• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Feb 28, 2013
    Can an AK cleaning rod be cut down and rethreaded?

Engagement Armament told me today they were too busy, and Scott's Gunsmithing told me it can't be done. :wtf:

I wish I had a die that small.

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    if you're okay with having it threaded 8-32 for "normal" american-style accessories, I have a die for that. could prolly cut down with a dremel or cut-off saw.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Can an AK cleaning rod be cut down and rethreaded?

Engagement Armament told me today they were too busy, and Scott's Gunsmithing told me it can't be done. :wtf:

I wish I had a die that small.

Someone there had their tard hat on if they told you that. :sad20: Scott has stopped taking in work but I would like to apologize to you for being told that. It is 100% wrong. I have shortened many AK Rods, even for my own guns. They do have some rods in the AK case at the shop for sale. I put them there.

As Armed Ferrett said it can be done with the right DIE. I cut the rod to length, machine to the proper diameter in the lathe and recut the threads in the lathe with a die holder. I can only do American Threads though.

What I can do if someone wants a custom length with commie threads then I can cut the rod in half, remove length and reweld it. Once I m done theres just a short discolored section but its VERY smooth.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Someone there had their tard hat on if they told you that. :sad20:

As Armed Ferrett said it can be done with the right DIE. I cut the rod to length, machine to the proper diameter in the lathe and recut the threads in the lathe with a die holder. I can only do American Threads though.

What I can do if someone wants a custom length with commie threads then I can cut the rod in half, remove length and reweld it. Once I m done theres just a short discolored section but its VERY smooth.

that's going in the "out of context" thread lol

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    I know the ones I have aren't that short...sorry
    This could go in the "out of context thread" as well... lol

It is not hard to shorten a rod.. like Chad said, a lathe and die can fix you right up.. I can even do commie threads... ;)

But.. wondering why a few extra inches is a bad thing?

Feb 28, 2013
    Someone there had their tard hat on if they told you that. :sad20: Scott has stopped taking in work but I would like to apologize to you for being told that. It is 100% wrong.

I appreciate that. He certainly wasn't the first numbskull I've ran into in gunshops lately. It was a younger fella, dark hair, about 6'4".

I know the ones I have aren't that short...sorry

No problem sir.

If you want an AK cleaning rod that short, purchase an AMD-65 cleaning rod that measures 11-1/2 inches long.

http://centerfiresystems.com/ak-p39.aspx

Might check that out, thank you.

Yeah, I busted out laughin at that one too.

But.. wondering why a few extra inches is a bad thing?
    Because we're talking about an Arsenal SLR-106CR. The long ass cleaning rod they sent with the rifle sticks out damn near to the end of the barrel.

Can't have that.:tdown:

It's stupid lookin' and it done scratched up my damn flash hider.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I appreciate that. He certainly wasn't the first numbskull I've ran into in gunshops lately. It was a younger fella, dark hair, about 6'4".

No problem sir.

Might check that out, thank you.

Yeah, I busted out laughin at that one too.

Because we're talking about an Arsenal SLR-106CR. The long ass cleaning rod they sent with the rifle sticks out damn near to the end of the barrel.

Can't have that.:tdown:

It's stupid lookin' and it done scratched up my damn flash hider.

I was there today. If I had been called up front I would have helped you.

I was busy in the back getting may ass kicked by 200 plus rounds of Saiga 12 testing. My shoulders look like hell and one Saiga decided to close on my thumb and f-ed up my finger.

Feb 28, 2013
    I was there today. If I had been called up front I would have helped you.

Yeah, would've been nice meet to meet ya.

I was busy in the back getting may ass kicked by 200 plus rounds of Saiga 12 testing. My shoulders look like hell and one Saiga decided to close on my thumb and f-ed up my finger.

That was you making all that racket? I heard all that noise before I even got out of my truck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom