthx

I don't do that, I hold the gun by the pistol grip and cycle the bolt with my left. I'd think only a left handed person would do use their right (non-dominant) hand, and perhaps not even them. Many left handed people still use their right hand as the dominant one, and only use the their left for writing.

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    You have to come completely out of the gun to charge it, and a right handed person will use their right hand pull the charging handle back.

Speak for yourself, I have no problem charging it, keeping it up and pointed at the threat, with my left hand (i'm right-handed and shoot thusly).

I guess it's all in how (whether?) you do different types of drills with it. *shrug*

I will say, the only folks I've ever seen who "need" a left-side charging handle on their AK's are the guys who like to show 'em off at the range and brag about how they have all the neat whizbang toys. My time with CJSOTF/TF373 in 2009 (and I'm willing to bet the gig for which i'm about to leave, with lots of the same colleagues) yielded almost zero modifications to AK's, save for the occasional railed upper HG or rear peep on the dust cover...

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I will say, the only folks I've ever seen who "need" a left-side charging handle on their AK's are the guys who like to show 'em off at the range and brag about how they have all the neat whizbang toys. My time with CJSOTF/TF373 in 2009 (and I'm willing to bet the gig for which i'm about to leave, with lots of the same colleagues) yielded almost zero modifications to AK's, save for the occasional railed upper HG or rear peep on the dust cover...

Slapping a bunch of crap on any gun without purpose is stupid, but just because you prefer the Legacy AK Design does not mean the mods are ineffective.

I have enhancements on my AK's because its more efficient for me. Same goes for the customers I have put them on for. It has nothing to do with being tactical or bragging, it has to do with efficiency for THAT USER.

Interesting to see the Legacy AK fans trash those who change an AK, yet you rarely see the other side trash the AK Traditionalists. In my experience its often people who are too cheap to buy good gear or pay someone to make mods that trash others setups. Youll often hear the Traditionalists say that AK's cant be suppressed effectively. Again, its people regurgitating the same crap they have been fed with no hands on experience, or they are just too damn cheap to take the plunge.

Good trainers like Vickers, Suarez, and Haley also have mods on their AK's. Perhaps they didnt ge the MEMO that they are posers.

Regardless of what Traditionalists think, when done properly Extended Safety Tabs, BHO Notches, LH Chargers, Muzzle Devices, Suppressors, Rails, and Optics improve the effectiveness of the Kalash. Countires like Poland and Russia have modified their AK's to meet these "Poser Standards". Perhaps someone should tell them the 1950's AK design is perfect, screw the AKM too.

While were at it maybe the U.S. should keep the M16 as they were issued in 1969 too.

:rolleyes:

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    Actually, according to Jesus, we should be using stainless lever guns. I'm inclined to agree.

38818.jpg

boss66tcode

a bit of an Eddie Haskle
    Sep 8, 2008
    in 'da hills
    Actually, according to Jesus, we should be using stainless lever guns. I'm inclined to agree.

38818.jpg

However, if we were supposed to use stainless lever guns, and someone wanted to extended hammer on the left side rather than the right (popular because it allows you to cock the hammer with a scope mounted), I'd be good with that if it worked for them.

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    If they wanted that, odds are it's because they're left-handed. And we have no place for people with such handicaps in the service. :D

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Lever Guns are way overrated IMHO. I see tons of them for problems, not custom work but problems. I see them so often I now refuse to work on them. I leave those turds for Scott to spend all day fixing.

IMO the AK whoops a lever guns ass in reliability/durability.

boss66tcode

a bit of an Eddie Haskle
    Sep 8, 2008
    in 'da hills
    Lever Guns are way overrated IMHO. I see tons of them for problems, not custom work but problems. I see them so often I now refuse to work on them. I leave those turds for Scott to spend all day fixing.

IMO the AK whoops a lever guns ass in reliability/durability.

Iveering off topic, but what sort of malfunctions in lever guns are you seeing? The only lever guns I'm really familiar with are the marlin and winchesters in 30-30. I'm curious to know what tends to come in for repair, because those models seemed pretty reliable to me.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Iveering off topic, but what sort of malfunctions in lever guns are you seeing? The only lever guns I'm really familiar with are the marlin and winchesters in 30-30. I'm curious to know what tends to come in for repair, because those models seemed pretty reliable to me.

Failure to feed, broken gates, timing off, broken parts. Fudds are normally the cause for the problems (Poor Maintenance), but the current quality of lever guns dosent lend well to much abuse IMO. Its NOT the design, its corner cutting.

If I had a choice between the 2 it would be Marlin. They have been more consistent with the design.

FWIW, Im not referring to the the OLD Winchesters and Marlins made with SUPERB quality and craftsmanship. I hate the modern ones made in the last 50 or so years.

The old ones are a pleasure to work on and a real piece of history.

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    Only leverguns I'd own would be able to be shipped directly to me per my C&R. :)

BTW, thanks for not taking my minor trolling *TOO* personally kids. Someone had to play devil's advocate, and since you don't have to deal with me for several months, I figured I'd take one for the team. ;)

Love you chad. :D

boss66tcode

a bit of an Eddie Haskle
    Sep 8, 2008
    in 'da hills
    Failure to feed, broken gates, timing off, broken parts. Fudds are normally the cause for the problems (Poor Maintenance), but the current quality of lever guns dosent lend well to much abuse IMO. Its NOT the design, its corner cutting.

If I had a choice between the 2 it would be Marlin. They have been more consistent with the design.

FWIW, Im not referring to the the OLD Winchesters and Marlins made with SUPERB quality and craftsmanship. I hate the modern ones made in the last 50 or so years.

The old ones are a pleasure to work on and a real piece of history.

Good to hear,the only ones I've ever shot have been the old ones. Glad to hear it its production issues and not design issues. Old guns are just better quality in my opinion anyway.

Scott7891

Love those Combloc guns
    Sep 4, 2007
    Back in MD sadly
    Lots of opinion and no substance in this thread.

Keeping the RH Charger is not a handicap when a LH Charger is added. The RH Charger allows ambi operation when switching shoulders and it also allows you to do a press check with a modded safety. For example, you are shooting right handed and you want to do a press check, you turn the modded safety on, pull the LH handle back and the round will partially extract but stop before ejecting. The RH bolt handle stops the bolt from moving too far back when it contacts the safety. From there you just let it go back into battery.

The old press check on an AK is to look at the rounds in the mag if the topr ounnd is on the Right you, load, charge, remove mag and examine if the top round is now opposite on the left, if you your have a live chamber, then reinsert the magazine. Thats alot of steps for a simple function. IMO

Trying to do a press check any other way can on an AK cause a hard malfunction.

Then you have the RH bolt handle that can act as a BHO for showing clear when using a notched safety. While a Yugo Mag will do this, I have always been instructed to NOT leave mags in on a cold range. Thus the only other options are a spent casing or chamber flag.

There are downsides to a LH reciprocating charger and it has to do with the support hand placement. If you do a mag hold you can seriously screw up your thumb when the bolt moves. While its possible to hold a bolt closed with no recoil spring it will chop you up if theres momentum before your body parts make contact with that moving Bolt Handle. If you add a LH reciprocating Charger then install a Magpul AFG or Romy Forend to force your hand into a consistent spot AWAY from the Reciprocating Bolt Handle.

The dublin system is not a bad system. You can do all of your stripping and maintenence. The bolt gets flipped to remove the bolt head. You can even remove the fcg with the bolt installed. Its a good system but DONT remove your RH charger. Keep it.

The name of the game is improving the users ability to perform a function of the weapon with as little movement, practice, and waste. A LH charger does that for a RH user.

Thank you for your wisdom and insight. Reading this ill probably just stick to the stock charging handle it is what I am used to anyway.

Slapping a bunch of crap on any gun without purpose is stupid, but just because you prefer the Legacy AK Design does not mean the mods are ineffective.

I have enhancements on my AK's because its more efficient for me. Same goes for the customers I have put them on for. It has nothing to do with being tactical or bragging, it has to do with efficiency for THAT USER.

Interesting to see the Legacy AK fans trash those who change an AK, yet you rarely see the other side trash the AK Traditionalists. In my experience its often people who are too cheap to buy good gear or pay someone to make mods that trash others setups. Youll often hear the Traditionalists say that AK's cant be suppressed effectively. Again, its people regurgitating the same crap they have been fed with no hands on experience, or they are just too damn cheap to take the plunge.

Good trainers like Vickers, Suarez, and Haley also have mods on their AK's. Perhaps they didnt ge the MEMO that they are posers.

Regardless of what Traditionalists think, when done properly Extended Safety Tabs, BHO Notches, LH Chargers, Muzzle Devices, Suppressors, Rails, and Optics improve the effectiveness of the Kalash. Countires like Poland and Russia have modified their AK's to meet these "Poser Standards". Perhaps someone should tell them the 1950's AK design is perfect, screw the AKM too.

While were at it maybe the U.S. should keep the M16 as they were issued in 1969 too.

:rolleyes:

I have no problem with tactical setups. I want to do a 7.62x39 and 5.45x39.5 setup one day.

I do have a problem with the tapco wannabes and crappy tactical setups that look more bling than sense.

boss66tcode

a bit of an Eddie Haskle
    Sep 8, 2008
    in 'da hills
    Thank you for your wisdom and insight. Reading this ill probably just stick to the stock charging handle it is what I am used to anyway.

I have no problem with tactical setups. I want to do a 7.62x39 and 5.45x39.5 setup one day.

I do have a problem with the tapco wannabes and crappy tactical setups that look more bling than sense.

Agreed - guns should be function over form.

the Javid

Part time baby killer
    Mar 20, 2012
    Bowie
    I may be wrong here.. but isint this whole "staying on target while reloading" thing kinda a tacticool concept? Ive never been in combat...so to those honorable ones who have...when you reload your rifle, do you take cover or remain standing in the and...stay on target...?

Actually it is situational dependant. If there is cover close enough to get to before I can complete the reload, correct malfunction, ect. then hell yeah I'm gonna take cover first. If I can't get to cover, no cover is available, or I would have the malfunction corrected or reload complete before reaching cover I preform it " tacticooly". Room clearing is usually an example of when tacticool reloads and correction of malfunction should be performed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Marty S.

Latest threads

Top Bottom